FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Car Rental Programs (ie. Alamo, Enterprise) (closed to posting) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-car-rental-programs-ie-alamo-enterprise-closed-posting-595/)
-   -   Who owns who? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-car-rental-programs-ie-alamo-enterprise-closed-posting/1116684-who-owns-who.html)

BigLexx Aug 15, 2010 9:19 pm

Who owns who?

Hi everone, new to the forum and I hope to learn alot while being a member.My question is which rental car company owns who i.e. Enterprise own Nat/Alamo. And heard a rumor that they now own Hertz as well. Help me if I'm wrong:confused:

captainiglo Aug 16, 2010 4:45 am

Enterprise owns Alamo and National. They have a 'partnership' with Europcar as well.

As far as I know, they do NOT own Hertz and I would be very surprised if they intend to do that....

lowfareair Aug 16, 2010 12:22 pm

The major rental car companies in the US, with each company's primary market in parentheses:

Hertz Global Holdings: Hertz (business) - Advantage (downmarket/leisure)

Avis Budget Group: Avis (business) - Budget (downmarket/leisure)

Enterprise Holdings: Enterprise (local/insurance replacement) National(business), Alamo (leisure)

Dollar-Thrifty Automotive Group**: Dollar (leisure) Thrifty (business)

Independents:
-ACE Rent a Car
-Payless Car Rental
-Rent-a-Wreck (downmarket)

**Dollar-Thrifty has takeover bids by both Hertz and Avis Budget, so they will likely be absorbed into one of the two in the near to mid future.

BigLexx Aug 16, 2010 10:15 pm

Thanks guys for the heads up!

jackal Aug 21, 2010 3:13 am

Originally Posted by lowfareair (Post 14490934)
Dollar-Thrifty Automotive Group**: Dollar (leisure) Thrifty (business)

Everything correct IMHO except for this. More accurately, it's:

Dollar-Thrifty Automotive Group**: Dollar (leisure) Thrifty (leisure)
This is both the blessing and downfall for DTAG. The downfall is they don't have an arm to capture the higher-margin business traffic that is willing to pay more for extra services, but the blessing is that they were able to maintain a consistently low cost structure and keep prices low through the recession, which actually served as a tremendous boost to their business as companies previously willing to pay higher prices at Hertz/National/Avis moved their business to Dollar or Thrifty.

Frenchie Flyer Aug 1, 2013 7:59 pm

Looking for this info and wanted to update Hertz:
Hertz owns Advantage, Dollar, Thifty, and Ace

heraclitus Aug 1, 2013 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Frenchie Flyer (Post 21199960)

Actually, it appears that Hertz recently sold off "Simply Wheelz" dba Advantage to Macquarie Capital/Franchise Services of North America.

jackal Aug 1, 2013 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Frenchie Flyer (Post 21199960)

In addition to having spun off Advantage (as mentioned by heraclitus), Hertz doesn't own Ace, either. Ace is privately held.

Also, Avis recently bought Payless. I've created and updated the wiki accordingly.