Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can I use AAdvantage mile to rent a car?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

How can I use AAdvantage mile to rent a car?

I have a zillion americian miles. I cannot figure out how to use them to rent a car. ANy clues?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:39 am
g11

Programs: SPG Gold, Sixt Gold
Here is their website for redeeming miles for Hotels and Car Rentals - https://www.useaamiles.com/carhotel/default.asp
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: Emerald EE; Delta PM; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
AAdvantage miles to rent Budget cars - Thanks

Thanks! I just saved $750+ today by using my miles!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
Careful when using AA miles for a car rental! They only pay the car part of the rental!

As clearly(?) stated on the web site, when you get there you will need to pay all local/city/state/sales taxes and other fees (such as concession recovery fee, vehicle license fee, etc). Often (i.e. Las Vegas) those are more than the charge for the car itself!

p.s.
It can really be confusing using AA miles here (for hotels and car rentals) as when you do a hotel via AA miles they do pay the taxes but still don't pay some things like resort fees, etc.

Last edited by jgxtrav1; Nov 23, 2010 at 11:48 am
Old Nov 26, 2010, 1:20 am
g11

Programs: SPG Gold, Sixt Gold
Another thing to keep in mind is that you won't have car insurance from credit cards since you did not pay in full on the CC.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by g11
Another thing to keep in mind is that you won't have car insurance from credit cards since you did not pay in full on the CC.
Unless you have the optional Premium Car Rental Protection from American Express, where even a $1 charge from a merchant tagged as a rental car operator will trigger the $25 charge that provides you with primary collision coverage.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rhumba
Thanks! I just saved $750+ today by using my miles!
Ok, i have completed the transaction and here are the results.

1. i used 18500 miles from american
2. i got a budget car for 9 days in austin tx over the thanksgiving week
3. the pdf from aadvantage said 'paid in full' but the fine print says 'except for taxes and fees.'
4. the budget guys warned me 126$ after i drop off in 9 days
5. they were right. here is the breakdown:
a. 26.14 11.11% fee
b. 3.50/day cfc 31.50
c. 2.25/day vlf 20.25
d .56/day erf 5.04
taxable subtotal 82.93
tax 15% 43.94
total charges 126.87

concession recovery fee
cust facility chg
veh license recoup fee
energy recover fee

they guy at the budget counter said 220$ was the cash value of the 18.5k miles from budget's perspective.

i wish there was a way to pay 100% with miles even if it took more miles. i have more miles than cash rite now.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Car Rental Booking Experience

Hello,

I am very intrigued about this relatively new program for AA. With the newish co-pays and miles upgrade and having rare opportunity to book complete travel via AA miles for various reasons, this is potentially a great program for me and others who gets miles, but not a lot to use for free air tickets.

Here is what I have learned from my experience for an upcoming rental.

-It appears AA Vacations is the supplier/negotiator for this program. It is unclear how AA compensates the company providing the service. It might be a barter for miles program at AA, or it might be cash equivalent. However, it appears that there is a distinct dollar value tied to the item before taxes which is quite different than a free air ticket award from my experience.

-Usually, Priceline or some combination of coupons would work best to get a cheap car. However, I have six people, and I had to guarantee a minivan or other 7 seater. Frankly, based on the information from the sources and other tools -- a minivan or large SUV that guarantees space for everyone was pretty expensive. Even for the weekend. Reducing cash outlay, very useful.

-So, based on the price of miles offered for the reservation. It appears that it was a 1.25 cents per mile conversion to if I paid cash for the car.

-It is absolutely true that taxes are not included. This is clear upfront and confirmed by the reservation team. This is bad because taxes are ridiculous.

-It is not clear that I won't get miles. Since AA says clearly it is up to the vendor, and it is treated more as a tour voucher concept not a free voucher. If the tour voucher was negotiated to allow miles (assuming I pay the FF fee per day), we will find out. It is not clear that the vendor knows it was a 'paid for by miles' voucher since it could be the same voucher used by AAvacations for the bulk tour vouchers. If anyone knows when the car rental is by Dollar on an AAvacation package, if you get miles. Then, likely the same answer.

-Additional reason for booking via this service was unlimited miles was included while it was only 150 miles per day via retail for this Dollar Rent a Car. This is a significant plus for some. It may make no difference in my case (unless I can really drive a lot during that weekend).

-AA reservation support at this group is phenomenal. The representative tried to replicate the taxes (like I did using the retail site) and gave me the valuation of the rental (likely to be used for the taxes). I feel comfortable with this projected tax price -- even if it is outrageous. Sure, other airlines may include the taxes (UA/DL), but I wonder what the total value comes out to be per mile otherwise. Best customer support representative ever for any rewards prograrm I have ever used. Great job!

-It is not clear that I will not have free secondary rental car CC coverage since many of the fine print allow purchase by voucher and remainder by credit card (such as the taxes). I think those who say that it is not CC covered need to verify their fine print from the CC companies. I have some experience with the CC coverage and the text I saw allowed for coupons and vouchers. Frankly, the problem was the secondary type of such free insurance (almost useless). If my primary company did have anything to deny in the first place (in the end, I was not at fault anyway, the other driver was responsible who hit the rental).

-I am not able to pull up my reservation directly at Dollar's website because it is through their tour voucher channel. However, I do have the direct line to them if I had a problem which is helpful. (They could not email me the reservation from their side -- so I could compare to what AA sent to me.)

-You get an AA booking reference number even before you confirm/submit on the last screen. Intriguing.

-Any surcharges you would typically pay, still apply.

Thanks,
Rasheed

Last edited by rasheed; Dec 16, 2010 at 8:25 pm Reason: Grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.