Any experience flying Malaysian Airlines?

Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:38 am
tol

LAX to JUL in F

I'll be flying to KUL from LAX end of March. My choices boil down to China Airlines via Taipei...(I tried it to BKK las August and thought it was quite good in F) and Malaysia Airlines...A direct flight (with a technical stop?)

Any info regarding the chances of getting new vs old seats? Also is there a good arrival lounge in KUL as I may be waiting a few hours for a companion.

Thanx,
Tol
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tol
Any info regarding the chances of getting new vs old seats? Also is there a good arrival lounge in KUL as I may be waiting a few hours for a companion.
Based on the above posts, the chances of getting the old seat is at least 50%. The old F seat is not too bad actually though its not a flat bad (but almost flat when fully reclined and quite comfortable) ; the old C seat does not have a decent footrest, your feet will overhang the footrest unless you are under 5ft tall.

Lounge in KUL is quite good. Plenty of good food and drinks (they have also recently added a noodle bar). I have never showered there but the attendant seems to be handing out quite plush towels. I believe they also have a paid massage service.

I actually found the "technical stop" at TPE to be quite a pain. No lounge to use and you have to go through security again for LAX bound flights. I would rather be in transit for a few hours with a lounge to use. The 1 hr + stop appears to last forever with no proper place to rest, and if your flight arrives early at TPE the stopover can be as long as 2 hrs.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by mario33
Based on the above posts, the chances of getting the old seat is at least 50%.
I don't believe it's that high. MH only have 2 out of 17 B744 that has yet to be refurbished. Plus, since late last year, I have not personally seen a non-NSD aircraft at LAX.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nov11
I don't believe it's that high. MH only have 2 out of 17 B744 that has yet to be refurbished. Plus, since late last year, I have not personally seen a non-NSD aircraft at LAX.
Perhaps you have been lucky

When I last travelled that sector, it was supposed to be still 100% non-NSD and the lounge matron was very surprised when she checked and saw the NSD aircraft for my outbound flight.

The question is whether the 2 non-NSD 747 are almost exclusively used for the LAX sector since this sector is not high on their priority. If they are and lets say a total of 4 nos 747 are being used for this sector, then you have a probablity of 50%. OK, the laws of probability doesnt usually work on MH
Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
In May/June, I flew Malaysian Airlines from LAX-KUL (via Taipei, I think) in first class and then KUL-SYD and flew Qantas SYD-LAX also in first class. Two of the MH flights had flat seats and one had older seats but my colleague and I both slept better, surprisingly, on the older seats.

Service was generally exceptional on the MH flights. We had young female FA's as primary and males sometimes helping. I like to drink sparkling water and whenever my glass was close to empty, it was refilled. When we changed planes in Taipei, the new FA asked if I wanted the usual sparkling water. The first FA was cute and cheery but a little too talkative. The next ones were great. The food was very good as well. No complaints at all.

I recently flew roundtrip BOS-LAX-SYD on Qantas, also in first class. Like the previous QF flight, service was excellent. Food was very good. FA's were less cheery, typically older, but more professional, I would say. I hope the high quality and reliability don't decline when the airline is purchased by private equity funds.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by mario33
Perhaps you have been lucky

When I last travelled that sector, it was supposed to be still 100% non-NSD and the lounge matron was very surprised when she checked and saw the NSD aircraft for my outbound flight.

The question is whether the 2 non-NSD 747 are almost exclusively used for the LAX sector since this sector is not high on their priority. If they are and lets say a total of 4 nos 747 are being used for this sector, then you have a probablity of 50%. OK, the laws of probability doesnt usually work on MH

I would tend to believe that MH is using the non-NSD 744's exclusively on this route too. Does anyone know when these aircraft are scheduled for refurbishment? I was planning a trip later in the year with MH, but I don't like my chances for the NSD aircraft.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 5:32 pm

MH In Y

Hello!

Does anyone (there maybe already a thread on this) know what sort of changes have been made during the retrofit in Coach Class?

Regards,

Emil
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:28 am

Programs: LH Senator (*G), VS Gold, SQ PPS Club, Hilton VIP Gold
Thumbs down

Was on a recent MH flight from SIN to KUL. The a/c was A330. The seats were bad even when upright. It seemed that i was sitting in a hole. The service was nothing to talk about. The FA were in a hurry and were not even waiting to listen to your requests. The appearance of the FA's also was shocking. In contrast, my return on SQ was totally a pleasant experience.

Is MH going to be shut down? The attitude of nearly everyone related to MH is terrible. And i couldnt believe that MH doesnt have e-tickets on most sectors where they operate. I had to take the trouble to go to their office to get the ticket issued.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:08 am

Programs: qantas, malaysia,starwoon,hilton
I have flown business longhaul MH twice recently.Service on all sectors was great.
As our home airline QAN has a pretty good reputation and daughter recently travelled BNE/NYC without complaint in economy If you are travelling business then price would be a major consideration.
Personally I would fly direct to the US if travelling economy and not even consider MH. You may pay a little more on QAN but the time saving far outweighs the dollars spent.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:15 am

Programs: qantas, malaysia,starwoon,hilton
If you are travelling economy it is really not worth the effort to travel
MH and waste so much time to save a few dollars .
The QAN service in economy is good to very good whereas MH is top notch in business class.
QAN pricing on the US route is OUTRAGEOUS and if you had to fly business I would definately go via Malaysia.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:34 am

Flew MH LHR-KUL-AKL vv. in Economy in late 2005.
The flight experience was superior to the likes of BA/QF/KL.
The generous 34" seat pitch, AVOD, good food and excellent cabin crew really make a difference.
Would fly Malaysian again on trips from Europe to Australia/NZ.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by raghav
Was on a recent MH flight from SIN to KUL. The a/c was A330. ... The service was nothing to talk about. The FA were in a hurry and were not even waiting to listen to your requests.
It's a 35-min flight and you're complaining about the service? If they weren't in a hurry, you'd be served your little cup of OJ after touchdown!
Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:09 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Originally Posted by jpatokal
It's a 35-min flight and you're complaining about the service? If they weren't in a hurry, you'd be served your little cup of OJ after touchdown!
Well - contrast MH on SIN-KUL with (for example) 9W on MAA-BLR. The quality of service on 9W is definitely a cut above what MH provides, though it must be said that 9W uses a 737, while MH manages to almost pack a 330 on the SIN-KUL run.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:19 am

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
Refurb completed for 744?

Any updates as to whether those 2 unrefurb'd 744s have been updated or not?

I'm flying LAX-KUL on 29 June and back on 7 July and am curious.

Also, would anyone tell me, where do you end up sitting during the technical stop in Taipei, and do they just have everyone in one room or...?

Hey, for the price difference, I can handle the stop!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:04 pm
Suspended

You go to the common departure area, and then back down to the secured waiting room. No lounge.

I believe most if not all the 747 have been refurbished.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.