Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

Warning: easyjet flexi fares do not allow ANY route changes, even for a fee

Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

As I learned today after spending 20 minutes on the phone, buried deep in the Easyjet T&C is the following:

9.2.2 If You buy an easyJet Flexi You will be able to make an unlimited number of free changes to the Flight time in Your original Booking, subject to the changed Flight time falling within a fixed 4 week time window (starting 1 week before the original travel date and ending 3 weeks after the original travel date). Changes to your easyJet Flexi Booking are subject to seat availability on alternative Flights. easyJet Flexi Bookings do not allow route changes (i.e. You are not entitled to change the departure or destination airports of Your original Booking). You must make any change to Your easyJet Flexi Booking at least two hours before the departure time of Your original Booking, otherwise You will forfeit Your ability to make a change.
Therefore, even though I purchased a more expensive fare, to gain the flexibility of date changes, I ended up holding an even more restrictive ticket than I had intended, since I was completely unable to change the ticket routing (even for a fee).

In the end, I'm not out of pocket anything, as this is just going to get passed along to my client since they were the ones who caused the change in schedule, but I did want to warn others that it appears that you're almost always better off booking a traditional fare and then paying the change fee if you need to change your ticket.

Last edited by EnhancedByCO; Mar 6, 2014 at 1:00 pm Reason: Fix typo
Old Mar 6, 2014, 2:29 pm

Hardly buried

FLEXI fares - For travel within the next 120 days, departing from the UK to any easyJet destination. Flexi ticket allows unlimited date changes in a fixed 4 week period, subject to availability, for changes made at least 2 hours before original departure.
http://www.easyjet.com/en/business/flexi-fares

Unlimited free date changes to your flight within a 4 week period. From 1 week before to 3 weeks after the original travel date. Fares are available to book 120 days from the current date.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by EnhancedByCO
[...]
In the end, I'm not out of pocket anything, as this is just going to get passed along to my client since they were the ones who caused the change in schedule, but I did want to warn others that it appears that you're almost always better off booking a traditional fare and then paying the change fee if you need to change your ticket.
(My emphasis.)

I would demur, if you're not likely to want to change the route, but might well want to change to a flight on a different day / at a different time.

(Bear in mind that, with a flexibility window of -1 week to +3 weeks, it's possible to 'flex for the best flexi price', though you can't change the flight until 24 hours after purchase.)

Ultimately it all depends on one's individual circumstances, uncertain as they may be, when it comes to weighing up the options and possible costs.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanR
Hardly buried
Where do they mention anything about routing changes at either of those links? All I see is that date changes (-1/+3 weeks) are free, and then a subsequent link to the full T&C. As I noted, I had no expectation of free routing changes, but I (incorrectly) thought that if the standard cheaper fares allowed routing changes for a change fee, the flexi fares would also allow routing changes for a change fee.

What I find truly odd is that I was more than willing to give them an extra 80 euros (48 euro change fee and ~30 euro increase in fare), more than 50% of my original ticket, and yet easyjet's policy means they don't want it. Their loss, really, since it ends up I'm still going to be able to use the original ticket (after a complimentary date change) by changing around some of my ground transport.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:57 am

Programs: BA, IB, LH, U2
This has changed.
You can now change the route.
Click on "Change flight" and then use the drop down boxes for "From" and "To".
You get the value of what you originally paid as credit, so if the flight you are transferring to is more expensive then you have to pay the extra.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.