Payless is SHADY

Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Angry Payless is SHADY

Warning to car renters..I rented a car from Payless at Atlanta Airport and the car was Filthy..Seats were stained..I reported the damage to the garage attendant and he made note of the damage on my contract before I rented the car..Payless then charged me for the stained seats..Dishonest and Fraudulent..I am disputing the charge now..The Payless manager at the Atlanta Airport doesnt take or return calls..This is like dealing with the Beverly Hillbilly`s..STAY AWAY FROM PAYLESS!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
This can be said with any rental car agency. Do you have a copy of the contract where the damage/stains were documented? If so, provide that to the manager of the branch.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You get what you pay for. Best of luck with the CC dispute.
Time is money. Why waste it on phone calls?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:51 pm

fwiw...

If you're looking for a cheap rental rate, Payless is one of the vendors that you'd be foolish not to consider...

I've rented from Payless frequently around San Francisco, and have had no problems, although I've been very careful to checkoff the i's and t's on my beware list. There's always a bad apple, doesn't mean we're not grateful for the heads up, just be careful to generalize the behavior across the franchise...

When it comes to rental cars, you know in advance the tension points. Be prepared in advance, document, document, document, insist any unusual condition is clearly noted by the attendant whether they think it's necessary or not (if you hear "the quarter rule" or something similar, ignore it; insist all damage is documented; look at that windshield very carefully for the small cracks...amazing how they grow up so fast over your rental). Take advantage of that cell phone you carry around with you, and take 3 minutes out of your life to over photo document the condition of the vehicle. You can always delete the photo's later.

Sounds like the characters at this particular location are off the reservation, hope it resolves quickly. In the future, know well in advance the tension points, and be proactive with your advance documentation. Cheap insurance.

My experience tells me that generalizing the behavior of a car franchise across all locations probably doesn't make sense (except Enterprise, don't get me started); for those locations that are abusive, great to publicize their behavior here and on similar venue's to give a "special" heads up and perhaps total avoidance.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
I have the contract documented by the Payless employee before the rental..This has gone all the way to Payless home office so it is systematic ..They refuse to help and want to charge me..I have contacted the Better Business Bureau as well..If they dont refund my money I will request they appear in court to answer the complaint.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
Warning to car renters..I rented a car from Payless at Atlanta Airport and the car was Filthy..Seats were stained..I reported the damage to the garage attendant and he made note of the damage on my contract before I rented the car..Payless then charged me for the stained seats..Dishonest and Fraudulent..I am disputing the charge now..The Payless manager at the Atlanta Airport doesnt take or return calls..This is like dealing with the Beverly Hillbilly`s..STAY AWAY FROM PAYLESS!
Thank you for publicizing your difficulties here. As randix says, even the best companies have rogue locations. I will keep your post in mind the next time I have a choice of rental car agencies in ATL.

I do not get your Beverly Hillbillies allusion. What's that all about?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

I am waiting on the results of dispute with American Express..Payless FAILED to answer my complaint to The Better Business Bureau..If unsucessfull with Amex dispute I will file a complaint in small claims court in Atlanta..and it wont be for $137..The Beverly Hillbillies reference is because thats how Payless handles business..When you call the Atlanta Airport location..you either get a recording to leave a message and nobody bothers to call you back or you get a message that their mailbox is full..Honestly Payless could Careless..But I wont allow them to Steal my money..I will post updates..I think it will be a good idea to post my experience with Payless to Community at American Express and a few other groups to help people realize Payless Deceptive practices..Just read their Facebook page and you will get an idea of how they abuse their customers..and if you post anything negative about your experience..they just delete and ban you from posting..Avoid Payless at All Cost!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Update 8/16/14..American Express found Payless at fault and charged back Payless..I got money back thanks to American Express..Friends Dont let friends rent from Payless..Over & Out.@:-)
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:20 pm

Although I'm totally sympathetic...

