Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Icelandair now offering bids to upgrade 10 days before flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Icelandair now offering bids to upgrade 10 days before flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:58 am

Why do people pay for Saga Class if they can just upgrade for a lower price, perhaps much lower?
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by claurianta2
Once you win an upgrade bid, can you choose any open seat, or do they auto-assign you without the ability to change seats? Particularly important on flights where Economy Comfort is partly in Saga Class seats.
My experience in June 2017: Bid from confirmed Economy Comfort to Saga was accepted. Logged onto Icelandair; no seats showing as assigned. Only 2 (non-adjacent) seats remaining on the seat map so I selected them and saved. However when I checked back those same 2 seats still showed as open.

Turns out we had been assigned 4AC at the time of the upgrade, but at no point did it ever show in our reservation. They only showed up when I checked in online the day before departure.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:34 am

I got the email about bidding for upgraded seats and after doing some research on Expert Flyer I decided to put in requests. Would appreciate help in determining if I should go back and change amounts.
We are flying IAD to ARN through REK and then home from AMS to IAD through REK. We leave next Saturday and come home 8 days later
We currently have two seats in economy in the middle aisle except for our AMS to REK where we have two seats in economy on the right side. So I figured I wouldn't ask for an upgrade for that flight.
All updgrades I asked for Economy Plus

This is what I did and why with research from Expert Flyer
IAD to REK
5 seats available business and 4 seats premium economy
I offered $160 per passenger which was the mid yellow zone

REK to ARN
16 seat Business
4 seats Premium Economy

I offered $125 per person which was mid yellow

I didn't do AMS to REK

REK to IAD
11 seats Business
0 seats Premium

I offered $160 per passenger which was mid yellow, however since Expert Flyer is showing no seats Premium class available I'm pretty sure my offer won't be accepted. Should I have tried for the lowest amount for business class?

Advice welcomed... My email said that I can make changes up to three days before the flight.

Thanks!
Deb
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:31 pm

Kona2012, please let us know if your bids are accepted. Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Kona2012
I got the email about bidding for upgraded seats and after doing some research on Expert Flyer I decided to put in requests. Would appreciate help in determining if I should go back and change amounts.
We are flying IAD to ARN through REK and then home from AMS to IAD through REK. We leave next Saturday and come home 8 days later
We currently have two seats in economy in the middle aisle except for our AMS to REK where we have two seats in economy on the right side. So I figured I wouldn't ask for an upgrade for that flight.
All updgrades I asked for Economy Plus

This is what I did and why with research from Expert Flyer
IAD to REK
5 seats available business and 4 seats premium economy
I offered $160 per passenger which was the mid yellow zone

REK to ARN
16 seat Business
4 seats Premium Economy

I offered $125 per person which was mid yellow

I didn't do AMS to REK

REK to IAD
11 seats Business
0 seats Premium

I offered $160 per passenger which was mid yellow, however since Expert Flyer is showing no seats Premium class available I'm pretty sure my offer won't be accepted. Should I have tried for the lowest amount for business class?

Advice welcomed... My email said that I can make changes up to three days before the flight.

Thanks!
Deb
An update to my upgrade bidding

My first bidding was rejected. I received the email this morning and our flight leaves tomorrow evening. However, due to having a free trial membership with ExpertFlyer I logged in this morning and could see that seats in the economy section of AB and FG were blocked, so I assumed available. I called Iceland air and asked if there was anyway my husband and I could be moved from the middle to the side and my request was granted for our first flight. We were a couple rows up to FG. However, she told me she wasn't able to move seats on any of our other flights.
I am still waiting for information regarding the bidding on our flight Sunday. I don't hold out much hope for that one either.
I upped the bid for our flight home from REK to IAD to $200 per seat in Economy Comfort. That now puts me in the light green zone. But ExpertFlyer shows no economy comfort seats available for that flight so again no expecting to get anything.
Will continue to update...
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:52 pm

An update to my upgrade bidding

My first bidding was rejected. I received the email this morning and our flight leaves tomorrow evening. However, due to having a free trial membership with ExpertFlyer I logged in this morning and could see that seats in the economy section of AB and FG were blocked, so I assumed available. I called Iceland air and asked if there was anyway my husband and I could be moved from the middle to the side and my request was granted for our first flight. We were a couple rows up to FG. However, she told me she wasn't able to move seats on any of our other flights.
I am still waiting for information regarding the bidding on our flight Sunday. I don't hold out much hope for that one either.
I upped the bid for our flight home from REK to IAD to $200 per seat in Economy Comfort. That now puts me in the light green zone. But ExpertFlyer shows no economy comfort seats available for that flight so again no expecting to get anything.
Will continue to update...
Thanks for the update Kona2012!

