Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Sri Lankan Interline Baggage Question with Separate Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum

I will be originating at CMB flying on UL to BKK and transiting at BKK to Chiang Mai. I have a choice of airlines for the BKK-CNX flight - Bangkok Airways (90 min connection) or Thai Smile (3 hour connection). I will have separate tickets because I can not seem to find an on line ticket that will sell a business class ticket on Sri Lankan combined with a premium economy ticket on Bangkok Airways or Thai Smile. So I plan to buy tickets on each airline's web site.

Will Sri Lankan check my bags through to CNX in this situation with either airline (Bangkok Airways or Thai Smile) with two separate tickets?

Also, according to Expert Flyer, Sri Lankan has interline agreement with Bangkok Airways and Thai Airlines (TG). But no interline agreement is mentioned for Thai Smile (WE). If I purchase the Thai Smile ticket with a TG flight number would the answer regarding interlining be different?

I prefer taking the Thai Smile flight to allow for a longer connection time (and these are the last two flights of the night to CNX).

Thank you for any helpful guidance you can provide!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by entrada
I will be originating at CMB flying on UL to BKK and transiting at BKK to Chiang Mai. I have a choice of airlines for the BKK-CNX flight - Bangkok Airways (90 min connection) or Thai Smile (3 hour connection). I will have separate tickets because I can not seem to find an on line ticket that will sell a business class ticket on Sri Lankan combined with a premium economy ticket on Bangkok Airways or Thai Smile. So I plan to buy tickets on each airline's web site.

Will Sri Lankan check my bags through to CNX in this situation with either airline (Bangkok Airways or Thai Smile) with two separate tickets?

Also, according to Expert Flyer, Sri Lankan has interline agreement with Bangkok Airways and Thai Airlines (TG). But no interline agreement is mentioned for Thai Smile (WE). If I purchase the Thai Smile ticket with a TG flight number would the answer regarding interlining be different?

I prefer taking the Thai Smile flight to allow for a longer connection time (and these are the last two flights of the night to CNX).

It isn't entirely applicable, but I'll share my recent experience.

On Monday did CNX-BKK on Thai (not Smile).

Connected on SriLankan for BKK-HKG.

Bought on the same ticket using an OTA. I avoided Bangkok Air due to not being in business and also I wanted to credit the miles to Singapore/Star Alliance.

Since the flights were bought together I think this helped me, but I still asked at every check-in point about my bag as it was recommended to me by the Thai staff. Just a gut feel that my bag may not have made the transfer in Bangkok had I not checked with SriLankan about getting my bag from Thai when I got to the gate.

Anyways, I would call Thai to ask if Smile counts for interlining but I suspect they will. Then just ask about your bag at each check-in/gate point.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by entrada

The problem is not the interlining.. and jiaogulan's situation is different because he is originating from CNX to BKK to HKG and Thai Smiles is the one that determines the thru check. OP is in the opposite situation AND he is coming in from an international flight and connecting to a DOMESTIC one.

If you have it as one ticket on one airline, eg TG, you are checked through and immigration is done in BKK, but customs handled in CNX. But since you are on separate tickets, I think you must collect your bags and go through immigration and customs in BKK and then recheck in again to connect to CNX. That is the normal procedure regarding two airlines on separate tickets.

Yes there are flights that connect thru on one ticket. You just need to book through either an OTA or physical TA and not through UL's website. There is no PE on Thai Smile or Bangkok Airways.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jun 21, 2017 at 11:41 am
Old Nov 2, 2022, 11:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
We will be flying from MLE to CMB on Sri Lankan and then connecting on Qatar to DOH and JFK. Will Sri Lankan check our bags through to JFK with two separate tickets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.