CA experience (PEK to KUL)

Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN; CZ GOLD; CC Concierge; SPG PLAT
CA experience (PEK to KUL)

Just want to share my CA experience recently. I am a SEN from LH (when I flew in EU and western) and also a GOLD from CZ (when I flew in China) - so, not too much experience with CA before.

I did not expect too much since I booked just an H fare ticket:
- I was asking at PEK check-in the possibility to upgrade to business class with my LH voucher/points, the answer is no, I have to call LH; then I was asking if I could pay the extra, the check-in lay told me that she could not operate it and I should to go to the ticket counter, which has 50 meters queue down there... then I gave up
- I was asking if I can select an emergency exit seat, the answer is no again, only CA own FFP member can do it, any other *A G needs to pay extra. I was shocked, first time heard about it - anyone knows any other *A airlines also doing this??? Eventually the lady said she could give me a first row seat...
- The lounge was very sorry, can not compare with the CZ lounge in CAN or SZX.
- The air craft was a 330-300, there were another two PE rows in front of the first row in ECO, no bulk

In general, I was pretty sad about the CA PEK airport service, I guess I will keep using SkyTeam airlines in China later...
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I guess this was the first time flying CA? LOL

Their lounge is pretty poor, the First Class lounge is no better, pretty much the same offering and slightly less crowded.

Not giving exit row seats to other FFP members for free has become standard practice among many carriers now, unfortunately. I'm not defending CA here, but if you search around the forums, actually LH is one of the most notorious for various inconveniences to economy *G flyers however they do give us access to the Senator lounge rather than the Business lounge so it makes up for a lot.

Also, in Asia and Africa, the check in counters and even the transit counters are often very limited in what they can do beyond checking bags and printing boarding passes. Quite often it's exactly like you've said, they point you to the ticket counter, they just aren't empowered to do the same things like in North America and Europe.

Since you have CZ Gold, I agree, I'd stick to that for your China travels. While still not a great airline, they do have a better lounge and CAN is a heck of a lot easier for transit. PEK is nothing more than a test of patience all around.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:24 am
Original Poster

LOL, indeed, since I am based in Germany and travel mostly to south part of China/APAC.

Thnx for the comments. Based on my experience, ZH treats *A G better than CA. Last time I was in a ZH flight, the air attendant gave me newspaper, napkins, and of course knew my last name :P, nothing happened in this CA flight - maybe too many elite members?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:37 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by chudu17
- I was asking at PEK check-in the possibility to upgrade to business class with my LH voucher/points, the answer is no, I have to call LH; then I was asking if I could pay the extra, the check-in lay told me that she could not operate it and I should to go to the ticket counter, which has 50 meters queue down there... then I gave up
Do you think LH check-in agent would be able to upgrade you with CA voucher/points? They think they would say no.
Do you think LH check-in agent would be able to charge you extra for upgrade? I think they would send you to Call Center/ticket desk.

While CA will not win the world's best airline award, I think this complain is not a very realistic one.

- I was asking if I can select an emergency exit seat, the answer is no again, only CA own FFP member can do it, any other *A G needs to pay extra. I was shocked, first time heard about it - anyone knows any other *A airlines also doing this??? Eventually the lady said she could give me a first row seat...
This is correct. Free extra legroom/emergency seat is not a published *G benefit. oneWorld is the only alliance where all oneWorld elites are offered extra legroom/emergency exit on complimentary basis.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
Do you think LH check-in agent would be able to upgrade you with CA voucher/points? They think they would say no.
That might be fair, never tried since I am not CA or other *A member.

Originally Posted by TPJ
Do you think LH check-in agent would be able to charge you extra for upgrade? I think they would send you to Call Center/ticket desk.
Basically you can do almost everything at LH check-in/luggage drop-off, and of course you can also pay the upgrade fee at LH service desk.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:27 am
TPJ

Basically you can do almost everything at LH check-in/luggage drop-off, and of course you can also pay the upgrade fee at LH service desk.
Wow, I was not aware of this. Then my bad.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Well at the airport all seats are open to everyone, only prior to OLCI do you have to pay, maybe CA has a different policy.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by TPJ

This is correct. Free extra legroom/emergency seat is not a published *G benefit. oneWorld is the only alliance where all oneWorld elites are offered extra legroom/emergency exit on complimentary basis.
Not really. The official benefit is "preffered seating", but it's upto each member airline to interpret and decide what they want to offer.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:01 pm
TPJ

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Not really. The official benefit is "preffered seating", but it's upto each member airline to interpret and decide what they want to offer.
I have to respectfully disagree.

There is nothing about 'preferred seating' on the official *A web site:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-status

or in the PDF'ed version:

http://www.staralliance.com/document...3-777dc89f45c8
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by TPJ
I have to respectfully disagree.

There is nothing about 'preferred seating' on the official *A web site:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-status

or in the PDF'ed version:

http://www.staralliance.com/document...3-777dc89f45c8
Sorry for my post being slightly unclear... my comment about "preferred seating" was about the oneworld alliance, not *A.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.