Any way to avoid airport facility charges for locals?

Old May 4, 2011, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Any way to avoid airport facility charges for locals?

Almost all car rental co's serving shuttle service to airports seem to add an airport facility charge. Is there a way to avoid this fee, if you are renting as a local person, whereby you do not fly into the airport, nor use any of their shuttles, but get to the rental location on your own?

I seem to remember that car rental companies asked, if you were flying in or were local ....
Old May 4, 2011, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Don't rent at the airport facility.

Many rental car companies have off airport locations, and you can save big. In Phoenix, I've rented at a local place, and then returned to the airport and avoided the extra fees.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Interesting. I have found (in CA) the best rates, especially on weekend, to be at the airports.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta Gold
Avis for one will waive the fee if you provide a local phone number. I think that they may be required to do this. Have you asked?
Old May 7, 2011, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Many rental car companies have off airport locations, and you can save big. In Phoenix, I've rented at a local place, and then returned to the airport and avoided the extra fees.
Many do in many cities, but LAX seems to be an odd one. There are a lot of Hertz LEs and Enterprises (obviously), but the number of Alamo/National/Dollar/Thrifty/Avis/Budget locations is quite limited (a couple scattered maybe downtown and in one or two other places in the Southland). And if you're in the airport area, there are no options with these companies other than the airport, unlike many other cities, where a $10 cab ride away from the airport will get you to an off-airport branch of these companies.
Old May 9, 2011, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by homeward_bound235
Avis for one will waive the fee if you provide a local phone number. I think that they may be required to do this. Have you asked?
I have not seen any competitive rates on Avis recently. Still, appreciate your feedback. ^
Old May 10, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
I have not seen any competitive rates on Avis recently. Still, appreciate your feedback. ^
I only rent Avis because of our (mandated) corporate discount program. However, I would imagine the others behave similarly. Is that not the case?
Old May 17, 2011, 3:51 am

Programs: avis president , national executive, hertz presidents, delta platinum, spg platinum
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

will you pay drop off fees, if you return to the airport?
Old May 17, 2011, 4:28 am

Higher one-way rates sometimes apply, depending on day, rental agency, and contract code.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.