Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I suspect that very little debris will ever be found washed up anywhere, so the location of this piece really doesn't narrow down the crash site much.

The fact that nothing was found in south Australia or Tasmania really means nothing. The lack of evidence is not evidence.
I broadly agree with that. Just exploring things as they cross my mind...

I wonder if anything was found on shorelines from the French Airbus that crashed in the Atlantic. If debris reached shore somewhere it would give a hint as to how much flotsam leaves an aircraft that is presumably intact until sea level.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:42 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I wonder if anything was found on shorelines from the French Airbus that crashed in the Atlantic. If debris reached shore somewhere it would give a hint as to how much flotsam leaves an aircraft that is presumably intact until sea level.
In that case the debris was retrieved at sea in the days after the crash. Small items may have been overlooked, but they they would also have been hard to identify months later as have come from AF 447.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:01 am

"Members of the same clean-up association found a piece of torn luggage on Thursday, and on Friday discovered a detergent bottle with Indonesian markings and a bottle of Chinese-branded mineral water"
http://news.yahoo.com/australia-incr...031717894.html
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by jk88usa
Agreed it does that...but honestly besides the 5% of people who've believed that all along...it doesn't do much. It will bring some, albeit tragic, closure to the families, but there's still a lot to be had until they find the entire plane/cause itself.

And, while satellite data did suggest the Indian Ocean now everybody is going to question just how accurate it was on where it went down...
While I don't believe in the conspiracy theory with this plane, one could always kidnap the plane, remove a flaperon, and dump it as false evidence.

(Of course one would then need to find a replacement flaperon, but seeing how all kinds of illegal objects can be obtained a flaperon should no make a huge obstacle)
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
In that case the debris was retrieved at sea in the days after the crash. Small items may have been overlooked, but they they would also have been hard to identify months later as have come from AF 447.
Any idea how much was collected? I'm trying to gauge how much might be in the ocean from MH370. If there are a large number of items that are distinguishable from boat passenger jetsam then a reasonable number might come ashore. If there were only a few it will be far 'luckier' as and when they turn up .
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Doitsu
While I don't believe in the conspiracy theory with this plane, one could always kidnap the plane, remove a flaperon, and dump it as false evidence.
How do you ensure the "false evidence" stays at sea long enough to collect all those barnacles?

Methinks you've been watching waaaay too much TV.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, HHonors Diamond,
My WSJ news feed just popped up saying they also found an airplane door but I couldn't find an article/info anywhere. Anybody see that?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: SQ, GA, AA
My WSJ news feed just popped up saying they also found an airplane door but I couldn't find an article/info anywhere. Anybody see that?
This one:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/airplane...and-1438507358
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AA4013
I hate WSJ links....one of those that makes you subscribe ( and pay!) to read their articles.

Last edited by david55; Aug 2, 2015 at 8:07 am
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The newly fund object said to possibly be from a door can be seen here:

The picture was found on this page: https://twitter.com/a_forestier/stat...575168/photo/1
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The picture was found on this page: https://twitter.com/a_forestier/stat...575168/photo/1
Following links back from there leads to close up of markings on metal that have been referred to. Click right image to show :

https://twitter.com/Lustucrew/status...588736/photo/1

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Aug 2, 2015 at 8:05 am
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:06 am

With so much debris popping up in/around Reunion, and it's likely they'll find much more...they really need to narrow the search area based on simulations.

Right now there are highly isolated tracks/paths that allow debris to reach Reunion but if more and more keeps popping up would it be unreasonable to sort of carve out a more likely origin area, probably further west? Especially if they continue to find nothing in the presumed search area.

Just my two cents....because so far this is the only place it's washing up, and it was predicted to be one of the last places any few fragments would
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Not from MH370

They are reporting it is a generic ladder.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...lity/31014241/
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:13 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Does this give any credence to the possibility the Madivians really did see the plane fly by?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
Originally Posted by jk88usa
With so much debris popping up in/around Reunion, and it's likely they'll find much more...they really need to narrow the search area based on simulations.

Right now there are highly isolated tracks/paths that allow debris to reach Reunion but if more and more keeps popping up would it be unreasonable to sort of carve out a more likely origin area, probably further west? Especially if they continue to find nothing in the presumed search area.

Just my two cents....because so far this is the only place it's washing up, and it was predicted to be one of the last places any few fragments would
While I don't necessarily disagree, I wouldn't be too reliant on the reverse drift modelling from debris found in one location - didn't the initial modelling they did on the AF447 debris (found just 5 days after the aircraft was lost) have them searching in the wrong location initially?

What they really need is a few more points of reference. Though anything that can help them find answers for the families of those aboard is a good thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.