Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Cancelled flight compensation and missing baggage (FlyBe)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Good morning,

I am after a little help please.

We flew on the 28th Aug from Chicago to Dusseldorf with American Airlines and then were to fly with Flybe from Dusseldorf to Manchester. The Flybe flight to Manchester 10.20am was cancelled and we ended up flying Dusseldorf to Birmingham at 5pm and then Flybe provided us a taxi back to Manchester.

Our 3 suitcases did not arrive at the other end. They were checked in at Chicago to go through to Manchester! I have filed a delayed baggage report at Birmingham. Just wondering what I do now? do we just have to wait and see or can I personally do any chasing?... (our life is in those cases and for all 3 of them to be missing makes me wonder if they were ever on the American Airlines flight in the first place)

Also as our Flybe flight was cancelled by them (we do not know why and when we asked they could not tell us) would you know if we are eligible to claim compensation - Up to 1,500km, (all flights) 2 hours+ €250

I would be really grateful for any advice. Many thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Cancelled flight and missing baggage

You normally would need to clear customs at the first point of entry to the uk. Then hand the bags back to the recheck desk. likely stuck in customs expect 5 to 10 days before you see them again best case
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:34 am
Original Poster

American Airlines in Dusseldorf have just rung me, they have found our 3 cases. I am so relieved.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Have learnt my lesson, will never do connecting flights again unless they are with the same airline
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by d1191
Have learnt my lesson, will never do connecting flights again unless they are with the same airline
Sticking with one airline may make things easier, but it doesn't guarantee that bags will arrive on time. Last June I flew DCA-PHL-MUC on US, with 2-3 hours to make the connection. My bag was left behind in PHL. The agent at MUC was very helpful, and the bag was delivered to where I was staying in Innsbruck/Austria a day and a half later.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Glad to hear you got your bag ok. I`m just so relieved to know that ours have been found and are on the way back to us, just hope it doesn`t take too long.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I wouldn't suggest going extreme like that. Taking that position is going to severely limit where you can travel in this world. Connecting flights are a necessary part of travel, and thousands of FlyerTalkers connect between different airlines every day without incident.

Anyway, (mod hat on, now): normally, international standard is that your final carrier is responsible for handling your lost luggage claim (regardless of which airline's fault it is), but since AA has already contacted you about the lost luggage and arranged to get you taken care of, I'll go ahead and move this thread to the AA forum.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk

Last edited by jackal; Sep 1, 2014 at 1:49 am
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by acvitale
You normally would need to clear customs at the first point of entry to the uk. Then hand the bags back to the recheck desk. likely stuck in customs expect 5 to 10 days before you see them again best case
That is not normal. It is quite common to clear customs at final point; unlike USA , it is quite possible to check bags through to a domestic flight in the UK

In the OP's case, I don't see that there was any domestic flight anyway; US-Germany-UK is purely international flights

There is no lesson to learn.

Once in a while bags fail to get on the flight, this happens whether it is one airline or 2. Just make sure to have some things in hand luggage to handle an initial luggage delay. Travel insurance will cover purchases where luggage is delayed by more than a few hours ( the AMEX I use pays out $700 for a 6 hours luggage delay towards purchases )

If your flight was cancelled, then you are very likely to be eligible for compensation under EU261

Last edited by Dave Noble; Aug 31, 2014 at 11:34 pm
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'm pretty conservative on this, myself, having had bags chase me around the world, always one city behind. I'm willing to have my bag(s) connect in nearly all cities to which I fly provided that everything is on one itinerary. If there are separate PNRs, I claim my bag and recheck whenever I change PNRs.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Great news... 3 suitcases landed in Birmingham on the Lufthansa flight this afternoon and I have just had a call to say expect them at midnight.

Am definitely going to apply for compensation under EU261 but not sure what to put in the letter where it says ``This flight was cancelled [insert the number of days or hours] before flying`` as we don`t actually know when it was cancelled. The flight from Manchester to Dusseldorf that we were due to return on was also cancelled.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Just make sure to have some things in hand luggage to handle an initial luggage delay.
And never check anything that is truly irreplaceable. Doo doo happens.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, we have things in hand luggage on way out in case of a luggage delay on the way out. Don`t usually bother for return journey.

Didn`t realise though until this happened that your travel insurance only covers delayed baggage for outward flight and not inward.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks, we have things in hand luggage on way out in case of a luggage delay on the way out. Don`t usually bother for return journey.

Didn`t realise though until this happened that your travel insurance only covers delayed baggage for outward flight and not inward.
In my experience it covers any journey portion other than that which returns you to your starting location. Once back at the start, then it is taken that you have clothes etc at home ( or as a last resort if you packed everything, I assume that they expect that you have washing machines et al )
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Our 3 cases have arrived... I honestly thought on Friday night I would never see them again. Luckily they are hard sided ones so apart from being a bit grubby and having a few extra scratches everything seems ok. I am so relieved.

Thank you all for your advice, I have learnt a lot over the past few weeks.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Please could someone tell me if this is all the information I need to put into my letter for compensation to Flybe:

I am writing regarding flight BE 7214 on 29th August 2014, due to depart from Dusseldorf to Manchester at the scheduled departure time of 10.20 am. Booking reference is ...........This flight was cancelled by you on Thursday 28th August and I am seeking compensation under EC Regulation 261/2004.

The passengers in the party were ..............

My scheduled flight length was 655km, and the first alternative flight back to the UK offered to us was BE7046 which left Dusseldorf at 5.00pm which was 6 hours 40 minutes later, also this flight flew into Birmingham and we then had an additional 2 hours travelling time to take us from Birmingham Airport to Manchester Airport which was our final destination (in total 8 hours 40 minutes). I’m therefore seeking compensation of €250 per passenger in my party. The total compensation sort is €750.

I look forward to hearing from you in response to this letter within 14 days. If I do not receive a satisfactory response I intend to pursue my complaint further.

Yours faithfully,

Not sure what I need to copy and send with it? I have expedia booking, boarding passes, prints showing the previous flight Manchester / Dusseldorf as cancelled and also our flight as cancelled and the paperwork they gave us in Dusseldorf showing the other flights from our holiday.

Would be grateful if anyone can please offer any advice as I want to make sure I get it right. Am going to send this letter recorded delivery tomorrow to the UK address and will email the address in Finland the same letter (this is the address on their passenger charter).

Thank you.

Last edited by d1191; Sep 4, 2014 at 2:09 am Reason: Personal info redacted by moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.