Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair Schedule - BUD to KRK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:15 am
Original Poster

I've been trying to book a Ryanair flight from Budapest to Krakow for April
2nd but when I check Ryanair's website there are no flights listed for this route after the 2nd week of January. I've called and the agent told me flights would be up by the end of November but I'm getting concerned because this is the only direct service and it's cumbersome to get from one city to the other, even by train.

I've searched the net but haven't seen anything regarding a route cancellation. Is this close to last minute posting of flights normal for Ryanair? Has anyone heard anything re a possible route cancellation?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:17 am

I believe BUD-KRK has been cancelled:

http://airlineroute.net/2012/11/23/fr-bud-jan13/

Ryanair is downsizing their BUD base
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response. Our other option is to fly to Warsaw (WAW) but the Ryanair schedule isn't up yet for April. Should I be concerned about that being cancelled as well?

Does anyone else have a decent option for me to get either from Budapest (April 2nd) or from northeastern Hungary (April 1st) to Krakow? We are very time limited. The only thing I've found so far at a decent price is an Air Berlin flight from Bud to KRK (connnecting thru Berlin) but this is a 6 am flight which we'd rather not do. I've checked out all the other regular airlines and all are far more expensive and/or have looooooooong layovers.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:23 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Ryan Air discussions are for the FT Budget Travel Forum. Please continue to follow this thread in Budget Travel.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Would you be willing to fly from BUD on April 1 or 3 instead of April 2? Air Berlin has a 2:50 pm flight via Berlin on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Would you be willing to fly from BUD on April 1 or 3 instead of April 2? Air Berlin has a 2:50 pm flight via Berlin on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Thanks but unfortunately we're tied to either April 2 (anytime) or very early am on April 3rd. We're touring northeastern Hungary on the 1st and need to be in central Poland by midmorning on the 3rd.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: HH Gold & bunch of mainly useless other bits of plastic
Check the overnight sleeper, it is cumbersome, but gets into KRK roughly 0700 IIRC from our trip on it in April.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by tlott
I believe BUD-KRK has been cancelled:

http://airlineroute.net/2012/11/23/fr-bud-jan13/

Ryanair is downsizing their BUD base
......... Ryanair is stopping its seasonal flights as normal and dresses that as a 'downsize' trying to extort a discount from Hochtief. They do this blackmail-via-crafty-PR all the time.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:30 am

The sleeper train may be your only realistic option, but it does take 10 hours from Budapest, and arrives in Krakow at the crack of dawn (06:35).

It is, however, quite cheap - from €49 each for two people sharing a two-berth sleeping compartment.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chx1975
......... Ryanair is stopping its seasonal flights as normal and dresses that as a 'downsize' trying to extort a discount from Hochtief. They do this blackmail-via-crafty-PR all the time.
Originally Posted by railways
The sleeper train may be your only realistic option, but it does take 10 hours from Budapest, and arrives in Krakow at the crack of dawn (06:35).

It is, however, quite cheap - from €49 each for two people sharing a two-berth sleeping compartment.
Thanks to both of you. We are now considering the train but have a few questions and I'm hoping you can shed some light as we've never done this before.

1. On April 1st well be visiting northeastern Hungary. If I could get my tour guide to drop us off in Kosice would it be any easier to get to Krakow from there?

2. If we do take the sleeper from Budapest how do washroom/shower facilities work? We'd end up in Krakow at 6:35 am and then hit the road with another tour guide to central Poland an hour later so I'd like to be able to freshen up before we leave the train.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: HH Gold & bunch of mainly useless other bits of plastic
Originally Posted by nutttbar
Thanks to both of you. We are now considering the train but have a few questions and I'm hoping you can shed some light as we've never done this before.

1. On April 1st well be visiting northeastern Hungary. If I could get my tour guide to drop us off in Kosice would it be any easier to get to Krakow from there?

2. If we do take the sleeper from Budapest how do washroom/shower facilities work? We'd end up in Krakow at 6:35 am and then hit the road with another tour guide to central Poland an hour later so I'd like to be able to freshen up before we leave the train.
We had a "1st" class sleeper cabin from Budapest Keleti (sp ?) to Krakow in April 12. As I remember it had a small washbasin, no lav & definitely no shower facilities. They may have been available on the train, but I speak no Hungarian, Czech, Slovak (if thats a separate language) or Polish - some of the countries the train goes thru, as my iPhone kept reminding me during the night as we crossed from one mobile provider to another. And the guard didn't admit to any English, French or Italian.

TBH, it's something to be endured rather than enjoyed, but it will get you to KRK on the day you want. See it as a challenge.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by nutttbar

No benefit from starting in Kosice, unfortunately. You are better off going through Budapest. And I believe there are no showers on the train - these sleeping cars are quite old.

Originally Posted by Cavman
We had a "1st" class sleeper cabin from Budapest Keleti (sp ?) to Krakow in April 12. As I remember it had a small washbasin, no lav & definitely no shower facilities....
There is only one type of sleeping compartment on this train, and they have one, two or three available berths. The ones not used are folded up. You need a second class ticket (plus sleeper supplement, if not a global ticket) to travel in a compartment configured for two or three people, and a first class ticket if you are travelling in a compartment for single use.

Originally Posted by Cavman
TBH, it's something to be endured rather than enjoyed, but it will get you to KRK on the day you want. See it as a challenge.
Dead right - I agree entirely.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Blech. This trip is going to be cumbersome enough without adding the endurance factor. Guess I'll have to keep rummaging for some other possibilities. Thanks to all for the input.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:27 am

Orangeways operates a cheap bus service between Budapest and Krakow which takes (apparently) 6h30.

However, the schedule currently shows departures on Monday and Wednesday mornings, but not Tuesday (April 2nd). Also, booking is not open for April yet.

The departure is at 7am, but on the Hungarian version of the website, it says from December 1st, departure is at 6am.

Eurolines also operates a bus service with a similar schedule, but April departure dates have not yet been published.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks railways but bus won't be an option due to car sickness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.