Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:45 am

Two Alternatives

If according to my previous post the radar image from the Straits of Malacca is based on a hoax and MH370 never flew west, then one has to give serious consideration whether MH370 flew south from where the oil rig worker Mike McKay saw an aircraft on fire briefly.

Such a fire implies depressurisation since a naked flame could not exist outside at 35,000ft but could exist inside the cabin until pressures have equalised. Then any escaping flames would self extinguish.

I have charted two alternative courses intercepting the southern Arc. the red line is the course as currently projected to a new area to be searched in September.

The yellow route describes a 5.5 hour flight south from the VOR beacon at Con Son island off Vietnam crossing overhead Singapore at 35,000ft and 471kt. It assumes a turn overhead con Son island about 17:49 UTC.

The cockpit fire scenario infers the yellow path. The claim MH370 flew through the Straits of Malacca infers the red path.

I place both scenarios together on a chart with where they would intercept the Southern Arc for others to consider.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Chopstyx
Much more damning however is that the Burst Offset frequency chart shows a frequency increase as MH370 flew towards the Southern Arc, yet increased offset frequency asserts a flight towards the satellite, not away from it.
I thought there were two possible explantions for that (but haven't dug down to see where the consensus is on them - if you know please point to it):
  1. The BOF is a combination of the satellite orbit perturbation (since it is not truly geostationary) and the aircraft velocity. So the satellite could be moving towards the aircraft faster than the aircraft is moving away from it at the points you reference.
  2. The graph is for some reason inverting the offsets, and should be upside down.

Generally you raise some interesting points, so not trying to argue that you are wrong as such - just trying to bottom out a few things.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Originally Posted by Chopstyx
I am not familiar with the B777 autopilot. I gathered there was only an L-Nav choice between navigating between waypoints and magnetic headings?

I assume if there was an autopilot selection which allowed such a track then perhaps yes, but is that a track which also requires the input of a destination waypoint?

Is that an option available for any flight regime, or just FANS 1/A routes?
If the answer is FANS 1/A routes then it implies the input of a destination co-ordinate.

If you are correct then it still leaves unanswered the question how is such a Great Circle route reconciled with the BOF chart when it involves steady velocity away from INMARSAT after 19:41 UTC?

I have tried to find the relevant post, still looking.

As I remember it the autopilot can fly LNAV (preprogrammed route), Heading Select or Track Select. The heading/track reference can also be changed from magnetic to true (as done over the North Atlantic). So I would imagine a true track could be flown with no end point entered into the computer.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I thought there were two possible explantions for that (but haven't dug down to see where the consensus is on them - if you know please point to it):
  1. The BOF is a combination of the satellite orbit perturbation (since it is not truly geostationary) and the aircraft velocity. So the satellite could be moving towards the aircraft faster than the aircraft is moving away from it at the points you reference.
  2. The graph is for some reason inverting the offsets, and should be upside down.

Generally you raise some interesting points, so not trying to argue that you are wrong as such - just trying to bottom out a few things.
I do get it wrong sometimes but that is the only way to learn is to experiment with ideas. Also if we were fed a load of garbage at the start by parties lying in the official version then it is hard not to screw up and misinterpret.

As for the BOF chart issued by the Malaysian Government on 24 March, when it was first published I pointed out on a couple of web forums including Duncan Steel's that the data appeared inverted.

Since MH370 was plotted on SSR radar up to IGARI at 17:22 UTC flying northeast (away from INMARSAT) yet the BOF chart showed increased Doppler frequency from 17:07 UTC there was a paradox.

One could not have velocity westwards when radar was tracking MH370 flying east away from INMARSAT.

You can say anything with numbers but we are talking about the Doppler effect. The Doppler Effect is that as a target recedes the frequency drops. As a target advances it compresses the signal therefore the frequency increases.

Satellite engineer Mike Exner realised the same paradox in April and published his own alternate BOF chart, which incidentally matches the yellow alternate route from Vietnam quite well.

Exner observed that the signal after being sent from MH370 to INMARSAT was re-transmitted to Earth and in that process the offset data was being inverted. He recalculated the data values reversing that inversion and came out with this BOF chart. Personally I accept the Exner chart over the official one.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:25 pm

Great Circle on autopilot

Originally Posted by ACARS
I have tried to find the relevant post, still looking.

As I remember it the autopilot can fly LNAV (preprogrammed route), Heading Select or Track Select. The heading/track reference can also be changed from magnetic to true (as done over the North Atlantic). So I would imagine a true track could be flown with no end point entered into the computer.
It is simple logic that one can only fly a great Circle route if one has a start point and a finish point since one has to compute several calculations.

You can't just point MH370 south and say to the autopilot fly a Great Circle Route because if the autopilot could answer back it would have to say, okay but to where?

I imagine on a FANS 1/A aircraft for oceanic flights there might be such a function, but it would require a start and finish waypoint. I know of no waypoints between Cocos Islands and Australia which MH370 could have been commanded to calculate a great circle route for.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=-20.6821281...rt=304&zoom=10

I do know that if an autopilot reaches a waypoint with no further instructions it will just continue to fly the last magnetic heading.

It is far more logical that they were having electrical problems, loss of on-board navigation systems so continued past BITOD towards the VOR beacon at Con Son so they could fly the VOR radial back to Singapore for an emergency diversion.

Over Con Son I postulate they selected L-Nav to divert to Singapore, perhaps even inputted the code for Singapore itself intending a descent from 35,000ft, but then a blaze erupted and engulfed them?

