Community
Wiki Posts
Search

first time in EVA delux...what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2005, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NON ELITE
first time in EVA delux...what to expect?

This will be my first time in EVA delux class from SFO to TPE (so it's a 747).
What can I expect? better seat? better food? in-flight entertainment? or is everything just about the same as Economy?
Old Dec 8, 2005, 4:17 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
In a nutshell, more space. 2-4-2 instead of 3-4-3. 38" pitch instead of 34" (or less with some airlines). You can also pre-book a specific seat - check out the seat maps (I think these are on the Eva site) and ring the Eva office to pre-book the seat you want. Even if you don't pre-book, you're less likely to be stuck with a middle seat and the overhead lockers have just that little more space for carry-on as they are shared by fewer seats. (Although the carry-on allowance is still the same.) All-in-all a more civilised experience.

Apart from seat space and pre-booking a particular seat, the service is pretty much as for economy - a little less hurried perhaps. In-flight entertainment is old-fashioned - a choice of channels but no VOD or games.

I like the deluxe class - especially the configuration with the seats in the nose cone. Make sure you join the EVA's "Evergreen Club" and get any credit you are due (+25% for deluxe). If you get to gold, you can pre-book some of the "blocked" seats - in some configurations there are some rather nice ones with nothing in front. Enjoy it while you can - on London routes its been replaced by "Elite" which is an inferior product in my view.

Last edited by jimbo99; Dec 8, 2005 at 4:20 pm
Old Dec 8, 2005, 10:38 pm

Programs: AC/BR/CX
Originally Posted by jimbo99
Enjoy it while you can - on London routes its been replaced by "Elite" which is an inferior product in my view.
Agree with you 100%!!
B777-300ER is going to be on Vancouver route from June 02, 2006. No more comfortable Evergreen Deluxe class cabin setting
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
You can reserve your seat via the eva site. You just need your confirmation number. It's an odd process: you can select only once via web. If you change your mind you must call.

Like was said, it's a better experience than economy. Avoid bulkhead seats by the exit doors. The door mechanism will take away most of your legroom.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
for same money you can get business class with China Airlines
Old Dec 9, 2005, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
though that might be true on some routes, i think we have already previously established on another thread that that is not true for US to TPE. As far as I know, no one has been able to find D class tickets for US to TPE on CI and CI agents maintain that D class tickets are not available for sale for flights originating in the US. So unless you know something new, Eva's deluxe is significantly cheaper than CI's C. even with 2 for 1 Amex deal in CI business, we are paying $700 more per person than when we flew Eva in economy deluxe. cheapest C ticket on CI via discount travel agents would have been double deluxe prices.

if someone knows how to get CI business tickets for less than deluxe, please share as I'm sure many will want to know how!!!
Old Dec 9, 2005, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC MM
As mentioned by DFW 1972 that is not true for flights out of North America.
Their website doesn't even allow booking any business or first fares out of YVR.
You can however buy lowest economy fare for example YVR-TPE-MNL for about CAN $ 1,100.00, call their office and for $ 500.00 each way they can upgrade to business for the YVR-TPE sector, if available.
I don't know how loads and availbility are.
This is a promotion they have going to compete with China Eastern's $ 2,000.00 business class fares out of YVR to China and beyond.

EVA Air's ED class to Manila is usually around CAN $ 1,200.00 including taxes.
Best option still is EVA out of YVR and probably out of other North American cities too in ED Class.
Another option that has been discussed a lot already is buying one way to Asia and then come back from BKK on a Business Class ticket issued by Asiana from BKK via ICN to YVR for CAN $ 900.00 one way.
Airlines used are Thai and Air Canada.

Last edited by yvrcnx; Dec 9, 2005 at 2:21 pm
Old Dec 10, 2005, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The meal service in ED is upgraded also. Served in a plastic tray but real china. I think the food is somewhat better than Y. Hagen Daaz ice cream out of TPE.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 4:36 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
whats the general opinion of the new deluxe class as I think on the TPE VIE route they only have two class now and it was rumoured they would go down this road for the future
Old Dec 11, 2005, 9:14 am

I've long since given up buying EVA deluxe tickets in London where tickets to TPE (and beyond) seem to be particularly expensive. After living in both Saigon and Taiwan I switched to buying them in these locations, especially Saigon. There are often specials in Saigon for people travelling to he US so maybe the same applies for US travellers.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 9:45 am

whats the general opinion of the new deluxe class as I think on the TPE VIE route they only have two class now and it was rumoured they would go down this road for the future
I wrote a report on my first elite experience a while back so will just summarise here - it looks like death by a 1000 cuts to me. Perhaps they'll configure their latest acquisition of 777s to provide more elite. This is my general opinion on elite (777 on LHR route):

1) Seat:
a) At 38", the pitch is the same as deluxe but now elbows knock as the seats are narrower (or at least the armrests are). Still better than economy though.
b) VOD (unlike deluxe). Laptop power. (Didn't work with my laptop - maybe not enough current.) No other significant change.

