safest airline within Indonesia / fly at all?

Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:48 pm

Programs: GA Gold, BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Bitterroot
Interesting thread.

Anyone have any experience with Trigana?
I have used them last January from Denpasar to Mataram using their ATR42. Had about 30 minutes delay but it's still bearable. Their crew was fantastic, and service was okay too. You can PM me for more info.
Old May 3, 2008, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Grace B
Yes, but it's really not terribly relevant. It doesn't detract from how bad Indonesian airlines really are. And Garuda is supposed to be the best of them.

And Jogja isn't that far from Surabaya. I had the right end of Java in mind when I posted that one.
It is relevant where it happened. Especially, if you want to give such strong advice as "not to fly any Indonesian airline," you should at least provide the facts accurately.

Most people in Indonesia and others who know Indonesia geography will disagree with you if you say "Jogja isn't that far from Surabaya."

Last edited by FlyerInCmh; May 3, 2008 at 3:24 pm
Old May 4, 2008, 2:05 pm

Merpati have leased two or three 737-300s and -400s recently, presumably to upgrade the fleet -- anyone know where they're assigned?

Boeing also just completed a forensic review of Garuda's maintenance group -- I think they passed, with some recommendations for improvements.

Bottom line: Indo airlines seem to be getting the message from the Adam Air shutdown. I think they're getting better.

Other comments, or insights?
Old May 19, 2008, 3:52 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
I'd agree Garuda, despite last years little incident...

To call last year's Garuda crash at JOG a "little incident" is pretty euphemistic, isn't it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YkdkXoIddM

One might consider Garuda the best of the worst but that doesn't make things any better. The accident investigation report of beforementioned crash even makes me shiver in disbelief when a flight crew lacks such basic flying skills and decisiveness as not going around when the situation clearly asks for it and chooses to park its bird crippled in the greens instead...

http://www.dephub.go.id/knkt/ntsc_av...%20Release.pdf

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.