Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Wizzair - even worst than Ryanair?

Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:08 am
Original Poster
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Just returned from a 'forced' trip (no other alternative with legacy or other LCC) with Wizziair. Based on this return trip, my opinion is that Wizzair is even worst compared to Ryanair. Why?

1. Forced to pay for IATA approved cabin bag. According to their promotional video, the reason for this is to speed up boarding. In both my situation this was total rubbish especially if the flights are full, if you happen to be one of the final groups onboard, you can hardly find a place for your paid for bag. The crews are not helpful to find a space for you.
2. Totally inflexible to convert a paid for checked in luggage to a cabin baggage. I purchased in advance a check-in baggage allowance, but in the end that was not needed and I just wanted to bring the bag into the cabin with me. Was told that I would have to again purchase the cabin baggage allowance.
3. Customer service is in my opinion on the same par as Ryanair, totally not helpful and not undestanding. Every little thing, if without money involved, you are screwed.
4. Boarding without seat numbers and combination with the cabin bag situation makes things really bad.

Not sure if above experience was just my bad luck.

After this experience, this LCC is now at the bottom of LCC list. Will only fly them as my very last option.

Cheers!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: CSA OK+ Gold, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Accor Club Platinum

Flew several times with them - no issues - but then I had priority boarding, and I did not try to change anything.

I am not exactly surprised about the the experiences of OP - they are a LCC and their business model is making money on people who want to change stuff.

I can't imagine the other LCCs behaving that differently
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I fly Wizzair to Gdansk every 3-4 weeks. Always pay for priority boarding and extra leg room at the emergency exits.

Landed at Luton yesterday and the landing was so hard that the panel covering the emergency exit door release popped off the door, hit my head and armed the slides. When we parked on the stand, one of the cabin crew ran over and asked if I had touched anything. I explained what had happened and he told me not to touch anything. He never asked whether I was ok. I wasn't injured, just surprised, but I expected him to at least ask.

Customer service - non existent.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Yes it true, hungary airline run like mafia, take lots of care
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by flyerhog
Yes it true, hungary airline run like mafia, take lots of care
and you base this on what... ??? Are you knowledgeble on how wizz is run? Or the maffia, for that matter?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I think the reference is probably to strict adherence to rules rather than any criminal implications.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
My experience is the same.
Wizzair i much worst then Ryanair.
The seats are so tight. The seats on Ryanair are way better and with more leg room.

If you want to bring regular cabin bag on Wizzair flight you have to pay extra
There is no fee for the bag if it is 42x32x25 cm
Maybe it is fine if you carry only a laptop or a few pairs of socks.

From my experience with both i will take Ryanair any time over Wizzair and even alitalia.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
This was funny reading. I agree on those experiences to some degree, if you fly cheap, then you get nothing. With this attitude I have been very happy to fly Wizzair now and then.
I always carry nothing, take no extras and so on, and this way Wizzair has been the cheapest flight always (with my destinations) compared to Ryanair/xxxx, the service being as primitive as others, who cares when traveling "free"
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
It probably helps if you just accept that most LCCs stick rigidly to their rules. You decide what to buy (air ticket, seat assignment, 1 checked-in bag, etc) and you either take it or leave it - no substitutions, no changes of mind.

In general, I don't think any of them "hide" their rules, regulations and fees. It becomes clear after trying the LCCs that what might go as carry-on on an IATA-member airline is probably always far more generous than what goes as carry-on on an ELFAA-member airline - so the reference to an IATA-approved carry-on really has no relevance for the LCCs.

Paying for checked luggage is an optional extra that rarely gets refunded if not used. Bear in mind that these airlines make their profit totally from such ancillary fees - so they really will hold on to any cash you pay over and above the basic fare, and not refund/substitute if you decide you changed your mind. If you have to pay for cabin luggage, then that is probably dealt with as a separate charge for an entirely separate product. To the passenger, it might seem reasonable to expect one to be substituted for the other (especially when the fee already paid is greater than the "new" fee), but in practice, the staff member may not have the authority to authorise such a change (any more than, say, allowing you to put an unused checked-bag fee towards a priority boarding pass or towards purchase of items on board).

Best thing to do is: hold off on paying for any extras until you are absolutely certain which extras you need. You do not need to purchase the ticket plus all optional extras in one transaction at the same time - the extras can be added on at any time. But in all cases, do pay before going to the airport, as these are generally far cheaper when paid online than at the airport!

Last edited by irishguy28; Apr 16, 2014 at 4:45 am
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:25 am

isnt?

aren't checked bags cheaper with Wizz than Ryanair?

I think their goal is to keep the cabin "clear" and put as much as possible to the cargo hold - not as Ryanair, as their goal is to keep turnaround time low, that's why they don't "want" checked bags.

Maybe that could be a reason, why they introduced the cabin-baggage-fee.
I think you can bring up to 32 kg with checked baggage with Wizz.

THX
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hard to say that something is "better" or "worse". All depends on what your needs and price-sensitivity are. If you are looking for the cheapest way to get from A to B and don't need anything extra, go with what is cheapest.

If, on the other hand, you need bags, space, meals and the like -- pick a carrier which provides those.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Yes, Wizzair are worse than Ryanair

I even sent them this complaint a couple of weeks ago - not that they've replied !

Having paid extra for a "large" carry-on item, I was dismayed to learn that you impose a 10kg weight limit. This compares with Easyjet's unlimited allowance and British Airway's 23kg limit - neither of which charge extra for a standard sized carry-on.

I was further disgusted to find that having paid for my large/standard carry-on item - I would not be allowed bring my satchel - to go under my seat.

Having paid a total of almost 150 gbp for my one-way flight - this was truly the most miserable flying experience that I've had in recent years.

I am disgusted by your policies which make flying your airline so painful, and I will do everything I can to avoid flying with you in future.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

if you happen to be one of the final groups onboard, you can hardly find a place for your paid for bag. The crews are not helpful to find a space for you.

Cheers!
if you dont mind the bag not being near you,just leave the bag by your side and they will find place for it before takeoff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.