avoiding FF surcharges

Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:53 am
Original Poster

avoiding FF surcharges

This inquiry really applies to all car rental companies. What airlines and hotels do not have a Frequent Flyer surcharge (or at least a very low one), as it never seems worth it to pay 75 cents per day for a few miles? I think American only charges 6 cents a day, and if that's correct, I'm ok with that, but would like to know my other choices.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: avis president , national executive, hertz presidents, delta platinum, spg platinum
Originally Posted by sharonsimon
This inquiry really applies to all car rental companies. What airlines and hotels do not have a Frequent Flyer surcharge (or at least a very low one), as it never seems worth it to pay 75 cents per day for a few miles? I think American only charges 6 cents a day, and if that's correct, I'm ok with that, but would like to know my other choices.
you can always request the miles after the rental online
Old Jul 1, 2011, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by sharonsimon
AA: 6 cents per day
Hotels: no charge
Foreign (non-US) airlines: no charge
All other US airlines: not worth it
Old Jul 1, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
[QUOTE=jackal;16655371
All other US airlines: not worth it[/QUOTE]

Not quite. There is often a cap for the fee (something like $2.50 per rental), and if you're getting bonus miles, it's not unheard of to pay that $2.50 extra for ~$1,500 miles - or $0.0017 per mile (plus the cost of the rental itself, of course - but presumably you would rent the car whether you got the miles or not). Assuming you're getting the cheapest rate possible, yes, that's worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.