Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Optiontown experience on Malev

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2011, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Optiontown experience on Malev

Hello! I would like to share my experience with Optiontown. Last June, booking MALEV I was contacted by Optiontown and applied to them for an upgrade to Business. I was finally upgraded from Economy Q to Business class while flying LCA-BRU (they were able to upgrade me only for LCA-BUD and BUD-LCA section) which anyway was a great surprise! I paid just 100 euro more for this. I got a notification for the upgrade 24 hours before the flight.Back then the ticket for Economy Q was almost 400 euro. With the upgrade I got all the benefits a business passenger gets. Lounge, points, even fast line permission while returning back to Larnaca at Brussels airport (even though for BRU-BUD section I was flying economy)!
Now, I'm thinking of applying again to Optiontown for the same flight in November (LCA-BRU) flying again with Malev. I haven't yet applied for it but I have a concern. This time my ticket was quite cheap, Economy T (for 231 euro) and I have my doubts whether with such a low cost ticket they can upgrade me to business and if it even worths to give it a try. For the moment they haven't yet contacted me but I'm thinking of applying myself through their website. Did anybody with such a low price ticket got an upgrade? I would appreciate to have your opinion on that or similar experience. Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:59 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Originally Posted by skybluem
Hello! I would like to share my experience with Optiontown. Last June, booking MALEV I was contacted by Optiontown and applied to them for an upgrade to Business. I was finally upgraded from Economy Q to Business class while flying LCA-BRU (they were able to upgrade me only for LCA-BUD and BUD-LCA section) which anyway was a great surprise! I paid just 100 euro more for this. I got a notification for the upgrade 24 hours before the flight.Back then the ticket for Economy Q was almost 400 euro. With the upgrade I got all the benefits a business passenger gets. Lounge, points, even fast line permission while returning back to Larnaca at Brussels airport (even though for BRU-BUD section I was flying economy)!
Now, I'm thinking of applying again to Optiontown for the same flight in November (LCA-BRU) flying again with Malev. I haven't yet applied for it but I have a concern. This time my ticket was quite cheap, Economy T (for 231 euro) and I have my doubts whether with such a low cost ticket they can upgrade me to business and if it even worths to give it a try. For the moment they haven't yet contacted me but I'm thinking of applying myself through their website. Did anybody with such a low price ticket got an upgrade? I would appreciate to have your opinion on that or similar experience. Thanks!
You'll probably have a better chance of getting a good answer to your questions in the Other European Frequent Flyer Programs forum or the oneworld forum. This thread is for Optiontown on SAS operated flights.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 4:07 am
Original Poster

OOOPS! Yeap, it seems I'm not writing in the right forum! :-) Thanks so much!
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I get consistently upgraded on the lowest campaign fares on MA with optiontown. ^
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I get consistently upgraded on the lowest campaign fares on MA with optiontown. ^
WilcoRoger: so it seems the value of the ticket (and therefore the economy level) doesn't have anything to do with the chances of being upgraded or not.
OptionTown states that the more you make use of their service the more the chances are to get upgrades... this can be true but also it can be a marketing trick.:-)
Thing is that the first time I used OptionTown worked great for me! Reading your reply it seems I will give them a try for my upcoming flight too... Hope I won't be disappointed because psychology is that the more you get used to upgrades if for once they don't manage to upgrade you, you get slightly disappointed.:-)
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:43 am
Original Poster

WilcoRoger: so it seems the value of the ticket (and therefore the economy level) doesn't have anything to do with the chances of being upgraded or not.
OptionTown states that the more you make use of their service the more the chances are to get upgrades... this can be true but also it can be a marketing trick.:-)
Thing is that the first time I used OptionTown worked great for me! Reading your reply it seems I will give them a try for my upcoming flight too... Hope I won't be disappointed because psychology is that the more you get used to upgrades if for once they don't manage to upgrade you, you get slightly disappointed.:-)
I tried to see the upgrade options after signing in the OptionTown website and under SkyClub Business was noted 'UTo Not Available' :-( Is it maybe too early since my flight is mid November? Is there any possibility that after a month there is availability for upgrade or as long as it's shown like this now this is it?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I tried to see the upgrade options after signing in the OptionTown website and under SkyClub Business was noted 'UTo Not Available' :-( Is it maybe too early since my flight is mid November? Is there any possibility that after a month there is availability for upgrade or as long as it's shown like this now this is it?
It's only for MA code on MA metal - if it's codeshare, no go.

Also - in case of SK, it seems that the lowest fares are not qualifying for u/g
Old Oct 13, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: SK*G, Malév Gold, BA Blue, Hertz #1 Gold, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Starwood Preferred Guest, A Club
Same thing for me. Wanted to sign up for two upcoming trips with MA, ARN-BUD and BUD-GOT, but it states "UTo Not Available". The first flight is 23rd October, so that's very soon... The booking was made 1st October in "Smart choice/Economy Restricted".
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: LH SEN , UA 1K, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver, GHA Black
totally useless this service. tried it a couple of times and never worked - actually I do not understand how it works. flying on 25.12 from Fra - Bud and no upgrade available.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: SK*G, Malév Gold, BA Blue, Hertz #1 Gold, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Starwood Preferred Guest, A Club
None of my two flights with MA got available for sign-up. Quite a lot of passengers in Economy and in Business there were just 2 seats occupied to BUD and 0 to GOT. In all there were 8 seats in Business on both flights...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.