Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Business Compare - China Eastern vs. China Southern vs Delta One

Business Compare - China Eastern vs. China Southern vs Delta One

Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exwannabe
PVG->BKK (which is a regional international in my book).

I assume they prioritize the long haul flights?
For incoming flights, long haul gets priority (because they don't want planes to run out of fuel while they fly in circles).

Outbound flights are generally treated equally by Shanghai ATC, but are subject to flow controls on their specific routes. In the case of SE Asia, the first ~1.5 hours of the flight use the same corridor as CAN/HKG/SZX/MFM/etc, which is among the busiest in China. Flights to Japan/Korea, by contrast, are generally okay from a flow control standpoint.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Thanks moondog.

So I can assume PVG->US is fairly safe.

But I should add a risk factor into my schedule for CAN->US?

EDIT: On another issue, a DL member should check the DL partner award table. China Eastern will often pay you twice as many MQMs as Southern when redeeming to a DL number. Not a trivial issue on these very long routes.

Last edited by exwannabe; Feb 22, 2017 at 9:24 pm
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
PVG->BKK (which is a regional international in my book).

I assume they prioritize the long haul flights?
That's what I wa afraid of. I have a few of those coming up. My last one, the other way, resulted in a weather diversion to Hongqiao. Horror show ensued. Having suffered once, now thinking a higher price for another carrier may be worth it to avoid weather and ATC issues at PVG. But DL treats MU as a Tier 1 partner, so tons of MQM's and RDM's on offer for flying with MU.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

But I should add a risk factor into my schedule for CAN->US?
CAN-US flights typically avoid the HK-SH corridor because they vector their way towards the ocean before heading towards Tokyo.

Furthermore, ground stops are less common in CAN than PVG, so I would say CAN is the safest bet if you're flying to SE Asia.

But a lot of people seem to contemplate backtracking via either to Japan or Korea. In such cases, Shanghai wins (if you must connect in China) because we're talking about ~4 hours less flying, which is significantly greater than Shanghai ground stops.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
... But DL treats MU as a Tier 1 partner, so tons of MQM's and RDM's on offer for flying with MU.
Also the DL MQDs on MU when on an MU ticket are huge. This normally does not matter to me as I carry a DL AMEX, but can in some cases.

I just recently have seen some very nice prices ex JFK pop up on the MU web site. Have not yet figured out the details as far as tacking on the ATL leg and fare basis. Do not see these on google flights (which I assume is now just a cosmetic wrapper on IATA Matrix).
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
You can't book transpac F using DL miles.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
You can't book transpac F using DL miles.
Yes, but if we are talking MU the F product does not look to be worth that much more than the C product anyway. The front C cabin is fairly nice with 2 rows of 1-2-1.

I would not pay more than about $100 O
W over C for F.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Also the DL MQDs on MU when on an MU ticket are huge. This normally does not matter to me as I carry a DL AMEX, but can in some cases.

I just recently have seen some very nice prices ex JFK pop up on the MU web site. Have not yet figured out the details as far as tacking on the ATL leg and fare basis. Do not see these on google flights (which I assume is now just a cosmetic wrapper on IATA Matrix).
I'm in the same boat. I just buy the ATL-JFK positioning tix separately.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
OP I would always suggest flying the foreign carrier even if prices weren't so far. But in your case it's an no brainer.

Since your DL plat I think you should give other airlines an chance so you can come back and talk about your experience. Whether it's good or bad.
Originally Posted by lolstebbo

If OP is fine with either spending a few hours in Taipei or flying out of NRT, though, CI would be a better option than MU or CZ.
Originally Posted by 355F1
Flew LAX-TPE one way on an award ticket in J last month using 80k Skymiles.

New 77W with a GORGEOUS CABIN--one of the nicest J cabins I have ever been in. Service was good, food was good.

I chose this flight to avoid transiting in china and will definitely try again if I need to route to Asia using Skymiles.
UPDATE:

Due to a schedule change with my return flight to HND, I was able to change to NRT w/o issue. Booked a positioning flight to TPE w/ Cathay and secured a 90k CI flight from TPE-LAX in Business... I couldn't be happier with the hard product. As mentioned above, the cabin is GORGEOUS. I flew Delta One earlier this year HND-MSP and this is just bigger/better/more. The space. I'm 6'2 and my feet were a bit cramped in DL_One, far from it here. Giant screen, decent wifi speeds, good meal, good drinks. Attentive FAs. The only thing, and I'm nitpicking here, is that I asked for another bottle of water and they offer to fill my glass as they don't have bottles to give out...
Love it.

Thank you all for the recs here. The TPE CI was the way to go. The only thing that I'm upset about was due to the big storm earlier, my flight into TPE was delayed and I didn't have enough time to check out the T1 CI Club as I've heard wonderful reviews on it. NEXT TIME!^^
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:13 pm

Were you able to find the transit counters in TPE okay?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by noah95
Thank you all for the recs here. The TPE CI was the way to go. The only thing that I'm upset about was due to the big storm earlier, my flight into TPE was delayed and I didn't have enough time to check out the T1 CI Club as I've heard wonderful reviews on it. NEXT TIME!^^
The T1 Club has now deteriorated cause CI wanted to save money and outsourced to other catering company. You didn't really miss anything other than the decoration.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Were you able to find the transit counters in TPE okay?
I took it slow, but yes, in the end found the transit counters. Such a much larger operation than TYO. Found someone who did the trip last week who gave some good pointers.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
The T1 Club has now deteriorated cause CI wanted to save money and outsourced to other catering company. You didn't really miss anything other than the decoration.
The T2 Club reminded me of the SkyClubs at ATL that are at the tips of the terminals - Long and skinny...Showers were decent and the sweet potatoes and buns were also good.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by noah95
UPDATE:

Due to a schedule change with my return flight to HND, I was able to change to NRT w/o issue. Booked a positioning flight to TPE w/ Cathay and secured a 90k CI flight from TPE-LAX in Business... I couldn't be happier with the hard product. As mentioned above, the cabin is GORGEOUS. I flew Delta One earlier this year HND-MSP and this is just bigger/better/more. The space. I'm 6'2 and my feet were a bit cramped in DL_One, far from it here. Giant screen, decent wifi speeds, good meal, good drinks. Attentive FAs. The only thing, and I'm nitpicking here, is that I asked for another bottle of water and they offer to fill my glass as they don't have bottles to give out...
Love it.

Aiming to use my SkyMiles for China Airlines Business class as well. Who did you book the ticket through at 90,000 miles?

I'd love to take the Korean Air ICN to ATL flight back using miles, but I cannot justify the now 95,000 SkyMiles cost for their 2-3-2 old business product, as nice as direct would be.

Also, if you're -very- flexible on dates you can fly direct on business saver for 80,000 on Delta One out of Shanghai, Tokyo, or Seoul but I have a hard time flying Delta when I am more interested in trying better, interesting foreign airlines for business class.

I'll probably settle on TPE-JFK, then buy a separate ticket to ATL. I am based in SE Asia mostly though, so tempting to try Air France business from SIN to LHR, or Vietnam for SGN to LHR for a totally different routing.

Last edited by jiaogulan; Jun 12, 2017 at 3:30 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.