Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:23 am

Hand luggage

The weight limit of hand luggage is 10 kg on Norwegian for TATL flights. Does anyone know if they weigh your hand luggage in CPH and/or MCO?

We will fly in Premium, but we are paying the discount premium price so hand luggage is 10 kg (whereas if you pay for PremiumFlex you get 15 kg).

Our rollaboards probably weight 6-8 kg empty, so just wondering how stringent they are.

Also, are they as strict as they sound about the personal item, e.g. flat laptop bag, small purse? As long as it can fit under the seat in front of you, will it be acceptable?

Cheers.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your rollaboards are 8 kg empty!?

My rollaboard is less than that full
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:00 am

I need a one way ticket to the USA in January - and the Norwegian price is pretty good. I know about the extra fees for a bag etc, but what I'm curious about is the connection through Oslo. Is Oslo susceptible to delays etc in the winter, or are they pretty good at clearing snow etc? The connection time would be 2.5 hours and the connection would be on one ticket.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
Your rollaboards are 8 kg empty!?

My rollaboard is less than that full
Missed this post, sorry! Well, perhaps 8 kg is an exaggeration - I'll have to put them on the scale - but certainly we were well over the SAS carry-on weight limit the last time I weighed a packed rollaboard.

We both have Samsonite hard shell rollaboards and they aren't light.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by James91
I need a one way ticket to the USA in January - and the Norwegian price is pretty good. I know about the extra fees for a bag etc, but what I'm curious about is the connection through Oslo. Is Oslo susceptible to delays etc in the winter, or are they pretty good at clearing snow etc? The connection time would be 2.5 hours and the connection would be on one ticket.
Oslo airport seems to work pretty smoothly in winter. On one ticket and with that much time to connect, it seems fine.

Not sure the following is applicable, but if you're not a US or Canadian citizen/national/resident and don't have a US visa in your passport, they may make an issue about your onward journey if flying just one-way.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SusanDK
The weight limit of hand luggage is 10 kg on Norwegian for TATL flights. Does anyone know if they weigh your hand luggage in CPH and/or MCO?

We will fly in Premium, but we are paying the discount premium price so hand luggage is 10 kg (whereas if you pay for PremiumFlex you get 15 kg).

Our rollaboards probably weight 6-8 kg empty, so just wondering how stringent they are.

Also, are they as strict as they sound about the personal item, e.g. flat laptop bag, small purse? As long as it can fit under the seat in front of you, will it be acceptable?

Cheers.
When they weigh, they generally weigh it at check-in at point of trip origin. Of course that means there are semi-creative ways to exceed 8-10kgs in cabin baggage as long as the bags that come to the plane gate don't look all that big relative to what others have.

At CPH, they don't seem to ask my travel parties to put a small purse on the scale along with the rollerboard/backpack.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
When they weigh, they generally weigh it at check-in at point of trip origin. Of course that means there are semi-creative ways to exceed 8-10kgs in cabin baggage as long as the bags that come to the plane gate don't look all that big relative to what others have.

At CPH, they don't seem to ask my travel parties to put a small purse on the scale along with the rollerboard/backpack.
Perfect, thanks, that will work.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not sure the following is applicable, but if you're not a US or Canadian citizen/national/resident and don't have a US visa in your passport, they may make an issue about your onward journey if flying just one-way.
Is having a separate one way flight back out of the US sufficient to avoid any problems because of that? Norwegian doesn't offer any multi leg trips, so if I e.g. fly into New Orlando and out of FLL that would work, right?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Arctifox
Is having a separate one way flight back out of the US sufficient to avoid any problems because of that? Norwegian doesn't offer any multi leg trips, so if I e.g. fly into New Orlando and out of FLL that would work, right?
Yeah, I'm using a MileagePlus miles for my flight back out - but it works out cheaper to fly inbound with Norwegian. I assume that as long as I have confirmation of my return journey printed, that I'm all set?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by James91
Yeah, I'm using a MileagePlus miles for my flight back out - but it works out cheaper to fly inbound with Norwegian. I assume that as long as I have confirmation of my return journey printed, that I'm all set?
In practice, that indeed generally does work as being sufficient.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Silver
Quick Trip Take-aways

