Fox Car Rental & Website

Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:19 am
dcd
Original Poster

Fox Car Rental & Website

Does anyone had experience with Fox Rent A Car? Where is a better website to book? ... Travelocity, Car Rentals, or other?

We need one way and one day rental between LAX-SAN in April.

Thank you.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs/Partners
Other Car Rental Programs/Partners (ie. Alamo, Enterprise, Sixt)

Fox - LAX

Fox rent a car: any experiences? Codes?

Fox Rental Car Co. harassing for damages AFTER return

Arrive: SFO - Depart: LAX --> Cheapest Car rental

Fox at LAX?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 2:16 pm

Carrentals.com for Fox is pretty good.
Fox is ok, IF you can shut down the high-pressure add-ons sales pitch, AND do a documented inspection before you leave the lot (both ways).
Old Feb 16, 2011, 2:30 pm

I rented from Fox last year in Seattle. It was the cheapest rental I found and significantly so. About $70 for the week.

The car was fine, almost brand new. The problem was there was 1 person working the counter and a long line of people. Took 30 mins in line to get the car. I don't know if there should have been 2 people at the counter and someone didn't show up for work or it's 1 person all the time. And given how they had such a low rate, there were probably more people than usual.

This was a personal rental, not a business rental. So spending 30 mins in line to save $70 wasn't the end of the world. I'll stand in line for $140/hr.

Returning the car was nice and quick.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:00 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Whoever you book with, you'll need to check out any (added) cost of your one-way rental. If you work for an employer with a contract with a rental car co., that contract may eliminate or reduce the one-way fee. Also note that some companies and contract rental IDs do not offer unlimited miles on one-ways but add a per mile charge after a certain number of miles.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:47 am
dcd
Original Poster

Thank you all for the useful information. We will go with Fox then and be careful with the inspections.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: AA PLT
I just used them for a car rental in LAX. Got a great car - low mileage Jeep Wrangler. Clean. Pickup process was fairly quick (about 20 minutes during peak).

Dropoff was quick and easy. They didn't charge me any extra fees even though I was about 10 minutes late.

I had a good experience and would use them again.
Old May 16, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
(bump)

Has anyone rented from the LAX location lately? Reading the threads on this site about Fox has got me wondering if I made the right decision... seems kind of sketchy, but man oh man the deals are good.

I figure I can handle a 30 minute wait in line and some pushy upselling tactics, but it's the prospect of the wheels flying off the car on the freeway that I'm worried about.
Old May 16, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Avoid Fox like the plague! I rented from them at LAX, and after I returned the car, I noticed they had added an additional fee which was not disclosed at the time of rental pick-up. I tried calling the customer "service" number many times, but no answer. I finally disputed the fee through my credit card, and they ruled in my favor. I would never rent with Fox again.

Also, I don't like their policy of charging the entire rental fee PLUS an additional deposit to your credit card at the time you pick up the car. This is not a temporary authorization. It is an actual charge. Then, after you return the car, they will credit your account for the deposit. I found it takes several days for the credit to go through. I don't know of any other car rental company with a policy like this.
Old May 16, 2012, 5:16 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As Polar Man pointed out, above, Fox has been discussed in our Other Rental Car Company forum and I'll move this thread to that forum for more discussion. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old May 17, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Platinum, American Platinum, Air Canada 25K
Just rented in Vegas and will never use that Fox location again

Its an off-terminal location that requires you to take the LAS rental car shuttle from the airport and transfer to another shuttle to the Fox location. On arrival at the Fox center, the line was 25 renters (not people) deep with only 2 individuals to service the crowd. I waited 40 minutes to get the car.

Car was fine

On return, one person to manage the 3 return lanes and after waiting long enough, I just left the car. Return to airport requires the same song and dance of taking the shuttle back to the rental car center and get another shuttle to the airport. I took a taxi from the center as I was getting late for the flight and made it by 5 minutes.

I've rented from other Fox outlets and had a much better experience. For the same rate in LAS, you can use Advantage RAC and take only one shuttle.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by cullen24
Just rented in Vegas and will never use that Fox location again

Its an off-terminal location that requires you to take the LAS rental car shuttle from the airport and transfer to another shuttle to the Fox location. On arrival at the Fox center, the line was 25 renters (not people) deep with only 2 individuals to service the crowd. I waited 40 minutes to get the car.

Car was fine

On return, one person to manage the 3 return lanes and after waiting long enough, I just left the car. Return to airport requires the same song and dance of taking the shuttle back to the rental car center and get another shuttle to the airport. I took a taxi from the center as I was getting late for the flight and made it by 5 minutes.

I've rented from other Fox outlets and had a much better experience. For the same rate in LAS, you can use Advantage RAC and take only one shuttle.

Same exact situation in LAS this past week. The extra shuttle isnt a problem unless you are pressed for time. However I am a gov traveler and cheapest is always best, so FOX was my only choice. Upon arrival, I waited almost an hour before I was finally released with a vehicle. I didn't have the upsell happen to me, probably because of their gov contract. After the counter, you have to wait OUTSIDE, in VEGAS, for someone to bring a car to you. I got a brand new toyota, literally 134 miles on it, so that was fine. Had to wait another 20 minutes to get out, because only one lane was checking cars out, then upon return there was only one person working the 3 lane returns.

I don't know if I blame the employees or the customers, because it seemed like every customer was at the counter for 20 minutes trying to change cars or complaining. Meanwhile, once I was at the counter, with all my paperwork in hand, I was checked out in about 6 minutes.

I tweeted to the company, we kicked some emails back and forth and I was supposed to talk to the manager when I returned but I just wanted to get the heck out of there as my flight time was creeping up.

I wouldn't use again.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:02 am
dcd
Original Poster

We had a good experience with FOX rental but just for one day, one way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.