Update 8/16/14..American Express found Payless at fault and charged back Payless..I got money back thanks to American Express..Friends Dont let friends rent from Payless..Over & Out.@:-)
with your complaint and pleased that you had a good outcome, I have to say, unless you're inferring that the horrible treatment you received was a company wide mandated/suggested policy, in this day and age, you generally can NOT extrapolate your treatment experience at one location to all of the company's other locations. I get that it is the knee jerk reaction, but unless you have some indication (note, I didn't even say evidence) that Payless as a company subscribes to that kind of behavior, it's really not fair to extrapolate your experience to all of the company's other locations, company owned or franchised.

I've also rented from Payless, a zillion times just as I have all of the other rental agencies, and in the San Francisco San Jose area, I honestly can't say I've ever experienced that type of behavior or anything close to what you complained of.

So, don't get me wrong, this location bears 10 red stars on my car rental map and I'll certainly AVOID them, but I'm not about to throw all of the other Payless locations under the bus.

As many here, I know the locations that either have burned me or have treated me poorly, and I avoid them. But that doesn't mean I throw every location of that particular company under the proverbial bus, whether it's Payless, Alamo, Thrifty or whatever.

Just my op.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:18 pm

I've only rented from Payless a couple of times but my experience was good both times. Of course, it was the same location, so maybe I just lucked out in picking that location.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

IC..They have systematic problems..If you ever need to contact customer service,they are clueless and cant help at all and just refer you to the location where you rented from..only to get nowhere..Im just glad I used American Express for this rental and Im grateful they charged back Payless..All you have to do is read customer comments on Paylesss Facebook page and you will see what I mean..I just hope Im helping even one person make a choice to stay away from Pyaless..Its really one of the worst choices Ive ever made renting from them.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:26 am
Original Poster

As promised I`ve stayed away from Payless and just had a great experience with Hertz..Its worth a few extra dollars to deal with a reputable company and not have the Fear & Anxiety of dealing with PAYLESS..
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:26 pm

Gotta say...

I've been renting cars pretty much 365 days a year for a decade, and I really can't emphasize how I don't trust any of them. Hertz is definitely 5 steps above most, but I can't emphasize how much it pays to take extra precaution to listen, look, and document (including making use of your cell phone camera). You really cannot do enuf to take simple defensive precautions, as most of the rental companies vary so much in employee quality and policies, that you never know when you're gonna get an arrow whizzed your way.

I do make use of low cost rental companies when it's available, but I'm suspicious from the start and never trust, no matter how much they recognize my friendly face.

Right or wrong, I've come to accept that rental car companies are my adversary, and you'd be nuts to not treat them that way. If given the opportunity, that friendly smile you may or may not have seen when you booked your rental, will turn into a monster when the opportunity presents itself and someone at the rental company decides to take notice and advantage.

As promised I`ve stayed away from Payless and just had a great experience with Hertz..Its worth a few extra dollars to deal with a reputable company and not have the Fear & Anxiety of dealing with PAYLESS..
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Air, American Airlines, SWA RapidRewards
Originally Posted by randix
I've been renting cars pretty much 365 days a year for a decade, and I really can't emphasize how I don't trust any of them. Hertz is definitely 5 steps above most, but I can't emphasize how much it pays to take extra precaution to listen, look, and document (including making use of your cell phone camera). You really cannot do enuf to take simple defensive precautions, as most of the rental companies vary so much in employee quality and policies, that you never know when you're gonna get an arrow whizzed your way.

I do make use of low cost rental companies when it's available, but I'm suspicious from the start and never trust, no matter how much they recognize my friendly face.

Right or wrong, I've come to accept that rental car companies are my adversary, and you'd be nuts to not treat them that way. If given the opportunity, that friendly smile you may or may not have seen when you booked your rental, will turn into a monster when the opportunity presents itself and someone at the rental company decides to take notice and advantage.
I always take a short video with phone, in HD, and then follow it up with a couple of high res photos of anything I find on the walk around video.

Then, take a photo of the contract with the date visible as last photo. (to show that I took video and photo before leaving the lot)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.