Fox, Advantage, Payless any good ?

Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Fox, Advantage, Payless any good ?

Trying to rent a car at PHX and shocked by the high prices for a 6-day rental from places like Alamo, Budget, etc. But there are several places that I'd never heard of, that seem to have lower prices. Googling Payless and Advantage I see some pretty negative comments on yelp.com etc. But Fox looks pretty solid. Comments on any of these ? Thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:51 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I used Fox at PHX once and it was fine. Keep in mind they are cheaper for a reason: Longish shuttle rides to/from airport, much crappier fleet of cars - in fact they even have used cars I believe.

We got a Chevy Impala that was well worn but ran fine. AC worked fine.

YMMV, but for several hundred dollars that we saved it was worth it.

PHX has sky high rental car taxes - depending on how long you rent for you might save money by taking a cab to an in-town rental location.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 2:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've rented at the PHX Advantage a few times (and will be doing so again next week) and have never had any issues. Advantage is owned by Hertz and I used to work at the neighboring Enterprise and got to know the employees at Advantage. I'd never hesitate to rent at any of their locations. I can't speak to Fox though. This thread may interest you:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...advantage.html
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by g_leyser
PHX has sky high rental car taxes - depending on how long you rent for you might save money by taking a cab to an in-town rental location.
I've actually found PHX rates reasonable previously. But this time it's actually cheaper to take the shuttle to Flagstaff (where I am headed) and rent there. But my flight arrival time makes the shuttle extremely inconvenient.

In-town location does save TONS of money - I've done that before when I flew into FLG. But those locations tend to close at 5pm or so - after my flight arrives. Not a problem in FLG, as I'm staying there anyhow and just ride taxi from airport and pick up the car the next AM. But don't want to spend an un-necessary night in Phoenix if I can possibly help it.

Thanks for the thread pointer CMK10 - Advantage doesn't look too bad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.