Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Cancelled flight compensation and missing baggage (FlyBe)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled flight compensation and missing baggage (FlyBe)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

if it was me, I would have 3 letters sent, one per passenger since you are not entitled to their compensation, though no reason not to use 1 envelope

I would avoid the "If I do not receive a satisfactory response I intend to pursue my complaint further." in an opening letter ; if you end up having to contact it again, then can include "If payment is not received within 7 days, I will refer this to the small claims track of the county court system"

The airline should be able to verify that you were on the flight and its status, so I wouldn't send in any of the other documents, but keep them in case they are needed later

Other than that , it seems to include the relevent information

Were you given a reason for the cancellatiion?

Dave
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Hi Dave,
Thank you for replying.
I put us all on one letter as we all traveled together, but there is no problem doing 3.
Will take the bit out about pursuing further.
We did ask why the flight was cancelled but no one could tell us!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I agree with Dave Noble's comments on your letter.

I also suggest editing your post #15 to remove the number of the booking reference and the names of the three passengers. This information belongs in the letter, of course, but I wouldn't post it online.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:10 am
Original Poster

JPG3392 never thought about some of the info, I just copied and pasted. Thank you
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by d1191
The total compensation sort is €750.
You may have removed this wording by now, but if not, it is 'sought' not 'sort'.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:08 am
Original Poster

No letters sent yet Mark_T, thanks, think I got a bit stressed over the lost luggage situation and now want to do everything yesterday! will take an hour later this afternoon to do the letters properly.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Hi, wondering if I could possibly ask for a little more help?

Tomorrow it will be 14 days since Flybe signed for our letters requesting compensation (I have a copy of their signature so know they received at the same time I emailed Flybe in Finland attaching our letters which was acknowledged by an automatic response but nothing else has been received). Just wondering if anyone can suggest what I do next as I am determined to see this through. Might it be another `gentle` reminder that they have not replied or something a little stronger?

I`d be most appreciative if anyone can help and for any advice.

Many thanks
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Fourteen days isn't long in airline response time IMO; I'd give Flybe thirty days to respond, then follow up.

Though you began your trip with American Airlines, your baggage claim issue was always with the last carrier, Flybe, even though the bags were (fortunately) retrieved and finally delivered by Lufthansa. Congratulations!

Similarly, your cancellation, rerouting and EU261 claim were (and are) with Flybe, not American. Because of this I'm moving this to the proper forum to hopefully get more informed input (from Flybe flyers and those more likely to be familiar with EU261 claims than AA flyers). My apologies for the inconvenience, but we want to make sure your thread is in the best place.

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 23, 2014 at 12:21 pm Reason: correction
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Hi, it is now 28 days since we wrote to Flybe regarding compensation for our cancelled flight. I know that our letters were delivered and have a copy signature when they were signed for.

Also to the email I sent to Customer Services in Finland attaching copies of our letters, I received ..."Thank you for your email to Flybe Finland. Please be advised that we handle the emails on weekdays and reply as soon as possible to all emails received" and this has also been ignored.

Was after a little more help please? Should we now just chase a reply, or should we be sending a Before Action letter? (I also read somewhere that posting on the airlines social media site sometimes gets a response!! but not sure about doing that!) If possible I would like to try and get as far as I can before involving one of the companies that will take on your claim.

Any help or advice will be very much appreciated. Many thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Why did you send it to FlyBe in Finland? I think you'd be better dealing with the UK office:

PO Box 795
Exeter
Devon
EX1 9UL
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

I sent our letters to the office in Exeter, Devon and have a copy of their signature acknowledging the envelope with the letters in when it was delivered. I also sent an email to Finland attaching the same letters and their automatic response showed they had the email. Silly me assumed one of them would have replied.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by d1191
If possible I would like to try and get as far as I can before involving one of the companies that will take on your claim.
IMHO the best approach is indeed to delegate the claim to a specialized EC261/2004 collection agency. The fee they charge is well worth the time and hassle they spare you.

Just my two cents.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Hi, just wanted to let you know we have had a result. I messaged Flybe this afternoon asking why they had not replied to our letters and received the following reply...

Thank you for your contact via Social Media with regards to your cancelled flight from Dusseldorf to Manchester on 29th August 2014. I understand how frustrating it can be when your plans are disrupted and for that I apologise.
For your information the flight was cancelled due to Cabin crew sickness. The aircraft must have a full compliment of Cabin crew before it can depart for your safety and comfort.
In view of the reason for the delay you are entitled to compensation under EU Regulations. This consists of €250.00 (£200.00) monetary compensation or a credit note to the value of €350.00 (£300.00). The credit note would be valid for 12 months for redemption against future Flybe flights. If you confirm your preference of payment to us, we will process this as soon as possible.

I have replied just to check that as there were 3 of us, this means they will be paying £600 (and am still waiting to hear) but so relieved its nearly sorted and I hopefully will have £600 towards next years flights.

Thank you all for your help
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
A good result.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks you. I am so pleased, just had a reply and £600 will be paid into my bank account as soon as I give them the details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.