Enterprise airport swap from a city location?

Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Enterprise airport swap from a city location?

I want to rent a specific car make/model (Mistubishi RVR); I know enterprise carries them as I've had them from the local airport location (YYZ)

The airport location wants $450/wk for the SCAR while the off-airport locations only want $230/wk. The off-airport locations all seem to be car-dealer franchises though so are unlikely to have Mitsubishis lying around.

Can I rent from an off-airport location, pickup the ratty Sebring they'll hand out as an SCAR, and exchange it at the airport location for an RVR?

I know this works with National, but I don't know about Enterprise.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:44 pm

Whereas affiliate National has a floating fleet, Enterprise seems to assign cars to specific locations or regions. I don't think they would make exchanges very easy.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 10:01 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
In my experience from when I worked there, the only time they will arrange this is if you have some issue with your current car AND the home city branches are closed. If say you had a Tire Pressure light come on and it was Sunday, they'd help you out, but otherwise I don't think it will work.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: Centurion
the car dealer locations, can only rent that same brand..

but to answer your original question, ive swaped out at airport before.. no problems..
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:32 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
My experience has they will charge you a "drop-off fee" if you don't return it to the original location. On my last car it was going to be $200. And of course, as often as I can - do not rent from Enterprise; they are just plain awful in so many ways.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by CMK10
In my experience from when I worked there, the only time they will arrange this is if you have some issue with your current car AND the home city branches are closed. If say you had a Tire Pressure light come on and it was Sunday, they'd help you out, but otherwise I don't think it will work.
You left before they integrated the fleet and changed to the "floating" model, right? I haven't heard a ton about how this has changed actual operating practices and policies, but their computer systems now at least have the ability to deal with foreign branch swaps and having branches gain and lose cars to/from other branches.

They still spread each branch's expenses over that branch's fleet, though, so gaining/losing cars still changes those calculations...so one-way rentals are certainly not a standard, common practice now. But it's at least do-able in ECARS (and definitely Odyssey).

Originally Posted by ldsant
My experience has they will charge you a "drop-off fee" if you don't return it to the original location. On my last car it was going to be $200. And of course, as often as I can - do not rent from Enterprise; they are just plain awful in so many ways.
Was that just a straight one-way drop, or was it a swap? If someone swaps to a roughly equivalent car (i.e. midsize for midsize), the original renting branch doesn't gain or lose a car--it just trades for another car of roughly comparable value. I doubt they'd charge a drop fee in that case but haven't heard one way or another.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jackal
You left before they integrated the fleet and changed to the "floating" model, right? I haven't heard a ton about how this has changed actual operating practices and policies, but their computer systems now at least have the ability to deal with foreign branch swaps and having branches gain and lose cars to/from other branches.

They still spread each branch's expenses over that branch's fleet, though, so gaining/losing cars still changes those calculations...so one-way rentals are certainly not a standard, common practice now. But it's at least do-able in ECARS (and definitely Odyssey).
I left in February, 2008. Those terms all seem familiar and I think we had the technology but I'm not sure, no. Still, knowing Enterprise, at least group 50 the way I do, I still think chances are they'd be reluctant to do this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.