Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Icelandair captain takes pax on a volcano sightseeing tour

Icelandair captain takes pax on a volcano sightseeing tour

Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Both Icelandair and Air Iceland are part of the Icelandair group. The twitter account belongs to the parent company, thus the article (and the tweet) are correct.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
Both Icelandair and Air Iceland are part of the Icelandair group. The twitter account belongs to the parent company, thus the article (and the tweet) are correct.
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know the two belonged to the same parent company. ^
Old Sep 6, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
Originally Posted by sky303
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know the two belonged to the same parent company. ^

Icelandair Group, the parent company, has a number of different businesses which include Air Iceland, Loftleidir Icelandic, Icelandair Hotels, and others:

http://www.icelandairgroup.com/businesses/
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
Wonderful news. Hard to imagine a pilot from a US carrier doing the same though.
Many years ago I was on board an Alaska Airlines B727-200 en route from LAX to SEA. North of Sacramento, the Captain made an announcement concerning air traffic control delays due to weather that went something like this, "Folks, we can proceed directly to the Seattle area and then be placed in a holding pattern or we can take a little aerial tour of Mt. Shasta which is just ahead of us". Mt. Shasta is a rather large volcano located in northern California which has a summit elevation of 14,162 feet. So that's what we did. The 727 did two complete 360 degree turns around Mt. Shasta. It was a beautiful afternoon with great visibility so we got a good look at the volcano. We then continued on to SEA.

This was the only time I've had the opportunity to do a bit of aerial sightseeing from a jetliner.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Fokker 50 or Dash 8

Originally Posted by jlemon
My thought as well....and when I saw the photo, I thought it was actually taken from a high wing aircraft, probably a turboprop. BTW, I have an airline industry background which includes a management position with an ATR-42 operator in Hawaii.

Icelandair does not operate turboprops, only 752s and 753s.......however, Air Iceland does operate propjets, specifically the Dash 8 and Fokker 50 primarily on local service routes on the island. Both are high wing aircraft.

So I'm thinking that Icelandair is not really the air carrier involved here and it was actually Air Iceland.

Of course, this would not be the first time the news media got the facts wrong.......
I think its a Dash 8... Any thoughts...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.