Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Other Car Rental Programs (ie. Alamo, Enterprise) (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Request: better-than-average rental car (compact or mid-size) at LAX - Alamo or other

Request: better-than-average rental car (compact or mid-size) at LAX - Alamo or other

Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

I was curious to find out what experiences you've had renting from different companies at LAX. My friend had once rented a compact from Enterprise and got a BMW 328i for his troubles. I'll be there a week before Christmas and it would be nice to drive something other than a Corolla or a Malibu. What company is my best bet? Right now I have a 6-day deal at Alamo for $98 for a compact - any chance they have something other than a Versa on the lot? Or does it vary so much that my question is pointless?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:08 pm

Programs: United 1P; AA Gold; National EE; SPG Plat; HH Gold; Fairmont Plat
I am a little confused as to your question.

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
My friend had once rented a compact from Enterprise and got a BMW 328i for his troubles.
What troubles? If there is a problem there is a chance that a car may be upgraded, but obviously getting upgraded from a compact to a BMW is probably one in a million.

Right now I have a 6-day deal at Alamo for $98 for a compact - any chance they have something other than a Versa on the lot?
The most common response that people will tell you, is that, if you want a nicer car, then the way to do it is pay for it. That said, I always reserve the cheapest car and play it by ear once I get to the rental counter. Sometimes, if you ask nicely they may give you something nicer. Be reasonable though; from a compact car, there is only so much that you can be upgraded.

Or does it vary so much that my question is pointless?
I would say that there is no consistency at all between any two rentals even at the same location, so it would be hard for anyone to give you a definite answer.

The bottom line is, if you need a nicer car, then reserve one accordingly. If not, go in and hope for the best. Don't hesitate to ask nicely for an upgrade as you sometimes may get it.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dagrin
I am a little confused as to your question.
What troubles? If there is a problem there is a chance that a car may be upgraded, but obviously getting upgraded from a compact to a BMW is probably one in a million.
Figure of speech.
The bottom line is, if you need a nicer car, then reserve one accordingly. If not, go in and hope for the best. Don't hesitate to ask nicely for an upgrade as you sometimes may get it.
I was not so much looking for tips on how to get a nicer car as I wanted to know what makes/models are available with what rental agencies at LAX (from people's personal experiences), but that may be too broad a question, I suppose.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:25 am

As far as personal experience, I have rented and definitely seen every car that Avis LAX has to offer. Obviously, as you said, it would be crazy to sit down and list all their cars, but if you had a specific question about their fleet, I can try to help.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:03 am
Original Poster

As far as personal experience, I have rented and definitely seen every car that Avis LAX has to offer. Obviously, as you said, it would be crazy to sit down and list all their cars, but if you had a specific question about their fleet, I can try to help.
I'm interested in the Japanese (better than Corolla, but compacts still OK) and German side of their fleet.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:14 pm

I'm interested in the Japanese (better than Corolla, but compacts still OK) and German side of their fleet.
Avis has the Nissan Altima (full size - 2 and 4 dr) and Maxima (premium), Toyota Camry (prob full size), and Avalon (Premium), Infinity g37 (specialty car) and maybe thats about it for nice Japanese cars. I don't think they have any Honda.

As far as German - I don't believe they have any. Hertz has assorted Mercedes Benz (C-class, E-class, GLK) but Avis sticks to Cadillac and Lincoln. When I was there last week they had a nice amount of Lincoln MKS which is a pretty nice car.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Right now I have a 6-day deal at Alamo for $98 for a compact - any chance they have something other than a Versa on the lot?
I have found that quite often, Alamo has VW Beetles as compacts, Jettas as midsize at LAX- and sometimes when they are short on compacts, you can even get a Jetta as a compact (!).

(Since Alamo/National/Enterprise mix fleets under Enterprise's corporate rubric, you can get the better cars sometimes at Alamo.)

Given that, Alamo tends to be my preferred choice at LAX, as I've often gotten better cars there than at Avis or Hertz for a fraction of the price (and I have Avis Preferred/Hertz Gold 5 Star). (At LAS, though, Alamo is going to give you Kia Rios and Chevy Cobalts where LAX might get you a Jetta, so this isn't universal. Sadly, I often shop on price + mileage return when it comes to LAS and settle for Alamo...)

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 18, 2010 at 1:33 am
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I have found that quite often, Alamo has VW Beetles as compacts, Jettas as midsize at LAX- and sometimes when they are short on compacts, you can even get a Jetta as a compact (!).

(Since Alamo/National/Enterprise mix fleets under Enterprise's corporate rubric, you can get the better cars sometimes at Alamo.)

Given that, Alamo tends to be my preferred choice at LAX, as I've often gotten better cars there than at Avis or Hertz for a fraction of the price (and I have Avis Preferred/Hertz Gold 5 Star). (At LAS, though, Alamo is going to give you Kia Rios and Chevy Cobalts where LAX might get you a Jetta, so this isn't universal. Sadly, I often shop on price + mileage return when it comes to LAS and settle for Alamo...)
Good to know! I'd love to get a Jetta for a week instead of the American fare...
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Bribing rental agents works, since they work on commission and have plenty of leeway on pricing.

To get a good price on an upgrade, act like price is a MAJOR factor for you. Don't look too eager to pay for an upgrade, since they will pick up on this and quote a higher price. Look interested at what they have available but then do something like wince and ask how much it is. When they quote a price, tell them, "That's a bit more than I was planning on spending."

Or, you can play the bargaining method and try to get a free upgrade. Say, "I was thinking about buying the collision coverage (and/or the prepaid fuel option). If I get coverage, can you get me a nicer car?" The agent wants something--anything--from you, so this is a good way of getting two products for the price of one. (Prepaid gas is a good one, because you're going to need to buy gas for the car anyway, so it really won't cost you anything extra to buy prepaid gas and return the car empty--and you'll get a free upgrade out of it.)

Heck, bring them a $10 Starbucks gift card and say that you have this extra gift card if you can get a nicer car. Kinda tacky, but it could work.

Don't just outright ask for a free upgrade without offering something in exchange. You'll just make the agent roll their eyes at you and will probably ensure you get the smallest, crappiest car in your reserved car class that happens to be parked on the farthest end of the lot.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Good to know! I'd love to get a Jetta for a week instead of the American fare...
Sure enough, got a brand new Jetta. After a day in the rain, something started squeaking horribly in the dash and I returned it. Got a Ford Fusion instead, very happy having spent 77 bucks for five days!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Sure enough, got a brand new Jetta. After a day in the rain, something started squeaking horribly in the dash and I returned it. Got a Ford Fusion instead, very happy having spent 77 bucks for five days!
I guess Volkswagon 'Built in Mexico' isn't up to the quality of Ford 'Built in Mexico'?

Ron.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.