So to review, for IAD-KEF you bid $160 for Economy Comfort (mid-yellow zone) with ExpertFlyer showing 4 seats available, but you weren't successful.

Any updates on your KEF-ARN bid?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Thanks for the update Kona2012!

So to review, for IAD-KEF you bid $160 for Economy Comfort (mid-yellow zone) with ExpertFlyer showing 4 seats available, but you weren't successful.

Any updates on your KEF-ARN bid?
Another rejected bid for KEF-ARN... but he's an interesting twist, I completed online check in last night and I was able to move my seats to row 8 which is said to be economy comfort on Seat guru and Expert Flyer. However, it's a row of three and we have a middle and an aisle. Not sure what will happen when we get to the plane. I'll update of course.
Another addition - I changed my bids for my return flight KEF - IAD
Saga class bid of $350 each which was right at the beginning of the light green. And then after I put in that bid I was asked if I wanted to bid for economy comfort in case the Saga was rejected so I did and this time I bid $200. I was thinking well none of my other bids went throUgh and both of these bids is less than if I had gotten all of my bids. So we'll see.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:45 pm

Another rejected bid for KEF-ARN... but he's an interesting twist, I completed online check in last night and I was able to move my seats to row 8 which is said to be economy comfort on Seat guru and Expert Flyer. However, it's a row of three and we have a middle and an aisle. Not sure what will happen when we get to the plane. I'll update of course.
Another addition - I changed my bids for my return flight KEF - IAD
Saga class bid of $350 each which was right at the beginning of the light green. And then after I put in that bid I was asked if I wanted to bid for economy comfort in case the Saga was rejected so I did and this time I bid $200. I was thinking well none of my other bids went throUgh and both of these bids is less than if I had gotten all of my bids. So we'll see.
I'm a little surprised that mid-yellow didn't get you the seats! Keep us updated on whether beginning of light green works.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
Lowball

I just lowballed them today, 10 days before my IAD-KEF flight. Offered $120 each for two seats in economy comfort on the outbound and return. The outbound looks really light on the 757, while the inbound almost a week later on the 767 looks mostly full.

I'll let people know how I made out.

Question: I currently have two adjoining seats. On the first flight there looks to be plenty of empty pairs, but on the return it looks like mostly singles by the window. Will FI just move us to two of the singles? Do I have an option to keep my current seats so we can sit together?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Not successful

$155 bids on YEG-KEF and return for Economy Comfort did not result in an upgrade. We did get exit rows in 17 and this made the trip super comfy!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
$155 bids on YEG-KEF and return for Economy Comfort did not result in an upgrade. We did get exit rows in 17 and this made the trip super comfy!
Thanks for the DP. What color zone was that in?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If I recall it was at the top of the lowest zone. We were not ready to pay more and in retrospect ending up in Exit rows was just fine! 3 rows on each flight were Saga and 3 rows of Saga seats Economy Comfort.

I should add that flights in both directions were 100% full.

Last edited by Altaflyer; Aug 22, 2017 at 3:54 am
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Dreamworks
I just lowballed them today, 10 days before my IAD-KEF flight. Offered $120 each for two seats in economy comfort on the outbound and return. The outbound looks really light on the 757, while the inbound almost a week later on the 767 looks mostly full.

I'll let people know how I made out.

Question: I currently have two adjoining seats. On the first flight there looks to be plenty of empty pairs, but on the return it looks like mostly singles by the window. Will FI just move us to two of the singles? Do I have an option to keep my current seats so we can sit together?
Just a quick update, the upgrade on the outbound on the 24th cleared today (8/21)
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamworks
Just a quick update, the upgrade on the outbound on the 24th cleared today (8/21)
Thanks for the update, Dreamworks! What color zone was your bid in? And how many seats were empty in the outbound flight when you placed your bid?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Thanks for the update, Dreamworks! What color zone was your bid in? And how many seats were empty in the outbound flight when you placed your bid?
So E+ was pretty empty if I recall. And I bid in the dark red. Not the cheapest one, but the next one up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.