Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Payless Car Rental Company

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, ANA Plat, Best Western Diamond, Marriott Gold
Angry Payless Car Rental Company

I had a quoted USA Expedia rate of $38.00 for the week for a PaylessCarRental.com and when I got to the counter on March 3, 2015 to pickup the car in Dubai, the Payless agent refused to rent the car to me saying the price was incorrect and I would now have to pay over $500.00 for the same car. I explained that I also had a printout from the Payless web site showing the same quoted rate of $38.00 for the week and that the reservation was confirmed. Again, she said that rate was an error and was not going to honor that. I explained that there were laws in the USA that prevent false advertising and failure to honor advertised rates, and she explained, the obvious that Dubai was not the USA. I then rented a car from EuropCar for $247.00 for the week.

Now when I get back to the USA, I would like to know what my options are against PaylessCar to recover the loss of having to rent from another company at the higher rate? Any ideas or similar experience?

Thank you.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:12 pm

Let me make sure I understand...

you got quoted a total of Thirty Eight Dollars ($38.00) for a one week rental in Dubai, and you thought that was a "great rate", and don't understand why it wasn't honored? And now you want that rate enforced?

Sigh. Clearly, the end of the world is coming.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:36 pm

The end of the world is here, I would take them to the `supreme court` if you have one.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, ANA Plat, Best Western Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by randix
you got quoted a total of Thirty Eight Dollars ($38.00) for a one week rental in Dubai, and you thought that was a "great rate", and don't understand why it wasn't honored? And now you want that rate enforced?

Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiwitrains
The end of the world is here, I would take them to the `supreme court` if you have one.
I believe you are right. I think small claims court in NYC can handle this issue and filing is all online and can be achieved in less than 10 minutes. Thank you.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something

I've seen low rates before in this price range. Seems if it was an error, it should have been rectified before the customer got there.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Obviously, you don't rent cars that often. In Florida and other popular locations I've rented cars for less. A low rate like this is not unusual if you book in advance and check back often. Thank God your not in charge of my check book! For me, I will protect my rights which in turn protects yours.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I've seen low rates before in this price range. Seems if it was an error, it should have been rectified before the customer got there.
I agree. Will be taking both Expedia and Payless to NYC Smalls Claims court for $20.00 filing fee. Will keep everyone posted.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Having been to the Payless counter in DXBT1 recently in the hot back corner of the terminal - I feel the OPs pain.

We rented an SUV - and they just shrugged their shoulders and gave us an Altima, saying the price quoted online was for that group. We negotiated a hefty discount, but had to squeeze 5 people into the car.

Avoid these crooks in DXB.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:05 pm

Wait a second...

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
You've seen a car rental rate ANYWHERE, where you can rent a car for THIRTY EIGHT DOLLARS ($38.00) for a single WEEK (not a day)??????

Apparently I'm using the wrong internet...

The original poster said:

"I had a quoted USA Expedia rate of $38.00 for the week for a PaylessCarRental.com"

Last edited by randix; Mar 7, 2015 at 3:14 pm
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Doubting Thomas

You've seen a car rental rate ANYWHERE, where you can rent a car for THIRTY EIGHT DOLLARS ($38.00) for a single WEEK (not a day)??????

Apparently I'm using the wrong internet...

The original poster said:

"I had a quoted USA Expedia rate of $38.00 for the week for a PaylessCarRental.com"
This is getting boring! Obviously, you don't surf the same Internet. As a systems analyst this is kids stuff. Sorry you having so much difficulty.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Good luck suing a company in Dubai in NY Small Claims court.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Good Luck to you too...

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Good luck suing a company in Dubai in NY Small Claims court.
Obviously, you don't read the what has been already written and explained herein. I will protect my rights when back in the USA. The filing can be processed anywhere in the world by filing over/on the Internet. In fact, it has already been done.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by joenyc
Obviously, you don't read the what has been already written and explained herein. I will protect my rights when back in the USA. The filing can be processed anywhere in the world by filing over/on the Internet. In fact, it has already been done.
Well, if cockiness counts for everything you might have a chance. Or not. I think not.

No one from Dubai would show up. Jurisdiction is an issue. And how would you ever collect anything from a foreign business with no assets in the US?

Some things are worth fighting over, some aren't. A pretty obviously erroneous rate in a far corner of the world isn't.

The one good thing is that you've highlighted the fact that particular Payless location is to be avoided.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:46 am
Original Poster

"There are none so blind as those who will not see"

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Well, if cockiness counts for everything you might have a chance. Or not. I think not.

No one from Dubai would show up. Jurisdiction is an issue. And how would you ever collect anything from a foreign business with no assets in the US?

Some things are worth fighting over, some aren't. A pretty obviously erroneous rate in a far corner of the world isn't.

The one good thing is that you've highlighted the fact that particular Payless location is to be avoided.
As I said before to you, you have NOT read the original posting. Where does it say I live in Dubai? I booked this in USA and these are USA companies and I live in USA. Dah... What were you saying about jurisdiction?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.