Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Old Apr 15, 2013, 4:44 am

OSL added to the FLL run now.

Great to see direct routes to Florida from Scandinavia. Nice

I am less than excited by DY's IC pricing - which seems to be on par with legacy carriers (given that you want to check bagage and get a bit to eat on a 10 hour flight). On top, given the rather inflexible schedules (2-3 weekly flights) and the low cost service concept that goes with DY - I am not likely to be on a DY 787 (or 340) anytime soon.

Why would I then choose DY?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Why would I then choose DY?
To avoid transfers and minimize the time trapped in a flying metal tube by taking a direct flight?

Not important to many of us, but a more relaxed way of getting from ARN/CPH/OSL to Florida for an infrequent flyer travelling with a his/her family of even more infrequent flyers. And they are many more than we are...
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by tourist
To avoid transfers and minimize the time trapped in a flying metal tube by taking a direct flight?
This pretty much, I head out to Miami for business travel 4-5 a year. I spend more time in immigration at EWR or ORD then it takes to drive to MIA from FLL.

On plenty of occasions I've transferred with a significant portion of the SK TA flight to the next available UA/AA flight towards MIA at EWR or ORD. Hence my remark as to why I do not understand why SK doesn't service Florida or MIA from anywhere. If LH can warrant flying an A380 there, then SK should at least be able to have a profitable A330 service.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by tourist
To avoid transfers and minimize the time trapped in a flying metal tube by taking a direct flight?.
That was what I was trying to say. The direct flight is great, but that is pretty much it.

Price is pretty much the same - which disappoints me greatly.

DY+
-Direct flight

SK and the rest of the gang +
- Many more flight options
- Serivce - expecially in case of iregularities (I fly DY every week - and when it goes south it goes south very fast indeed.
- Pitch ?? If DY 787 has the same as their 737 it is going to be some very long flights
- And for all the FF'ers: Miles/points, FF benefits, etc
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by OFFlyer

The direct flight is great, but that is pretty much it.

Price is pretty much the same - which disappoints me greatly.
+1 It was the direct flight that appealed to my husband, even with a 3 1/2 hour drive to our vacation home in Orlando.

But price surprised me. I'm looking for at least premium economy, if I can't find a creative way to get business class for a reasonable price.

DY is quoting about the same price (ca. DK 11,500) for a non-flexible, non-refundable premium economy return from CPH-FLL as Icelandair is quoting for their fully refundable business class via KEF to SFB.

Granted, Icelandair business class is more like premium economy, but with decent meals and wine, easy transfer in KEF with a great lounge. Also, two pieces of checked-in baggage free vs. one for DY (if that's important to anyone), 2 carry on items (not sure about DY).

The DY fare for a flexible, refundable premium economy is ca. DK 16,000. I'm sure the cabin experience in the 787 is preferable in terms of quietness, air quality, etc., and I'd like to try it someday. The pitch in the DY prem econ seats is 46" vs. only 40" for FI's business class, which is a drawback. But I'm tempted to choose FI over DY for our next trip if I don't find a better deal on SK or another mainliner.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by N830MH
Didn't Britannia Airways has flew to FLL back in late-90s? So what happened to them?
I don't know if they flew that route, but Britannia was rebranded as Thomson Airways a few years back. Lots of charters out of the UK.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I don't know if they flew that route, but Britannia was rebranded as Thomson Airways a few years back. Lots of charters out of the UK.
I think you mentioned Britannaia has flew OSL-FLL back in late-90. I remember that we saw Britannia 767-300ER is in FLL at entire terminal 4. I have a very good memory.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:19 am

Any Experience on JFK-Oslo on Norwegian in Business Class

Was hoping it would be on a 787, but a Late June ticket is not likely.

What airplane are they flying now and how would compare the service to other airlines.

thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: eurobonus, flying blue, a club, hilton hhonors
supposively the first 787 will be delivered in June, so there is always hope...

most likely, however, you will be flying on one of HiFly's A340-300s... They were both delivered in 1997 to Singapore Airlines where they served for 6 years before being handed over to Emirates.

see more details on http://www.hifly.aero/en/a340/cs-tqy and http://www.hifly.aero/en/a340/cs-tqz
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Looks quite nice, guess better than Norvegian B787 seats will be
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
What airplane are they flying now and how would compare the service to other airlines.

They are not now flying this route - service commences on 30 May next.

Norwegian signed a lease for 2 A340-300s to cover their long haul routes (New York and Bangkok) until the 787s are ready. They will be operated as a wet-lease from Portuguese airline Hi-Fly. (The two craft in question apparently originally were owned by Singapore Airlines and Emirates).

The good news is that, if you booked a premium economy seat for the Dreamliner, you will be seated in business class on the A340.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...eamliner-delay
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Hi All,

DJ will adds third frequency CPH-FLL sometime in 2014. I think it's great news to hear.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:10 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Norwegian airline NAS targets budget long-haul market

Personally, I think that this is where all other LCC with LH ambitions have either died or gotten seriously wounded and retreated. As the article states, I see no reason why NAS think they'll succeed, esp. if they're pinning their entire model on Dreamliners, which their competitors have also been buying. A quick check for late October OSL-JFK r/t flights reveals tickets costing ~700, which isn't so much less than the offers from legacies (and you have to get to OSL first). And we're not even talking about loyalty programs, credit card affiliations, etc.

Full Article Here

It's possibly the biggest airline you've never heard of. Norwegian Air Shuttle (NAS) may have a low profile, but its ambition is huge.

The airline's name belies its direction of travel. The carrier is becoming less Norwegian by the month, as it sets up bases at airports across Europe and Asia.

And NAS is certainly no mere shuttle service, having placed one of the biggest aircraft orders in history, including for eight of Boeing's new 787 Dreamliners.

NAS wants to shake up the European low-cost, no-frills market, becoming a rival to Easyjet and Ryanair. But it is the airline's long-haul intentions that are attracting significant interest.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:49 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...elsewhere.html I will move this to the appropriate airline forum while leaving a 30-day re-direct in Travel News for those who wish to come to the story from there.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:57 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
They are having some initial problems...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...l-service.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.