2) Cabin:
a) Much smaller than deluxe. Two short aisles curtained off at both ends - cannot circulate without going into economy or premium laurel. No diversity of toilet usage. Has a "minibus" feel about it.
b) Lack of seats: Actually difficult to get availability - even with gold card priority wait listing. This is a real issue - take care if you are travel on open tickets or like to change reservations just a few days ahead of your flight.
c) No "special" seats - exit or otherwise - where there is nothing immediately in front of you. On the old deluxe, gold with advanced seat reservation pretty much guaranteed you one of these. I particularly liked the aisle seats opposite the jump seats.

A real disappointment. The only saving grace is that with a gold card and more business class seats perhaps upgrades at check-in are more likely.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 4:01 pm

Programs: Starwood Hotels, Alaska Air, Delta/Northwest Air
My wife & I will be traveling to Vietnam around April to adopt our new baby daughter. We will be starting off in Phoenix. My question before we reserve:

Our options are to fly to SFO or LAX and catch a flight to SGN (through Taipei). We are looking at booking Evergreen Deluxe or Elite and wanted to know if there's any noticeable difference between a 747 or 777. I assume flying from SFO or LAX won't make much difference, but I imagine the airplane would. Any flight time savings from SFO would be nullified by a longer flight PHX-SFO.

Thanks for any opinions on this! We're hoping to get the first row on the way back so we have a bassinet (sp?) for the baby.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by PHXMike
My wife & I will be traveling to Vietnam around April to adopt our new baby daughter. We will be starting off in Phoenix. My question before we reserve:

Our options are to fly to SFO or LAX and catch a flight to SGN (through Taipei). We are looking at booking Evergreen Deluxe or Elite and wanted to know if there's any noticeable difference between a 747 or 777. I assume flying from SFO or LAX won't make much difference, but I imagine the airplane would. Any flight time savings from SFO would be nullified by a longer flight PHX-SFO.

Thanks for any opinions on this! We're hoping to get the first row on the way back so we have a bassinet (sp?) for the baby.
Congratulations! That is so exciting! What a wonderful trip you'll be making. Currently LAX-TPE is the only 777 service - SFO is currently not offering that. The only advantage I see to elite over deluxe (I've not flown elite, but did see it on my last trip in PL) is the VOD and empower in the seat. I think the seats on the 747 are better by this boards standards. Also, book early - April is a very busy travel month through Taipei.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 5:09 pm

Congratulations on the adoption, hope the trip goes well. One thought that springs to mind - a while back I stayed in a hotel in Saigon where for some reason there seemed to be a number of US couples adopting. I have zero knowledge of these procedures, but I remember they sometimes had to extend trips. So if nothing else it might be worth ensuring that you have a flexible ticket just in case.

Frankly I favour the deluxe experience (on the 747s) over the elite experience (on the 777s). If you search by my name you'll see my various rants about elite including my summary above which I still stand by. I flew the 747s in deluxe for several years before the 777s were introduced on the London route. I still use the 747s on TPE/SGN. Either way you should be able to get a basinet - generally seats can be pre-assigned in deluxe/elite. Generally there don't seem to be "enough" babies to fill basinet positions, so you should be OK. You will have to check specific dates on specific routes to check which aircraft you would get.

I suppose on your inbound journey you will have your own "in flight entertainment" - but the pros for elite are VOD and laptop power (you need a centrino or equivalent low power laptop) and the pros for deluxe are slightly wider seats and a bigger cabin with better circulation.

For Taipei/Saigon, BR391/2 has deluxe and is a 747. Their other flight is BR395/6 on which there is no deluxe and is now some days operated by VN carrier Pacific Airlines. BR391/2 connects well with US flights both ways. Indeed a large proportion of the PAX seem to be Americans connecting via Taiwan or Vietnamese visiting the US.

In conclusion, both are better than economy and I would go for the dates/routings that suit you rather than worry too much about elite/deluxe. All things being equal, I would go for deluxe, especially on the way back when you might appreciate the larger cabins with better circulation and toilets - plus perhaps a better chance of getting a seat if you have to change your flight at short notice.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 5:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by jimbo99
..... Make sure you join the EVA's "Evergreen Club" and get any credit you are due (+25% for deluxe)......
You can alternatively put the miles on Continental - they count as EQMs; more useful if you don't plan on flying EVA very often...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.