Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turbulence on Paris-China flight injures 26

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Post Turbulence on Paris-China flight injures 26

ouch......

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-40318846

"At least 26 people were injured, four seriously, when turbulence hit a China Eastern Airlines flight from Paris on Sunday, state media reports.
The turbulence struck as flight MU774 was on its way to Kunming, in the southern Yunnan province.

Passengers suffered broken bones, cuts to the scalp and soft tissue injuries, the Xinhua state news agency reported."
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
"Many people were injured, and among them, many had not buckled up."
If they were seated and didn't have their belts buckled they get no sympathy.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
If they were seated and didn't have their belts buckled they get no sympathy.
this seems rather mean...
i am sure all of us occasionally forget to fasten belts in flight - in particular in business/first where ppl tend to move around more
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
this seems rather mean...
i am sure all of us occasionally forget to fasten belts in flight - in particular in business/first where ppl tend to move around more
If they were told to fasten their seatbelts and they didn't, then it is nobody's fault except their own. Secondly, someone who ignores the fasten seatbelt alert has the potential to do injury to someone else sitting down.

No sympathy at all for anyone who disregards safety protocol.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Originally Posted by jah718
If they were told to fasten their seatbelts and they didn't, then it is nobody's fault except their own. Secondly, someone who ignores the fasten seatbelt alert has the potential to do injury to someone else sitting down.

No sympathy at all for anyone who disregards safety protocol.
My friend says the same thing about fat people with health problems. They ignored the warnings to live & eat healthy. I still think it's mean.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Paella747
My friend says the same thing about fat people with health problems. They ignored the warnings to live & eat healthy. I still think it's mean.
Completely different scenario in that a fat person does not have the potential to cause injury to others. In the case of a car crash, it is often the one person not wearing a seat belt that causes injuries to the ones who are. If someone chooses to become fat (as is their right), they are not causing harm to others.

If someone chooses not to fasten their seatbelt on a plane, they have the potential to cause serious harm to others, thus I have no sympathy for anyone who chooses to take liberties with other people's safety.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Completely different scenario in that a fat person does not have the potential to cause injury to others. If someone chooses to become fat (as is their right), they are not causing harm to others.
People sometimes have heart attacks and diabetic issues (which overweight people are more prone to) while driving, which lead to crashes and other people getting injured.

Not completely different, it's just where we rate on the sympathy scale.....
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
If they were told to fasten their seatbelts and they didn't, then it is nobody's fault except their own.
My college roomate used to say, "Presence Song Four." Though I agree in this scenario with the OP that it's rather harsh and unknown how many were in seats without seat belts vs being up and moving around.

mine
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
dupe post
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Paella747
People sometimes have heart attacks and diabetic issues (which overweight people are more prone to) while driving, which lead to crashes and other people getting injured.

Not completely different, it's just where we rate on the sympathy scale.....
Bit of a stretch

dsquared37 I know that the article didn't say how many people didn't have seatbelts, I was just pointing out that if they didn't have them on, they deserve no sympathy and shouldn't take liberties with other peoples safety.

One should never assume that other people care about what happens to them.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:43 am

Bit of a stretch

dsquared37 I know that the article didn't say how many people didn't have seatbelts, I was just pointing out that if they didn't have them on, they deserve no sympathy and shouldn't take liberties with other peoples safety.

One should never assume that other people care about what happens to them.
You will find that regulators do care and will blame it is the way it works and the insurance companies carry on.

There will be massive investigation into this with thousands of hours invested by the airline aircraft maker FAA and other bodies not to mention all the interested parties. So yes my friend people do care.

Last edited by ayeaway; Jun 26, 2017 at 9:55 am
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by ayeaway
You will find that regulators do care and will blame it is the way it works and the insurance companies carry on.

There will be massive investigation into this with thousands of hours invested by the airline aircraft maker FAA and other bodies not to mention all the interested parties. So yes my friend people do care.
You took my comment out of context. I was referring to the earlier post about showing sympathy to people who ignore instructions from the crew. Of course regulators and insurance companies care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.