E-Zpass.com nuances

Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:16 am
Original Poster

E-Zpass.com nuances

I don't own a car or plates; and like so many NYorkers, I have an 8-digit E-Zpass account used during my rentals. I buy a transponder kit at a store for $30. Then, I call toll-free# and ask them to register this new 11-digit tag to my account. This instantly adds $30, as I have Credit Card listed on the account.

On 12/24/11, I drove a rental RV one-way from NY to FL. I bought transpoder kit to take with me, but didn't make a call - because I doubted the tag could be used by class 02 2-axle 10-ton RV. My sole reason to carry the un-opened tag packet to FL was to use it on reverse one-way CAR rental.

I paid cash at a couple of gates; until Maryland's $4.00 toll-collector suddenly tells me "it took your EZpass, so... go". I couldn't instantly figure out what happened, and I guessed that their gate took somebody-elses payment in lieu of mine. Same has not occurred at 3-4 other gates Southbound. Could my un-opened package tag in the RV cabin be read by Maryland gate??

So fast-forward 1 week later: I'm driving a rental CAR Northbound 1/02/12. Before reaching Baltimore, I dial toll-free# on my package "to register your tag", and it just dies after one ring: no tape, no message, no call transfer. Tried from payphones as well, all the way from Maryland to NJ. Turned out, January 2 was their statutory holiday. Now, I stand to lose $12.00-$3.50=$8.50 on bridge crossing from NJ into NY, as my account is registered for carpool crossing (PACP) - but this tag is not registered to my account!!

In the meantime, this tag already paid $3 Baltimore Tunnel, $6 Maryland, $4 Delaware and not sure how much NJ turnpike (maybe $12 at new rates). So even if Southbound fluke didn't come from my tag, the remaining balance on the tag is running out from either the $20 total (because tag has never been registered at all) or max.$30 total (not sure why all $30 would be available if a tag hasn't been attached to any account). Lo'n'behold, on NY crossing the tag pays $12. I show the booth a printout of my account, showing I have PACP rate of $3.50 - but of course she says the system doesn't allow her to make any adjustment. She just gives me receipt evidence that there were enough people in the car...

Should I bother to register tag to my account ("must be done within 2 days of using tag"). If I don't, will car rental company (via FL plate) get billed for insufficiency on that unregistered tag - even though gate accepted the tag's toll payment? (I don't want a debt with this rental co., nor of course do I want a trace by NY DMV to my license thru rental co. data)

So the issues raised above:
1. what debt level is pursued by E-Zpass enforcers
2. what do rental co's do when they get enforcement query of this small amount
3. what gates read tags even if you're not holding the tag near windshield
4. why would gate say "EZpass PAID", even if there is not sufficient balance
5. do holidays or processing times cloud the picture?
6. what axle, weight level matters for RV's (they carry non-commercial plate, of course)

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Jan 4, 2012 at 6:43 am
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Opinions I get so far: they run a multi-million toll business, and they don't allocate resources to investigate a small defficiency like this. After all: if they sell a device like this via "CHECK CASHING" places (I never had a chance to find out at what point some next booth would not accept payment from this device), and the booth light said "EZpass PAID" - would a plate picture even be taken? Even if taken, would they allocate resources to analyse the picture, trace the FL plate to car rental co. and bill them for a small defficiency on tag - even though the gate light said "EZpass PAID"?
People tell me to just forget the whole thing

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.