Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Originally Posted by worldspan
When you fly China Airlines Premium Economy (E) class to TPE you can fly Business (D) class to your onward destination in Asia from TPE. A tremendous deal.

I am going E from JFK to TPE in November and then continuing on in D on the 777-300 as well TPE to HAN with their best lie-flat product.
I had my cousins take advantage of this practice by booking the E/D combination JFK-KUL. The outbound is particularly generous as the morning TPE-KUL is operated on a 777 long-haul configuration.

My question: has anyone (without applicable SkyTeam status) verified that lounge access is available on all legs, or is it only allowed immediately prior to the short-haul business class legs? For example, on the return, would the just-completed KUL-TPE business class boarding passes be sufficient to permit TPE lounge access?
Old May 15, 2017, 6:35 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Without status, lounge invitation will be only granted before the short haul flight.

So if you were flying to KUL then it would be lounge access in TPE (You may or may not have much time to enjoy it when connecting.)

And then you would be granted Lounge access in KUL.

The biggest advantage is the lounge access in TPE on the way to KUL as after a long flight you would really appreciate the access to a shower to freshen up.

From US or on the way back through TPE you will have no lounge access. And to be honest if they allowed all PE customers to use the business lounge then I doubt the lounges could handle the capacity. Plus in the future there will be more PE capacity flying in and out with new routes or routes upgraded.

Not sure if this deal will last very long (more than 2/3yrs) but one could hope.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: SkyMiles, AsiaMiles, Mabuhay Miles, GetGo, Accor
I just booked a return PE ticket MNL-TPE-JFK on CI. It was $391 more than the cheapest economy in CI but never really considered it after seeing the 3-4-3 config and seat width on the 777. I usually fly DL to the US but the cheapest economy was only $180 less. I'm hoping the few hundred dollars would be worth it particularly on the 16-hour TPE-JFK leg. The MNL-TPE sector will be both on business (D). Being a Skymiles member, I believe I also get full mileage credit for my fare class compared to if I booked on the cheapest DL economy.

I did inquire about the lounge access and since the MNL-TPE segment is on Business (D), I get to access the lounge in MNL and at TPE on the return leg but I don't think it would matter since I'd only have a 2-hour layover.

Would anyone know if CI PE has a dedicated check-in counter in JFK? Would also love to hear more thoughts on this airline and class. It's my first time flying CI.

Last edited by bryantpark; May 19, 2017 at 3:25 am
Old May 19, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
In brief, the food and service are so-so but the leg room will be heavenly. I had not flown to Asia in over 20 years, and was shocked at how cramped regular coach had become on Delta, though the service was excellent. CI PE was great, especially since I found an $1100 fare JFK-BKK RT. There is a dedicated line for PE at JFK check-in (I do not remember if it was shared with Business Class). If you are tall or portly, it is definitely worth the extra $$$.
Old May 20, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: SkyMiles, AsiaMiles, Mabuhay Miles, GetGo, Accor
Originally Posted by Dalewood
In brief, the food and service are so-so but the leg room will be heavenly. I had not flown to Asia in over 20 years, and was shocked at how cramped regular coach had become on Delta, though the service was excellent. CI PE was great, especially since I found an $1100 fare JFK-BKK RT. There is a dedicated line for PE at JFK check-in (I do not remember if it was shared with Business Class). If you are tall or portly, it is definitely worth the extra $$$.
Yes, I am tall and portly so it's great to hear about the legroom. I recently just arrived from a trip to NY with Delta and was fortunate that my request for a bulkhead and exit row seat on the 14-hour NRT-ATL leg and back were granted. Otherwise, I couldn't imagine myself being seated on a long-haul regular economy seat. Good to know that PE has a dedicated line in JFK. It does as well in MNL. I got my ticket for $1,278 departing in Aug. I hope this is a good deal considering that high season for flights to the US is up to Aug. 31. Many thanks for your thoughts.
Old May 21, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
There is something about the China Airlines product that is so great. When I was checking in with CI at SGN on my return trip to the States, the counter (handled by a Vietnamese ground handling agent) was not quite open. All of a sudden 5 young ladies in traditional women's long dress arrived and started signing into their computers, etc. When they were finally all set to check the 20 or so of us on line, they did just one thing first. They all walked out in front of us in a straight line across, bowed in unison to us all, big smiles on each one of them and welcomed us to proceed to each check-in position! Can you imagine any American flag carrier doing that ?!!!!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
I figured out CI's new policy in terms of being booked on business class from TPE-Asia in combination with premium economy from USA. If you are booked on the more expensive premium economy booking classes (U or W) on the transpacific segment, you will still be booked into business class (D) on the TPE to Asia connections. The cheapest premium economy fares (E) will now result in an economy class seat (B) from TPE to Asia. (On CI's website, E is called "Premium Super Saver", U is "Premium Saver", and W is "Premium Flex"). The old policy was that even the cheapest premium economy fares (E) would be booked into business (D) for the connection. This makes more sense from CI's standpoint, but not as much of a bargain for pax. The incremental fare step from E to U/W was around $200 one-way (for SFO-TPE-ICN), so doesn't seem worth the premium just to have TPE lounge access and a business class meal.

