Wiki Posts
Search

Are the mainland China big 3 airlines safe to fly

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Are the mainland China big 3 airlines safe to fly

Got a cheap deal from hkg to lax via pvg

not to mention the delay in pvg, are the big 3 carriers (MU, CA and CZ) safe to fly? Are their pilots experienced?

thanks guys
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Yes, safety is fine.

The main valid negative asserted is not about the airlines, but air congestion on the coast that can cause connection problems. Kind of like using the NYC airports.

I would use CX if the price was close, but if you are saving a good bit go with the other choice.

Note: If you are talking about flying between two cities I never heard of in China, then I would suspect the pilots would be much less experienced. Like flying on a regional here in the States. But on your route that would not be the case.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:50 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
CA has the highest - 7 star - safety rating. Not sure about other airlines - you can google it out.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:56 pm

CZ...yes, absolutely and completely!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by jclam1988
Got a cheap deal from hkg to lax via pvg

not to mention the delay in pvg, are the big 3 carriers (MU, CA and CZ) safe to fly? Are their pilots experienced?

thanks guys
Safe? Yes. Why wouldn't they be?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: AC MM
We flew CZ earlier this year and there is no reason to think that they are not safe. My understanding is that CZ and most likely the other Chinese carriers as well, have a very comprehensive training program, just like most airlines for their pilots.

We even saw a CZ training center for pilots in Perth this summer.

I would not hesitate to fly any of these 3 airlines you have listed.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:07 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I agree with everyone. They wouldn't quite be as big -and aggressively expanding- if they weren't safe.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:21 pm

The big 3 Chinese airlines are very safe, and among the safest airlines anywhere.

I've flown on all 3, and I would choose them over American airlines.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
They are all members of SkyTeam/Star Alliance. They are all approved to fly in the US. This means they meet safety standards. No need to worry.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:31 am

After flying 16 years with the Chinese airlines I consider them to be safe.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: AY, GA, SQ, IHG, SPG
Your biggest safety concern is getting an elbow from a fellow passenger when the plane lands and everyone rushes to get out (despite still being on a taxiway)
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Laowai
Your biggest safety concern is getting an elbow from a fellow passenger when the plane lands and everyone rushes to get out (despite still being on a taxiway)
Or worse. They stand up and open the overhead bin before the airplane touches down and you get hit on the head by someone's oversized and overweight item.

I would rank CZ > MU > Air China for both safety and especially customer service.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Or worse. They stand up and open the overhead bin before the airplane touches down and you get hit on the head by someone's oversized and overweight item.

I would rank CZ > MU > Air China for both safety and especially customer service.
They are all the same. Terrible recovery from irregular operations but otherwise better than the USA big 3 in terms of service. Some people prefer CA others prefer CZ and others prefer MU. Now I like MU because I like their free wifi on new planes and I'm based in Shanghai.

In terms of safety they are all exactly the same (extremely safe) the CAAC makes sure of that. You're rating them in terms of safety but what is this based upon? Your own person beliefs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.