Flybe Shocker

Old May 30, 2008, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Finnair Platinum; Intercontinental Ambassador
Flybe Shocker

Right due to the fact that Flybe has monopolized IOM, yesterday was a perfect example of what might happen.

LGW-IOM 12.00 cancelled. (notification given around 2pm)
Flybe took me and my 3 colleagues to Birmingham, to cats 16.50 flight, which was indefinitely delayed. Finally they did put us on a delayed Belfast flight which made a stop on isle of man to let us off.

12 hours for a 2hour trip. And all i got was a 6 meal voucher.
Old May 30, 2008, 6:04 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Ive heard quite a few horror stories like this from people using flybe out of BHD.

Would EU compensation be due? Seeing asyour original flight was cancelled and you were eventually delayed 12 hours?

Might be worth looking in to...
Old May 30, 2008, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
The whole airline is a shocker..
Old May 30, 2008, 7:16 am
Original Poster

I have to say - I hate Flybe to guts. I'm trying to avoid them at any cost (even swimming if it's an option). However with Isle of Man base - and the local airline going bust I'm running out of options.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 7:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by modularmayhem
Would EU compensation be due? Seeing asyour original flight was cancelled and you were eventually delayed 12 hours?

Might be worth looking in to...
Flybe takes no notice of EU rules or indeed any other form of customer complaint. Does it even have a CR department?

You stick with them until they get you there eventually (could be days) or you can ask for a refund of the taxes and charges minus a per person admin fee (ie almost nothing). There are no other options.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 8:12 am

What you describe is just typical FlyMaybe behaviour.

They muscle in on routes - usually routes on which someone else is already established.

For a few months they offer low fares and a reliable service (the latter often being done at the expense of other routes from which they pull aircraft to service the new route).

Once the new route is firmly established, and the competition has been killed off, they raise their prices and stop providing a reliable service.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Any chance of FlyMaybe going bust anytime soon. I would rather get stuck on the isle of man forever than face the despair of flying them day in day out.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Unfortunately, their clever tactics of marketing themselves as low cost despite having monopoly-level fares on most routes, flying less fuel-hungry aircraft than most other carriers and imposing rapacious charges for every conceivable activity puts them in a quite robust position.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 11:03 am

Flybe ignore EU rules

Surely it is not for the airline to chose to ignore EU laws you have an entitlement under EU Regulation 261/2004. If they chose to ignore this then pursue your claim through the Air Transport Users Council or ultimately the small claims court.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 4:05 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
What you describe is just typical FlyMaybe behaviour.
In fact it sounds like most airlines.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 6:53 am

Programs: UA
I gave up on them quite a while ago. My company use them as the 'prefared' carrier but I just book Easyjey, Jet2 and BMI Baby. Never had a problem with any of them.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:18 am

Baggage fee ripoff

I will never fly with Flybe again and wish there was a way I could get others to follow suit. While checking baggage for a 1-hr 1-way flight, Flybe wanted to charge me $440 because my carry-on bag was a bit too large and put me 12 kilo over the 20 kilos limit. I have carried that same bag onto my last 20+ flights for free. In the end I had to pay $250 to upgrade my ticket to free excess baggage allowance. To add insult to injury they charged me an additional $10 because I used a credit card to pay their fee. I had no choice to pay it or leave my luggage behind. I hate them with a passion and it has spoiled my Scotland holiday.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 2:40 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by daddymacx3
I will never fly with Flybe again and wish there was a way I could get others to follow suit. While checking baggage for a 1-hr 1-way flight, Flybe wanted to charge me $440 because my carry-on bag was a bit too large and put me 12 kilo over the 20 kilos limit. I have carried that same bag onto my last 20+ flights for free. In the end I had to pay $250 to upgrade my ticket to free excess baggage allowance. To add insult to injury they charged me an additional $10 because I used a credit card to pay their fee. I had no choice to pay it or leave my luggage behind. I hate them with a passion and it has spoiled my Scotland holiday.
So them enforcing their own rules which are clearly visible on their website at the time of booking spoiled your holiday?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by daddymacx3
I will never fly with Flybe again and wish there was a way I could get others to follow suit. While checking baggage for a 1-hr 1-way flight, Flybe wanted to charge me $440 because my carry-on bag was a bit too large and put me 12 kilo over the 20 kilos limit.
If I read this correctly this would mean that you tried to carry on a bag weighing 22 kg. You are allowed 10.

I'm no fan of FlyMaybe, but I'm even less of a fan of passengers who try to carry on the kitchen sink (and monopolise overhead space that is meant to be shared equally)
Old Sep 23, 2011, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
If I read this correctly this would mean that you tried to carry on a bag weighing 22 kg. You are allowed 10.

I'm no fan of FlyMaybe, but I'm even less of a fan of passengers who try to carry on the kitchen sink (and monopolise overhead space that is meant to be shared equally)
From my understanding of physics, a baggage which weighs more but has the same size does not occupy any more space and therefore does not take away space for others .

That said, and while I am not a fan of FlyBE either, daddymacx3 only has himself to blame for not bothering to inform himself of the baggage policies of the airline he flew with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.