Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Other Car Rental Programs (ie. Alamo, Enterprise) (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Can my daughter drive our rental car with a learner's permit while we're on vacation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can my daughter drive our rental car with a learner's permit while we're on vacation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
Originally Posted by weezl
What?? A learner's permit is a temporary license to drive legally with a licensed adult in the car. And, yes I would indeed have my loved one drive a rental car, 30K or not, if it was allowed by the rental car company. In fact, it's a great way to have the kid get experience in someone else's car, why sacrifice my own?

No, it's not. A temporary license is typically a "paper license", issued to a driver, who is fully licensed, but awaiting to receive their original license. I suggest that you re-read the CA state laws and maybe even read provisions listed on the driving permit. When I was 15, the permit I received from CA was not a valid license and even stated that on that half sheet of paper.

And just to be clear, the reason why this is a terrible idea is if she does get in an accident, whether her fault or not. You'll be in a breach of your contract, which minimally, could result in monetary fees and/or fines. If she is at fault, I wouldn't count on your insurance paying out due to the breach of contract and some sort of clause you agreed to that they have on their part.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by weezl
Yes I get it. I am not looking for a company to rent to a permit holder, but to rent to me and allow her to get behind the wheel legally. I get that this is essentially "renting to her" but just want to be accurate.

Let's close this thread, it's too irritating and I believe we have an answer to the question.
Yes, only those drivers authorized by the rental company can drive a rental car, even if they aren't the primary renter. I didn't see sermonizing. OP asked free advice from total strangers, without asking the rental company. They can disregard any advice they don't agree with. In the end, it will beup to the rental company, which will have clearly stated rules on renters and drivers. If there's an accident, and someone not on the agreement was driving, there are big problems. Have a nice trip.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
As a former rental car agent (with Enterprise and a local company) I cannot caution you strongly enough to NOT do this. This not only voids your contract but I have seen insurance companies refuse to pay out in the event of damages time and time again when someone not authorized to drive was driving. You also open yourself up to potential civil liability for negligence.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by CMK10
I cannot caution you strongly enough to NOT do this. This not only voids your contract

It would not void the contract if he had explicit permission from the rental company to allow her to drive. It sounded as though as was asking if any rental companies allowed this. The answer seems to be probably not. And people further opined that even if they did, it would not be a good idea. But I did not get the sense that the OP was suggesting that he do it on the "down low."
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fairviewroad

It would not void the contract if he had explicit permission from the rental company to allow her to drive. It sounded as though as was asking if any rental companies allowed this. The answer seems to be probably not. And people further opined that even if they did, it would not be a good idea. But I did not get the sense that the OP was suggesting that he do it on the "down low."
A rental car contract will be voided any time a driver not listed on the contract (except for in some cases a spouse) drives. As rental car companies do not allow people under 18 to drive (at Enterprise and the independent company I worked at, if the DOB was under 18 it wouldn't allow the info to be added) she will not be on the contract. I also cannot imagine any company giving their approval for this whether implicitly or otherwise.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by fairviewroad

Yes. This is what I thought too.
There may be contracts that stipulate that drivers must be allowed by the law to drive, and the OP's daughter is allowed under the law to drive, when supervised etc.
I can also see the point or even wisdom in finding somewhere safer than a busy city to start.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Yes. This is what I thought too.
There may be contracts that stipulate that drivers must be allowed by the law to drive, and the OP's daughter is allowed under the law to drive, when supervised etc.
I can also see the point or even wisdom in finding somewhere safer than a busy city to start.
Who said anything about a busy city?? The opposite is actually true, we were on vacation in a very remote area. But having found no indication that any company would allow a permit holder to drive, even though it was quiet, we did not once violate the contract. Too much liability...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.