Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:22 pm

Guy on FlightAware says he's matched the number/letters they found that the authorities read out to a maintenance manual for the 777....which means IF that's true then this is a huge lead

Does anybody know the number they read off, I saw it somewhere or maybe heard it on TV, but I can't remember where and I'm just trying to "fact check" if that's true...I wanna say it was "BB###" but I honestly can't definitively say...sorry for asking if I'm wrong

EDIT: Found it #BB670...
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by jk88usa
OK....BB670 checks out to a part number on the rear right aileron of the Boeing 777 maintenance guide....Wing Trailing Edge Flap Part...big lead for sure

Maintenance/Part Guide:
http://en.calameo.com/read/0003162864c5d46c7d25f
Look on Page 222 (of the actual guide)
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:30 pm

Guy on FlightAware says he's matched the number/letters they found that the authorities read out to a maintenance manual for the 777....which means IF that's true then this is a huge lead

Does anybody know the number they read off, I saw it somewhere or maybe heard it on TV, but I can't remember where and I'm just trying to "fact check" if that's true...I wanna say it was "BB###" but I honestly can't definitively say...sorry for asking if I'm wrong

BB670 does not appear in any portion of any part number in the 777 AIPC.

It's probably "FLAP ASSY-OUTBD TE"
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by pr0digy25
BB670 does not appear in any portion of any part number in the 777 AIPC.
Just look up 670 in the guide...I believe the BB might be the Boeing abbreviation
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:38 pm

Just look up 670 in the guide...I believe the BB might be the Boeing abbreviation
I did full index search of MyBoeingFleet it's not the P/N.

P/N is 113W3003-XXX - FLAP ASSY (where XXX depends on the revision number and flap position).
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by txflyer77
There have only been three B777 hull losses and the other two were on land. If the debris can be definitively identified as a part of a B777, chances are good it could be from MH370.
Do we know if any have been decommissioned and used for destructive testing purposes?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:40 pm

I did full index search of MyBoeingFleet it's not the P/N.

P/N is 113W3003-XXX - FLAP ASSY (where XXX depends on the revision number and flap position).
Ok...possible...but I'm looking at a PDF version of the maintenance/part guide on the internet...and 670 is in there as a Right Flap part
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:41 pm

Ok...possible...but I'm looking at a PDF version of the maintenance/part guide on the internet...and 670 is in there as a Right Flap part
Trust me those numbers are not Boeing P/Ns in the link you referenced, they are access panel references.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:43 pm

Trust me those numbers are not Boeing P/Ns in the link you referenced.
Could they just be "quick identifiers?" used by Boeing....I'm not saying I'm right I may have entirely gotten ahead of myself but the guide seems a bit too sophisticated to be a fake...220 pages of numbers....I'll try to find an official version

EDIT: Ok...access panel references it is...I still have a hunch that's linked
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:47 pm

MyBoeingFleet access is about as official as it will get. Paid access is about $80K a year from Boeing.

Those are access panel references (literally hundreds of them on airframes).
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
OK....BB670 checks out to a part number on the rear right aileron of the Boeing 777 maintenance guide....Wing Trailing Edge Flap Part...big lead for sure

Maintenance/Part Guide:
http://en.calameo.com/read/0003162864c5d46c7d25f
Look on Page 222 (of the actual guide)
Um, I don't see it at all, and even if it were there, the nomenclature would be 670BB, NOT BB670.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:49 pm

MyBoeingFleet access is about as official as it will get. Paid access is about $80K a year from Boeing.

Those are access panel references (literally hundreds of them on airframes).
Thanks for clarifying...sorry to get so rushed. Do they print those on parts b/c why else would the authorities come out with that number?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Um, I don't see it at all, and even if it were there, the nomenclature would be 670BB, NOT BB670.
It's there... just search "220" in the search query in the link and then click the last result that shows up (scroll down to the bottom)....

Also BB670 was reported by the local french newspaper and then the UK ones so it's possible it was 670BB and they just mixed it up?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by txflyer77
There have only been three B777 hull losses and the other two were on land. If the debris can be definitively identified as a part of a B777, chances are good it could be from MH370.
Wikipedia lists 5, but the others all on land, so your point would still hold. There should be at most 2 777 wings floating in the world's oceans, both from MH370.

2008 BA @ LHR
2011 EgyptAir @ CAI
2013 Asiana @ SFO
2014 MH 370
2014 MH Ukraine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing..._and_accidents
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:52 pm

Thanks for clarifying...sorry to get so rushed. Do they print those on parts b/c why else would the authorities come out with that number?
NOT ME, but some other guy on Airliners.net posted this:

I work for an aftermarket parts supplier who tears down all aircraft including B777's. I happen to work on the B777 product line.

Here are some pictures of a B777-200ER left hand Flaperon. This unit has been repaired. It is from a similar production line number as MH370.

PN 113W6100-9. I also have the right hand side flaperon, the -10

NOTE: The part number/ serial numbers ARE NOT ETCHED/STAMPED on the control surfaces. There is a DATA PLATE which is sometimes riveted, but often times, pressed on. This occurs after the unit has gone to a shop that updates the part number after adding an Service Bulletin and the shop simply "glues" the new data plate on.
It is very common for these data plates to fall

I cannot tell for certain if the part found is a B777, B747-200, or any other aircraft. Searching for a picture of a B747-200 flaperon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.