Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

I thought flying to iceland was supposed to be cheap ... How without WOW Air!

Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I just go the opportunity to go to iceland in late february and I had thought flights were pretty cheap but it seems like if you don't want to fly Wow air your options are limited. We're based in BTV but frequently fly out of YQL. I have a ton of chase and united points (200k total) at my disposal but can't seem to find a way to use them for this venture.

Any ideas that aren't a minimum of $800 each way for economy (or Wow air?)

Thanks!

-Bob
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by vtbobf
I have a ton of chase and united points (200k total) at my disposal
but can't seem to find a way to use them for this venture.

You could fly out of Newark roundtrip Feb 20-28 for $440 on Wow.
I would do that, and save the miles and points you have for other itineraries.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:30 pm

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I just go the opportunity to go to iceland in late february and I had thought flights were pretty cheap but it seems like if you don't want to fly Wow air your options are limited. We're based in BTV but frequently fly out of YQL. I have a ton of chase and united points (200k total) at my disposal but can't seem to find a way to use them for this venture.

Thanks!

-Bob
Not all airlines serve Iceland year round. You're considering February when in fact some airlines offer limited/no service. Therefore you could consider using miles to one of the gateway cities into KEF then take (purchase) Iceland Air for the shot hot up to Iceland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keflav...tional_Airport
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Used to live in the BTV area - great place!

How about Boston - late February on WOW is $300 or $600 on Icelandair.

That time of year is tough since no one else flies there.

AS is an Icelandair partner but only SPG transfers there.

There are awards with UA which cost 60k RT in Y but they require a 34 hour routing like:

BTV - IAD - FRA - CPH - KEG

Which IMO is not worth it.

If you go with WOW just make sure to read up on them and be careful to adhere by their rules so you don't get hit with a bunch of fees the nullify the cost benefit.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Yea I guess I should have wrote my post a little differently to say that is there any way to get there for a reasonable amount that is not wow air. There are base price flights out of Montreal for around 310 RT. Add on bag fees and it'll be around $500 which is fine but man I'd prefer something a bit nicer
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:04 am

Drive to Montreal and take Icelandair. It is a short drive from BTV. Lots of Vermonters do it.

Icelandair is great, we just flew to Iceland with them. But Iceland itself is crazy expensive.

Not sure there are any cheaper options. But Icelandair has no bag fees at all, in fact you can take two full sized suitcases each.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:39 am

I'd prefer something a bit nicer
just an addition to Bogwoppit's comments for Icelandair

2 free checked bags (decent weight allowance too) and free seat selection

but you dont get food onboard. free drinks(water/juice/nonalcoholic beverages...)

(wow doesn't even provide free water)
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Drive to Montreal and take Icelandair. It is a short drive from BTV. Lots of Vermonters do it.

Icelandair is great, we just flew to Iceland with them. But Iceland itself is crazy expensive.

Not sure there are any cheaper options. But Icelandair has no bag fees at all, in fact you can take two full sized suitcases each.
Yea I thought Iceland was supposed to be cheap, but does seem to be a bit pricey. I'm definitely planning on driving up to montreal to fly out, we're nexus members and have done it before. I guess I just have to decide if the extra $300-500 per person for icelandair is worth it over wow air.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:05 am

Calculate the cost of the whole trip before committing. Car rental was astronomical, hotels the same, eating out was bonkers. We ended up with an AirBnB in Reykjavik and shopped for food. Elsewhere we booked hotels with kitchens and cooked and shopped for meals.

Most things you will want to see are free, thank goodness.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:21 am

Yea I thought Iceland was supposed to be cheap, but does seem to be a bit pricey.
it's not cheap.... as Bogwoppit says

I'm actually going there tomorrow for 5 days. clothes (and everything, since it's imported) is very expensive, so make sure you dress properly for winter (layers/waterproof/...), proper hiking boots for outdoors etc

driving around is complicated too (winter = icy/some road closures, technically you could drive around ring road in <5 days but you shouldn't. it's 830 miles)
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:41 am

Wow is starting service with new XL and XXL seats. Spring for the XXL and it will be the nicest way to get there - other then Premium Economy or Business on Iceland Air. February will be the cheapest time to go - other than that prices spike in the weekend (mostly in Reykjavik).

Well worth the trip and expense though.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Calculate the cost of the whole trip before committing. Car rental was astronomical, hotels the same, eating out was bonkers. We ended up with an AirBnB in Reykjavik and shopped for food. Elsewhere we booked hotels with kitchens and cooked and shopped for meals.

Most things you will want to see are free, thank goodness.
Interesting and good info, I guess I don't know why I had the idea iceland was cheap.

We're looking at doing Air b&b and our friends want to do a few tours since we won't have easy transportation. May have to run the $$ option by the gf.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting and good info, I guess I don't know why I had the idea iceland was cheap.

We're looking at doing Air b&b and our friends want to do a few tours since we won't have easy transportation. May have to run the $$ option by the gf.
In terms on-the-ground costs: Apparently there was a huge spike a while back in travel to Iceland because of its connection to the hit TV show Game of Thrones. Due to both that reason for going there eventually waning and simultaneously more hotels being built (perhaps too many for the long run?), some people are anticipating that prices on the ground could plummet in a few years.

And apparently tours are really full (though I don't know if in Feb), so for a peaceful experience in the environment people suggest going earlier so as to get to the sites before the tour throngs arrive.

So you may want to re-think whether this is the right time to go to Iceland (if you don't like spending lots of money).

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 15, 2016 at 3:16 pm
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

In 08, Iceland's economy crashed and things were very cheap for Americans. It rebounded and then the ISK to USD took a dive in 2015 but has rebounded. So things now arent as cheap as they were in 08 and 15.
Exchange rate in
2007: 1 USD = 60 ISK
2008 1 USD = 142 ISK
2014: 1 USD = 111 USD
2015: 1 USD = 139 ISK
Now: 1 USD = 110 ISK

It still is relatively cheap to get to compared to other places in Europe, particularly in summer. As others have noted, you're going at a time where there are fewer carriers operating.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:59 pm

In addition to the cost, you may also think a bit about what you want to do there. IMHO Iceland is all about the outdoors and you only have about 8 hours of sunlight to work with in February. Combine that with the likely rain/snow/wind combo and your number of available hours and days shrink further.

I had originally planned to go in May to hike but after reading comments from others that mid-June snowstorms were possible I moved it back to July. Yes, there's more people but if you get off the main tourist track and book WAAAAAY ahead of time you will not feel crowded. And yes, car rentals are ridiculous. A "full size SUV" is the equivalent of a Honda CRV in the states.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.