Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
So, the charges against Norwegian long haul in the above thread are that the seats are too close together in their 787, the FAs are grumpy but the plane is new. It sounds exactly like United Airlines, except that their FAs are grumpy and hostile and ancient. So the real difference is no food but, to be fair, Norwegian makes that abundantly clear.
I think the one big caveat is that all the legacies have a huge route network and in the case of Irops you stand a chance of being rerouted. With Norwegian you can expect to be on the ground for several days.

Because of that I don't think it would matter if the FAs showered you in rose petals upon arrival...
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:13 pm

I flew ARN-OAK in premium cabin couple of weeks back

For travel to US no online checkin and no kiosk checkin. There is no sign or separate checkin counter for premium cabin but on asking the agent was allowed to the front of the line.

Premium cabin was spacious except for a serious drawback. When the person in front of me pushed the seat back, I could not get out of my window seat

There were 2 FA's serving the premium cabin, one was professional but seemed serious all the time. The other FA on the other hand was one of the best I have encountered in my 25 years of travel on various airlines. She was very professional, courteous, friendly, smiling, attentive and helpful. I wonder if she got trained by SQ

Overall I liked Norwegian premium cabin but if I use them again, I would fly premium cabin but in Aisle seat only.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Not a bad offer, and a return trip a month would be doable for quite a lot of people. I guess the purpose is to get business travelers to try the long haul option, and need to pick up an extra revenue ticket or two for the family? Not boosting shorthaul traffic...
Are there limits on the number of tickets you can get?
Yes, one. You have to fly at least 24 legs and you should have them all knitted to your CashPoints-account. You won't get 2 tickets for 48 legs, as it specifies 'at least' 24 legs.

I'm not sure if this isn't boosting short haul. If someone has 20 legs booked, he or she may actually book 4 more legs worth about the same as the cheapest return trip on long haul, just to get the freebie. You probably also know how we human beings can be with regards to that.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by UltraRant
Yes, one. You have to fly at least 24 legs and you should have them all knitted to your CashPoints-account. You won't get 2 tickets for 48 legs, as it specifies 'at least' 24 legs.

I'm not sure if this isn't boosting short haul. If someone has 20 legs booked, he or she may actually book 4 more legs worth about the same as the cheapest return trip on long haul, just to get the freebie. You probably also know how we human beings can be with regards to that.
I think my mind played a trick on me when wrote one, but still two return trips a month,6 months to go, is not that unrealistic for a lot of roadrunners. A bit of bummer if you can't grab two though. Four returns a month is reducing the number of candidates though...
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I think my mind played a trick on me when wrote one, but still two return trips a month,6 months to go, is not that unrealistic for a lot of roadrunners. A bit of bummer if you can't grab two though. Four returns a month is reducing the number of candidates though...
Agreed. But then, I think it's partially marketing. 12 round flights doesn't sound too much, 6 months sounds like a lot of time... And yet, 24 one way flights is only really doable by people who commute. 48 flights with Norwegian within 6 months should be awarded anyway, I'd say.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by UltraRant
Agreed. But then, I think it's partially marketing. 12 round flights doesn't sound too much, 6 months sounds like a lot of time... And yet, 24 one way flights is only really doable by people who commute. 48 flights with Norwegian within 6 months should be awarded anyway, I'd say.
Agree!! 48 DY flights in 6 months does deserve an award, and a big one. :-)
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was in TBIT in LAX Thursday, I noticed on the monitors that DY's departures to ARN and CPH were delayed 12 and 19 hours respectively. It seems DY's struggles keeps on...
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
The July 24th OSL-JFK flight was delayed about 24 hours.
In June, some OAK-OSL travelers were delayed 3 days.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/senastenyt...cle21169130.ab
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
The sentence that "konsumentombudsmannen" is opening proceedings against Norwegian in Norway can't really be good news for them. But they do need to get their act together...
For those unfamiliar with the term, it is a consumer protection agency.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:16 pm

Hello everyone. I'm a brand new ' Newbie' to flyer-talk and I'm privileged to be among you !
Norwegian Air is my favorite subject, and all are correct, they certainly have (and continue to have) thier problems. I notice here in north america, that new routes are in the near future. Specifically, I'd like to respectfully ask two questions.
First, I'm reading that DY will soon, this year start service from BOSTON.
Second, might anyone have Any news about DY starting service to Minneapolis, Mn
Since MSP is by far the Norwegian capital of the USA, I thought/hoped that MSP would be 'on the drawing board'.
All comments/news will be greatly appreciated !
Thank You (in advance)
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
How often is JFK - OSL/ARN/CPH delayed by more than 24 hours? I always thought 24 hours is safe to connect with 2 separate tickets but it doesn't seem so with DY.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The sentence that "konsumentombudsmannen" is opening proceedings against Norwegian in Norway can't really be good news for them. But they do need to get their act together...
For those unfamiliar with the term, it is a consumer protection agency.
My Norwegian is not very good but I think we can all guess that one
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
My Norwegian is not very good but I think we can all guess that one
Ombudsman is one of the few Scandinavian words that has gone around the globe. Though many of we Danes like to believe it is a Danish concept, the honour goes to Sweden.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:40 am

I was on this flight. Sent my claim for reimbursement for hotels and EU271 compensation etc back on June 10. Not heard a thing from Norwegian since. Is this usual for them?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrapynot
I was on this flight. Sent my claim for reimbursement for hotels and EU271 compensation etc back on June 10. Not heard a thing from Norwegian since. Is this usual for them?
Not having been in the situation, but only based on experiences mentioned in the media and here: Yes that is usual. They for a while even claimed that the delayes did not require further compensation as the technical issues were not within their control. Boeing did the maintenance....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.