Community
Wiki Posts
Search

safest airline within Indonesia / fly at all?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:43 pm

I've had some hesitation the past couple of trips to use Lion, because of the extremely heavy schedule they were running. The planes (and for that matter the flight attendents) who looked new and fresh the first year of operation took and an appearance of overuse very quickly.
I've been very comfortable with Garuda-- had no problems with Merpati, and haven't hesited to fly one of the LCCs where it was convenient
Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:46 pm

I've flown Garuda, Lion, Indonesia AirAsia, and Mandala. Garuda was the best, Lion was not too bad (I was on their MDs, 737-400s, and 737-900ERs), Indonesia AirAsia's and Mandala's planes were a bit old and worn, but the flights were just fine.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 3:57 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Adam is just about grounded as we speak - the rest are fine.

Flown on Adam/Batavia/Expressair/Garuda/Indonesia Air Asia/Lion/Mandala/Merpati/Sriwijaya/Wings. Garuda is consistent and boring, the rest are always interesting experiences.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
I've flown with a host of the airlines within Indonesia as well - as others have said, Garuda is the best choice overall, and others can be interesting to various degrees .

But as also mentioned by others, given the way people drive in Indonesia and even the seeming regularity of train derailments as well, flying's still much safer than your other options within Indonesia for getting around.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 7:24 am

Agreed with most comments above -- Indonesian airlines may be dodgy, but they're far less dodgy than any of the alternatives...

A collection of my trip reports for Adam Air, Garuda, Indonesia Air Asia, Lion Air and Wings Air:
Fly is Cheap: Low-Cost Adventures in Indonesia
Old Mar 18, 2008, 7:29 am

Programs: GA Gold, BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LH747FTL
Adam is just about grounded as we speak - the rest are fine.
Well, Adam has just been grounded by the government. So don't have to think anymore about them.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 7:39 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Our company standing instructions for Indonesia are not to use domestic airlines when possible. Sometimes it is not possible to avoid them. We would never have used Adam Air. I saw the 737 before the tail dropped off and could tell that there were serious structural problems with the aircraft months beforehand. However, nobody in Indonesia listens to us. We are only aircraft accident investigators so what the hell do we know about aircraft anyway?

The recent Garuda 737 overrun was the best of the worst of Indonesian flying. I have seen it in most of the crashes in Indonesia.

However, when considering the requirement to be in Indonesia and the dangers of ground transport there, flying is relatively safe as an option. As ever, worry about when you on other forms of transport and know where the exits are!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by spotwelder
However, when considering the requirement to be in Indonesia and the dangers of ground transport there, flying is relatively safe as an option. As ever, worry about when you on other forms of transport and know where the exits are!
It might not be enough to know where the exits are -- here's a video taken inside the Adam Air plane that overran and busted its landing gear in Batam last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YK136amZYI

Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:00 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Originally Posted by jpatokal
It might not be enough to know where the exits are -- here's a video taken inside the Adam Air plane that overran and busted its landing gear in Batam last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YK136amZYI

That's a B737-200 in the video, the one that overran in BTH was 737-400.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by LH747FTL
That's a B737-200 in the video, the one that overran in BTH was 737-400.
I'll take your word for it, but this means they've had multiple incidents where the cabin crew can't open/can't figure out how to open the doors?
Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by FlyerInCmh
Indonesia AirAsia's planes were a bit old and worn, but the flights were just fine.
same goes with all other Air Asia's planes, I think. I was on one of them from Kuala Lumpur to Langkawi and I swear I could smell the toilet from my seat which was in front of the FA's front jumpseat.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 3:19 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by SeaMeFly
same goes with all other Air Asia's planes, I think. I was on one of them from Kuala Lumpur to Langkawi and I swear I could smell the toilet from my seat which was in front of the FA's front jumpseat.
Indonesia AirAsia is still flying older 737-400's exclusively but Malaysian AirAsia has brand new,factory fresh A320's for at least some of the flights KUL-SUB and KUL-CGK as well as some of their other international destinations. The plan is to completely phase out the 737's and replace then with brand new A320's.

Boarding AirAsia flights in Indonesia may carry some risk of being trampled to death but I believe they maintain good maintenance practices and properly train their pilots.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 6:55 pm

Programs: GA Gold, BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
Indonesia AirAsia is still flying older 737-400's exclusively but Malaysian AirAsia has brand new,factory fresh A320's for at least some of the flights KUL-SUB and KUL-CGK as well as some of their other international destinations. The plan is to completely phase out the 737's and replace then with brand new A320's.
Indonesia AirAsia fly the 737-300 not the -400, while Malaysia AirAsia now flying an all-Airbus fleet, all of their older 737-300 was given to Indonesia and Thai AirAsia.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Originally Posted by SeaMeFly
You sure its the toilet? One pax in a seat near you with bad gas can make your trip miserable enough ..
Old Mar 23, 2008, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by hserus
You sure its the toilet? One pax in a seat near you with bad gas can make your trip miserable enough ..
Or contraband durian!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.