I know others have been posting trip reports for some time now, but I wanted to add a few of my own two cents for what's it worth. Most have had nothing but negative things to say about Norwegian, but that is completely the opposite of what my wife and I experienced over the past week. We flew JFK-CPH-SXF and then back SXF-LGW-JFK. All-in-all, everything made for a very pleasant experience. Overall, as long as you go in knowing it's an LCC and not expect service like the ME3, then you'll be pleasantly surprised. Yes, they've had their issues in the past, but many (not all), but many of those headaches are behind them as their fleet expands.

Our flight from JFK-CPH was about 15-20 minutes delayed in leaving and yes, there were no announcements or postings, just a late boarding. In the end it wasn't a big deal as we got in to CPH early anyway (and for this I mostly thank the 787). Otherwise, we didn't have any issues. We pre-ordered food (which I strongly recommend as you get a meal and a snack on the long haul legs) and the food was surprisingly decent. Actually, much more edible than the stuff they try serving you on the legacies. We had also pre-paid for a checked bag each and we didn't have any issues there, with weight or restrictions. The only luggage issues we saw were that on the CPH-SXF in which others were trying to bring aboard hand luggage that clearly was too big and they were then forced to check them (at no charge though).

For the most part the crew in the air was very attentive and helpful and their service with the ordering process from your screen seemed to work very well. Yes, you have to pay stupid prices for things that are complimentary elsewhere. But if you go in prepared and expecting that you'll be happier and get away with having spent a lot less money. I wouldn't fly them for business due to many scheduling restrictions, but for vacations when you're a bit more flexible, I'd say it's a go if the price is good.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:17 pm

Norwegian was strict on our flight

Originally Posted by SusanDK

Cheers.
We left from OAK to ARN and their scale was almost 1/2 lb off . They also made us add one of our personal items to scale weigh-in but not the small purse.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:39 pm

Norwegian Air Sucks!

Just a week before my flight date of Las Vegas to Copenhagen, I got a text from Norwegian Air telling me that they are changing the flight carrier to "HiFly Airbus 330-200". I looked up the carrier and learned that this will have limited inflight entertainment and the seats do not seem as roomy as the original carrier that I thought I'd be getting. I called Norwegian and they said they can offer a refund on this flight segment. I said I can't get a refund because I booked other trips within Europe already and I have to go to Europe. So I asked if I can change the flight carrier. The Norwegian rep at this point gave me an attitude of "take it or leave it" with a tone of voice that was very inpatient. She said that they can only give me a refund for that day and if I want to change the flight it can only be changed to a week later.

Frustrated I asked if there is anything she can help me with because this is a more than 10 hour flight and I honestly don't want to be stuck on a smaller aircraft, less roomy seats with limited entertainment. "If you want the refund, we can do that." That was her response. It was apparent that she really didn't want to talk to me anymore at this point. Even though the whole phone conversation lasted less than 10 minutes, the whole time I felt like I was somehow being a huge bother to her because I didn't want a refund and wanted a better alternative. If she talked with me as if I am being valued for a customer and perhaps a bit friendly in her tone regarding this matter, I wouldn't have been upset. Possibly one of the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. Don't ever fly Norwegian.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:02 pm
Suspended

What did you expect them to do exactly? Call up some airline they have no relationship with and put you on it? Roll out the 787 just for you? Aircraft changes are just part of flying life and beyond your control. Per the contract of carriage, their responsibility is to get you to europe on one of their aircraft, and they advise of possible aircraft swaps.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
While I do feel for you a bit the old adage that comes to mind is "You get what you pay for". DY's responsibility is getting you from their ticketed route and not tickets you booked outside of their service.

The fact they're willing to refund you is pretty great overall. Most airline would say change of aircraft isn't a refundable issue outside of Jet vs Prop. The downfall is prices have probably increased for your trip significantly meaning out of pocket costs for you.

When dealing with LLCs the downfall is lack of alliance. If this was BA they have multiple options to get out to your final destination via other access points thanks to a larger network and alliance with other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.