Once MH370 flying depressurised and on autopilot reached Singapore it just kept flying the last heading (196 True?). It is worth noting too that magnetic variation would distort any magnetic track towards Australia no matter which heading MH370 was pointing at the start which could imply intercepting the southern arc higher along the Southern Arc than just a straight track flying 196 degrees True. The limiting factor would have to be the fuel endurance from Con Son island of 5.5 hours. approaching IGARI the airspeed was 473kt, then about IGARI it reduced to 471kt perhaps as a result of the turn?

Last edited by Chopstyx; Jul 26, 2014 at 5:55 pm Reason: added Skyvector link for Indian Ocean & comment on it
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:13 pm

Surat Thani radar in Thailand

I would add this too:

if the radar image for MH370 flying through the Straits of Malacca is a hoax image then the only other "evidence" for that alleged flight west is the claim MH370 was seen turning back from IGARI and flying west across Kota Bharu by primary radar at Surat Thani in Thailand.

When you study the radar horizon from Surat Thani you quickly realise that this claim must be a hoax too.

Once you realise that the information which so many calculations have been based on are merely hoaxes, it becomes less a question of investigating aviation matters and more one of considering a political cover-up.

That is not a question for this forum to concern itself with, except to the extent of whether the claimed flight track is reliable or not?

There are issues of political corruption within that country which the disappearance of MH370 co-incide with and these relate to the involvement of Prime Minister Najib Razak in a failed bid during 2011 to arrange a private buy out for Malaysian Airlines by Air Asia which the Malaysian Commerce Commission reversed declaring it illegal.

Prior to the annulment of that take over bid Malaysia's Prime Minister made political appointment of several managers from Air Asia to Malaysian Airlines.

One of those appointments was the CEO maintenance who was a person not sufficiently qualified to hold the position. In the wake of MH370's disappearance Malaysia's ruling party has blocked their Parliament discussing that appointment or MH370.

On 26 March 2014 there was an arson attack at the airline's No.4 Avionics Maintenance Hanger which destroyed maintenance files for 9M-MRO. Staff were threatened with instant dismissal and further legal consequences for even discussing the arson attack.

I do not understand Malaysian politics and that is not a topic which we are in a position to understand but there does appear to be a political dimension to this tragedy.

Last edited by Chopstyx; Jul 26, 2014 at 6:18 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Ł20K/Nearly $34K Withdrawn from Bank Accounts of MH370 Victims

On July 18th, 5 months after MH370 disappeared, a Malaysian bank noticed something unusual. Thousands of dollars were transferred from the accounts of 3 MH370 passengers into a 4th passenger's account and then withdrawn via several ATMs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ght-MH370.html

After an internal investigation, a bank officer was suspended. She and her husband were arrested by local police as the likely suspects behind the unauthorized account withdrawals. An unidentified Pakistani man is also suspected to somehow be connected.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-9670492.html

Stealing from the (likely) deceased? Disgraceful....
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by FTcadence
On July 18th, 5 months after MH370 disappeared, a Malaysian bank noticed something unusual. Thousands of dollars were transferred from the accounts of 3 MH370 passengers into a 4th passenger's account and then withdrawn via several ATMs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ght-MH370.html

After an internal investigation, a bank officer was suspended. She and her husband were arrested by local police as the likely suspects behind the unauthorized account withdrawals. An unidentified Pakistani man is also suspected to somehow be connected.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-9670492.html

Stealing from the (likely) deceased? Disgraceful....
I am surprised these monies were not disbursed to next of kin by now
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
In a new book titled Goodnight Malaysia 370, New Zealand-based commercial pilot and veteran air accident investigator, Ewan Wilson, places all of the blame for the missing jet on the allegedly mentally ill pilot...
claiming he locked his co-pilot out of the cockpit then performed a controlled ditch.

All 239 people on board likely slipped into a coma and died minutes after the pilot deliberately depressurised the cabin, the conspiracy theory claims.
http://www.9news.com.au/world/2014/0...ditching-plane

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/late...-author-claims

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...0-died-4073140
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by FTcadence
In a new book titled Goodnight Malaysia 370, New Zealand-based commercial pilot and veteran air accident investigator, Ewan Wilson, places all of the blame for the missing jet on the allegedly mentally ill pilot...
The lack of hard facts of flight MH370 gives plenty of room for speculative fiction.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DanielW
The lack of hard facts of flight MH370 gives plenty of room for speculative fiction.
Reminds me of the novel (and later film) Millennium:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_%28novel%29
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Emirates CEO Tim Clark questions investigations on flight MH370

Sir Tim Clark, 64, since 1985 stands at the head of Emirates airline based in Dubai, since 2003 President and CEO of the Group. In recognition of his services to the aviation industry, the Briton was recently knighted.

Interview in SPIEGEL ONLINE published Oct. 9th, 2014 (Der Spiegel is the leading German political magazin)

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/mh370...-a-996056.html

https://translate.google.de/translat...tml&edit-text=
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
We have a very interesting, level headed analysis here. http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/s...1-denis-thomas
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by chx1975
We have a very interesting, level headed analysis here. http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/s...1-denis-thomas
This involves such a huge number of assumptions that its likelihood of being the correct guess is vanishingly small.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
This involves such a huge number of assumptions that its likelihood of being the correct guess is vanishingly small.
In my opinion, saying that it "vanishingly small" rather than something far less likely is generous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.