Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP long haul: which business class seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze

I'm looking to fly TAP business from LIS to EWR in May next year and I wonder which seats I will get. There seem to be two different versions of the sloped-flat kind and then there's supposed to be a new seat in 2013, presumably fully flat? Any ideas? Thanks, ps
Old Dec 16, 2012, 7:47 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by planestupid
I'm looking to fly TAP business from LIS to EWR in May next year and I wonder which seats I will get. There seem to be two different versions of the sloped-flat kind and then there's supposed to be a new seat in 2013, presumably fully flat? Any ideas? Thanks, ps
No new seat planned. Seats are more or less the same. It only depends on which aircraft type you're flying: A343 or A332. For the A343, check here and here. For the A332, check here.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by tff
For the A343, check here and here.
Aren't those seats on the A343 getting a bit old? I used to fly them regularly 4-5 years ago and back then they were already showing signs of aging.
(If I remember well, the seats on the A332s were newer...)
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:46 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Any update on TAP biz seats? Are they flat or angled or what? Looking to fly MIA to LIS in Sept connecting to AMS. Better with Swiss or Lufthansa for such a route?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:15 am

MIA-LIS has always been angled when I've taken it, so should still be the same unless something has changed in the last couple months.

Seat itself is similar to LH C so not a real lie flat.

Swiss from MIA-ZRH will offer the best seat. In addition the east bound TAP flight can be very short so you will not have as much chance to sleep on the flight vs flights to ZRH or FRA.

Immigration/transit at LIS in the early AM is no picnic either if you have a tight connection.

I would go with LX if possible, unfortunately TAP usually offers much better business class fares ex-MIA...
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:36 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Any update on TAP biz seats? Are they flat or angled or what? Looking to fly MIA to LIS in Sept connecting to AMS. Better with Swiss or Lufthansa for such a route?
Still angled, as in the pics posted above.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:53 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will be going with points so fares don't really come in to it. I will try to wangle Swiss on that basis

Cheers
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:14 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by FLLDL
I would go with LX if possible, unfortunately TAP usually offers much better business class fares ex-MIA...
As much as I like TP (for the food, wine and LIS lounge, and probably shorter travel time) I would also take the safe route if you can and fly Swiss. It's a guaranteed flat bed on a night flight.

GBM
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

......unfortunately TAP usually offers much better business class fares ex-MIA...
The yield on this route must be grim.

I'm surprised the airline can't find another route to employ their equipment more profitably. I bet FT members could help them

You've got to admire TAP's tenacity in sticking to bad decisions. Or despair ...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The yield on this route must be grim.

I'm surprised the airline can't find another route to employ their equipment more profitably. I bet FT members could help them

You've got to admire TAP's tenacity in sticking to bad decisions. Or despair ...
It is a strange route as I cant imagine there is much MIA-LIS biz class traffic so they must be reliant on connecting traffic from 2nd tier cities in Europe which have no nonstop service to Miami.

A agree with others above about the food and wine which is usually excellent. I prefer to take TAP when returning from Europe (day flight) as a flat bed seat is not so important on this flight as on the east bound.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
It is a strange route as I cant imagine there is much MIA-LIS biz class traffic so they must be reliant on connecting traffic from 2nd tier cities in Europe which have no nonstop service to Miami.
Plus Miami is not much of a STAR hub - so limited connectivity there.

The story was that TP was to serve Portuguese business interests in Florida - mainly the Espirito Santo group in Miami. Which is very nice for a handful of bankers, who would otherwise of flown home through the EWR connection.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:43 pm

Interestingly the largest group in the biz cabin on that route in my experience has always been wealthy Africans heading back to Angola!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Espirito Santo, Portugal's largest financial institution, has it's hemispheric headquarters in Miami.

Miami, naturally, has strong business ties to the Iberian peninsula, both Spain and Portugal. And the local market is well-sized, too.

And one can't ignore the fact that wealthy Africans love vacationing in Miami, especially those in Portuguese/Spanish-speaking Africa. That's a very small niche, but the fares they pay are extraordinary. I'm sure TAP is doing a decent job grabbing this market.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:27 am

Anyone fly the GRU-Lis route on J? are the seats crappy?looks it is the Airbus A330-200
Old Jul 28, 2013, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by leftpinky
Anyone fly the GRU-Lis route on J? are the seats crappy?looks it is the Airbus A330-200
Is the entire a332 fleet refurbished? it seems some have new aVOD/J seats etc and some do not? I know the 343's were retrofitted, any news on the older a332s?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.