EVA Air and babies?

Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, USAirways
EVA Air and babies?

I will be going to Taiwan with a child and returning from Taiwan with a child and an infant. Does anyone know if EVA Air will let you use a carseat on board? Particularly for the baby, I was not planning to book a seat for her since her flight will be one-way. On U.S. carriers, if there is an empty seat they will let you use a carseat for a baby, does EVA do that? I know they have the bassinets for babies, but we have never flown without the kids in a carseat and it makes me nervous. Is the TPE-LAX flight usually full in Elite class?

Do you think we will run into any trouble trying to use a carseat on the plane for an older child?

Karen
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:04 am

Why don't you contact their reservation center to find out?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:18 am
Original Poster

I was hoping for some real world experiences. What customer service says and what the airlines actually do varies a lot with the U.S. airlines, so I assumed it might be the same here.

Karen
Old Mar 24, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by stillplayswithbarbies
I was hoping for some real world experiences.
Quite right too! It's what FT is for.. to answer stuff for people who fly. By extension, almost anything could be answered by customer services and we could do without this forum. Generally anything concerned with safety ends up being at the discretion of the crew - so you couldn't hold them to what a reservation centre says.

Sorry can't answer much, except I know they are strict about not using the basinets during landing/take off. You are supposed to hold the baby. In all my flying with EVA, I've never seen someone use a car seat before, and I'm usually in Elite and usually near the front. I "feel" they wouldn't allow the car seat during landing and take-off, and probably that's your biggest concern.

Hopefully you'll get a more useful reply soon!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Car seats are not allowed on plane, they must be checked in at the gate at last. However, if you don't want to be the last one to get down the plane, you might want to check it in at the departure hall.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

this is one case where real world experience differs from the airline customer service. The EVA website says that car seats are required when a single adult travels with two babies. So that would imply that car seats are allowed? Perhaps the FAs don't know that, I find on U.S. carriers they often don't know the rules about carseats.

my car seat for my older daughter folds up into a duffle bag and looks like carry-on so I think I will chance it and just put it in the overhead if they won't let me use it.

actually, take off and landing are not my "worst" concern because if something happens there, it will likely be catastrophic anyway. During the flight the carseat is to protect from sudden turbulence. (yes, I know I am overprotective)

thank you all for answering my questions. I am a long time member here but first time poster and wasn't sure if I was overstepping my bounds by asking a question without first sharing answers on some other topic.

Karen
Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:19 pm

Programs: EVA, SQ, DL, AA, UA...
Originally Posted by stillplayswithbarbies
thank you all for answering my questions. I am a long time member here but first time poster and wasn't sure if I was overstepping my bounds by asking a question without first sharing answers on some other topic.
A question is a much better start than an opinion

Please remember to post your actual experience for other moms in the same situation.

We are lucky, between Jimbo and Coolfish, just about any EVA question can be solved…

Mendo
Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:32 pm

Came across this old thread when searching for something else and just wanted to update it to say that Eva absolutely does allow the use of car seats. We flew them in March 2010 and June 2008 and used a Britax car seat both times. The FAs had no problem with it and were very helpful each time

They were also fine with us using the CARES harness for our slightly older child.

Just didn't want anyone to come across this and think they wouldn't be allowed to use a car seat. It is so much safer for an infant or child.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Thanks for taking the trouble to update the thread, now we know.

Welcome to FT!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Debberoo
Came across this old thread when searching for something else and just wanted to update it to say that Eva absolutely does allow the use of car seats. We flew them in March 2010 and June 2008 and used a Britax car seat both times. The FAs had no problem with it and were very helpful each time

They were also fine with us using the CARES harness for our slightly older child.

Just didn't want anyone to come across this and think they wouldn't be allowed to use a car seat. It is so much safer for an infant or child.
apparently this is another one of those YMMV issues...

car seat was not allowed... the purser even asked the pilot who said "no, you check seat of cars or we wait this place, cannot close door so no fly plane... please do, baby fly fine on leg lap" and forced us to check the car seat. We were in Preimum Laurel on a 777. (this was Feb 2010) The cabin was less than 30% full and I decided not to argue for the 14-hour flight....

By the way, how did the pilot get a job flying 77s7 when his English skill was worse than taxi drivers in New York City. I remember the exact words because it was so funny...(but at the time, I had no idea what he was saying and he had to repeat it in Chinese to the purser, who translated it to me in English)
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:20 pm

Programs: CX GO, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, PC Plat Amb, MR Gold, Amex Plat
I have flown in PL many times (trans-Pacific) and seen car seats on the seat a couple of times. I asked the parents and FAs about the car seats. The answers are the same: It is allowed if the car seats is FAA approved to be used in an airplane. And you have to pay for the extra seat. This was 2009 and 2010.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:50 am

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
YMMV.. depends on how diplomatic you are, how the FA's are feeling that day, and the load capacity... For the most part I saw them putting strollers and other baby items in plastic bags and checked in at the gate... then they are brought out at the end of the flight.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:04 am

Wanting to update... We just flew EVA Air to Taiwan and took a side trip to Hong Kong on Dragonair. EVA to Taiwan and return on Economy Elite allowed us to use the CARES harness for our 1 and 3 year old. We did purchase seats for both. Dragonair wanted to provide us with the baby belt extender but we told them we brought our own safety harness... all in my terrible Mandarin. FA on Dragonair was confused but Dragonair and its parent company Cathay specifically state on their websites that as long as you purchase a seat for your child you may use CARES or car seat. We mentioned this and they were fine. Both flights had ample open seats so I am fairly sure they would have allowed the infant a seat even without a purchased ticket.
Old May 31, 2013, 1:07 am

Thinking of flying EVA from SEA to TPE in November with an under 2 year old. Do I have it right that kids under 2 fly free if they are lap childs (I thought I had to pay a percentage, but this thread makes me think otherwise)? Do I just call up ticketing to add the child? Any ideas how full these flights are in Economy, Elite or Premium Laurel? Chances of getting a free seat for the lap child. Also, if I wanted to buy a seat, would I just pretend that he is 2-11?

And what about for rewards travel using partner rewards? If I wanted to fly with a lap child, would I just book my own reward seat with the partner airline and then call EVA(?) to add the child?

Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Official Rules are here: http://www.evaair.com/en-us/book-and...al-assistance/

Traveling With an Infant or Small Child

When traveling, infants and small children under 2 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.

Within the first 7 days after birth, a baby is not considered strong enough for air travel and will not be accepted as a passenger on an EVA flight.

EVA requires that a Medical Information sheet (MEDIF) certifying readiness for air travel be provided for premature babies.

For safety reasons, whenever two infants or small children are traveling with one adult, one must be able to sit in a seat using an approved car-type infant seat.

According to CAA regulations, an aircraft shall be equipped with a seat for each person who is over two years of age.

Beginning Nov. 1, 2004, infants who reach their second birthday while traveling on an EVA Air flight must, in accordance with safety regulations, begin to occupy their own seat. The applicable child's fare must be paid for all sectors flown after the child reaches two years of age.

If you would like to order a baby meal and/or diapers, please contact our reservations office at the time you make your booking. We will do everything possible to assist you.

Baby bassinets are available aboard all EVA Air aircraft, but for safety reasons, height and weight limitations apply. Please advise us of your baby’s date of birth, height and weight when you make your reservation.

*** The Chinese Version also says: (目前本公司皇璽桂冠艙未提供嬰兒搖籃且不可以使用兒童安全帶或兒童安全座椅).

Translated: Baby bassinets are not available in Royal Laurel Class and baby safety seats or baby seatbelts cannot be used in Royal Laurel Class at this time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.