FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Car Rental Programs (ie. Alamo, Enterprise) (closed to posting) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-car-rental-programs-ie-alamo-enterprise-closed-posting-595/)
-   -   Help with car hire one way Vancouver-Calgary and rental in St John's NF (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-car-rental-programs-ie-alamo-enterprise-closed-posting/1310970-help-car-hire-one-way-vancouver-calgary-rental-st-johns-nf.html)

nivsy Feb 6, 2012 5:58 am

Help with car hire one way Vancouver-Calgary and rental in St John's NF

Hiya. Uk resident checking lately on car hire for compact size between Vancouver Airport and Calgary (4 days) one way rental. While some of the prices seem reasonable enough for unlimited mileage etc I see that 300 CAD appear to be the normal for one rental add on. Does this seem to be correct? Are they also likely to give me rust bucket as it is a one way rental.

Also looking for car hire from YYT (ST John's). Also for 4 days pick up and return from YYT. Prices seem to be without unlimited miles...

Is Canada that mean for car hire opportunity? Any thoughtds on best car options appreciated...

Nivsy

Brendan Feb 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Canadian car rental co.s are usually not 1-way friendly. But I was lucky to find that National does have good rates from Downtown Vancouver at the Sandman Hotel to Calgary (downtown or airport) or Edmonton (airport only.) I just booked a full-size on nationalcar.com @ C$40 daily or C$230 weekly - discount from American Airlines Contract ID 5026041 + taxes = C$250 per week unlimited kms & no drop charge! Compacts are barely any cheaper, perhaps $18 a week. However, this rate has NO collision coverage, but I am covered thru my credit cards & my USA auto insurance policy.
If U use a Website ending in .uk, the rates are usually higher but include full insurance!

nivsy Feb 29, 2012 7:14 am

Thanks Brendan,

Still find it amazing how expensive car hire is in Canada and waiting out for a possible solution.

Certainly when looking at looking Vancouver-Calgary one way thr price is over 400 UK Pounds...which includes a rather ridiculous one way drop off of CAD 300....It's not really that far.

The days of mileage charhges in the UK were dropped years ago!

Brendan Feb 29, 2012 7:24 am

Nivsy, please try nationalcar.com (USA version) to get the rates in my Post #2, which now include a 20% discount by adding Contract ID 5026041 in the appropriate box. If U keep the car >= 5 days add Coupon ID ?? in the other box for $35 off! U may need to use a US or Canadian address to get these rates, such as one of your hotels ;) . Be sure U have insurance via your credit card or your UK auto insurance policy, or pay an extra C$30 or so a day for CDW/ LDW, because these rates offer NO collision cover; if U total the car, U must pay National the full value :eek: !

profan Feb 29, 2012 7:25 am

i just checked random dates in March on ebookers.com, hertz offers oneways YVR to Calfgary for as low as £122.18, "Total rental price includes taxes and fees", with no one way drop-off fee ("There is no one-way drop off fee for this car and rental")

ACC2008 Feb 29, 2012 12:15 pm

I just tried to use the code 5026041 and my rate went up $5.00/day.

Go figure!