I just returned from a trip on CI's new A350 from SFO-TPE on PE, and then TPE-ICN in Business on the 777-300ER. The PE seat on A350 was perfect with generous legroom, and the business segment was of course nice (but too short at only 2 hrs!). Service in PE was Economy-like and not all that great, but much better on the business class segment...still one step below the top tier Asian carriers like SQ, CX, etc.

Originally Posted by tris06
Yes its true they have stopped allowing Business class in combination with premium economy for flights from Europe/USA to Australia/NZ.

The reason? It was just too generous. TPE-AUS/NZ is not really Asia and not short haul.

They are still allowing Business in combination with premium economy to Asian destinations like HKG/BKK.

Your best bet is to see what are the terms of the ticket. Can it be changed? Without cost or with cost? Call CI and see if the date can be rolled back 3/4 months even with a fee it would make it worth doing.

But definitely all newly issued tickets will just be economy in the future.

This is the main reason why they need the A350/B777 on the routes to AUS/NZ because its firstly nearly impossible to book PE to Europe when the first leg only offers Economy/Business. And also people will want PE all the way not just for the first flight if your starting from Europe/USA.
GwailoSIN likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:16 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Oh that is a shame. I had not yet taken advantage of that E/D combo.

Our current bookings were U/D combo as we wanted to use our points for upgrading anyway. I can easily put up with 2/3 hr flight in economy anyway.

Also that means you will get 100% mileage credited for a E/M flight combo,
and 115% mileage credited for U/D flight combo.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:18 am

This policy seems to have changed very recently.
Luckily I booked my ticket last week, when they were still doing the E/D combo for Premium Super Saver.
I just checked again, and it now books with E/B combo...

Originally Posted by jch636
I figured out CI's new policy in terms of being booked on business class from TPE-Asia in combination with premium economy from USA. If you are booked on the more expensive premium economy booking classes (U or W) on the transpacific segment, you will still be booked into business class (D) on the TPE to Asia connections. The cheapest premium economy fares (E) will now result in an economy class seat (B) from TPE to Asia. (On CI's website, E is called "Premium Super Saver", U is "Premium Saver", and W is "Premium Flex"). The old policy was that even the cheapest premium economy fares (E) would be booked into business (D) for the connection. This makes more sense from CI's standpoint, but not as much of a bargain for pax. The incremental fare step from E to U/W was around $200 one-way (for SFO-TPE-ICN), so doesn't seem worth the premium just to have TPE lounge access and a business class meal.

I just returned from a trip on CI's new A350 from SFO-TPE on PE, and then TPE-ICN in Business on the 777-300ER. The PE seat on A350 was perfect with generous legroom, and the business segment was of course nice (but too short at only 2 hrs!). Service in PE was Economy-like and not all that great, but much better on the business class segment...still one step below the top tier Asian carriers like SQ, CX, etc.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by tris06
Without status, lounge invitation will be only granted before the short haul flight.

So if you were flying to KUL then it would be lounge access in TPE (You may or may not have much time to enjoy it when connecting.)

And then you would be granted Lounge access in KUL.

The biggest advantage is the lounge access in TPE on the way to KUL as after a long flight you would really appreciate the access to a shower to freshen up.

From US or on the way back through TPE you will have no lounge access. And to be honest if they allowed all PE customers to use the business lounge then I doubt the lounges could handle the capacity. Plus in the future there will be more PE capacity flying in and out with new routes or routes upgraded.

Not sure if this deal will last very long (more than 2/3yrs) but one could hope.
In early August I am flying SFO-TPE-SGN-TPE-SFO. I read something in a couple different places that conflicts with this, which indicates that lounge access is granted based on the 'highest' class of service that you are flying on. Can anyone clarify? Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
You will have lounge access for only the departure airports prior to your business class segments, so that would likely TPE outbound (definitely go to CI's Terminal 1 Dynasty Lounge) and at SGN inbound (if CI has a lounge or a partner lounge there).

On a separate note, if you have Priority Pass, you will be able to get into the Air France lounge at SFO if you are flying out on CI3 (the late night flight). The Air France lounge limits Priority Pass entrance during busier times, but it closes at 1am so had no problems getting in there at around 11:30pm.

Originally Posted by unagi1
In early August I am flying SFO-TPE-SGN-TPE-SFO. I read something in a couple different places that conflicts with this, which indicates that lounge access is granted based on the 'highest' class of service that you are flying on. Can anyone clarify? Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:36 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by unagi1

I rang the airline about other things but as i had just read your comment i asked to just check what i thought. The answer was only access on departure flight which is business class so yes you will only be able to use the Taipei lounge 1 way.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was just looking at flights to China (CSX), and a booking in E (discount PE) still books into D (business class) for the regional connection. Total RT fare from SFO is around $1400, which is a very good deal.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I'm looking at a YVR-TPE-ICN itinerary where the Premium Economy fare (lowest) books into Coach for the TPE-ICN leg.
My question is whether I'd have any chance at a PE seat on the 777 aircraft which runs TPE-ICN, given that I'd booked the TPAC leg in PE? Seat pitch matters more than J service on this leg, to me anyway.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
You will likely have the PE seats w/Economy service as they don't sell PE on that route. When you book just check the seat selections and you will know if there are PE seats for you to select.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.