China Airlines Premium Economy

Old Jul 10, 2016, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

China Airlines Premium Economy

Has anyone flown this product? I am scheduled to fly SFO-TPE on their 777. I am just curious what people have thought of China Airlines product. Thanks in advanced!!
Old Jul 10, 2016, 6:30 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the Other Asia Airlines Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:18 am

It's nice, but the last time I flew on a competing product was when BR was still offering Evergreen Deluxe so I don't really have any actual reference for comparison.

The seat is okay, but the footrest is pretty useless. I wish the seat cushion tilted into a cradle position when you reclined, but that might just be a "me" thing. Lots of storage cubbies, which is nice.

The tray table, if you're not in a bulkhead seat, is glorious.

Meals are basically Y meals with a fancier salad and a nicer dessert. Nicer booze selection, too.

You get noise cancelling headphones and an amenity kit.

They'll also have a mid-flight snack service (it's just a sandwich).
Old Jul 11, 2016, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
It's nice, but the last time I flew on a competing product was when BR was still offering Evergreen Deluxe so I don't really have any actual reference for comparison.

The seat is okay, but the footrest is pretty useless. I wish the seat cushion tilted into a cradle position when you reclined, but that might just be a "me" thing. Lots of storage cubbies, which is nice.

The tray table, if you're not in a bulkhead seat, is glorious.

Meals are basically Y meals with a fancier salad and a nicer dessert. Nicer booze selection, too.

You get noise cancelling headphones and an amenity kit.

They'll also have a mid-flight snack service (it's just a sandwich).
Thanks for the detailed reply! We are not sitting in the bulkhead. Did you fly the product on their new 777? Or is Y+ only offered in their 777?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by mikelazaro
Thanks for the detailed reply! We are not sitting in the bulkhead. Did you fly the product on their new 777? Or is Y+ only offered in their 777?
Premium Economy is currently only offered in 77W.

The other fake Premium Economy product is on the 744 which was Business to CI 2-3 years ago. Those are then extremely nice seats for Premium Economy.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
This may be the wrong thread, but.....going JFK-BKK via prem econ, what seats do I get between Taipei and Bangkok? There is no prem econ that I see between the two cities. I am considering CI since Delta is dropping Bangkok. Thanks!!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Dalewood
This may be the wrong thread, but.....going JFK-BKK via prem econ, what seats do I get between Taipei and Bangkok? There is no prem econ that I see between the two cities. I am considering CI since Delta is dropping Bangkok. Thanks!!
Im pretty sure they will have u choose between Y and business.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Im pretty sure they will have u choose between Y and business.
When you fly China Airlines Premium Economy (E) class to TPE you can fly Business (D) class to your onward destination in Asia from TPE. A tremendous deal.

I am going E from JFK to TPE in November and then continuing on in D on the 777-300 as well TPE to HAN with their best lie-flat product.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Just found this thread. Thanks to the prior posters. Looking at China Airline PE to AKL in the spring. Great fare, considering that TPE-AKL is in business.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:16 am

Hi there! I fly LAX-TPE-SGN at least 4 times a year on China Airlines in their Premium Economy class. Overall, I've never had a bad experience with the flight. The seats are nice; the hard shell backs are great because the seat in front of you doesn't intrude into your space. The food is fairly decent, or comparable, to other airlines in this service class. But overall, yea, I'm a fan. Whenever flying to SE Asia, I always look for CI flights because I think they put out a good product.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by worldspan
When you fly China Airlines Premium Economy (E) class to TPE you can fly Business (D) class to your onward destination in Asia from TPE. A tremendous deal.

I am going E from JFK to TPE in November and then continuing on in D on the 777-300 as well TPE to HAN with their best lie-flat product.
This is also true for Australia and NZ. You can fly i.e. on their new 77W Product Premium Economy from FRA to TPE and then get business class (on their older A330) to AKL via BNE or SYD, which makes the business class segment longer than the Europe to TPE segment. Really good deal indeed
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Reifel
This is also true for Australia and NZ. You can fly i.e. on their new 77W Product Premium Economy from FRA to TPE and then get business class (on their older A330) to AKL via BNE or SYD, which makes the business class segment longer than the Europe to TPE segment. Really good deal indeed
Bumping this up -- I'm booked US-TPE-AKL and return for May/June in the E-premium economy/D-business arrangement.
But my boss is talking to me about deferring my retirement and when I try dummy bookings for the fall, it appears to book into E/B-coach. Anyone know if they've changed the arrangements and the TPE-Asia legs now book into coach rather than business?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:17 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mot29
Bumping this up -- I'm booked US-TPE-AKL and return for May/June in the E-premium economy/D-business arrangement.
But my boss is talking to me about deferring my retirement and when I try dummy bookings for the fall, it appears to book into E/B-coach. Anyone know if they've changed the arrangements and the TPE-Asia legs now book into coach rather than business?
Yes its true they have stopped allowing Business class in combination with premium economy for flights from Europe/USA to Australia/NZ.

The reason? It was just too generous. TPE-AUS/NZ is not really Asia and not short haul.

They are still allowing Business in combination with premium economy to Asian destinations like HKG/BKK.

Your best bet is to see what are the terms of the ticket. Can it be changed? Without cost or with cost? Call CI and see if the date can be rolled back 3/4 months even with a fee it would make it worth doing.

But definitely all newly issued tickets will just be economy in the future.

This is the main reason why they need the A350/B777 on the routes to AUS/NZ because its firstly nearly impossible to book PE to Europe when the first leg only offers Economy/Business. And also people will want PE all the way not just for the first flight if your starting from Europe/USA.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by tris06
Yes its true they have stopped allowing Business class in combination with premium economy for flights from Europe/USA to Australia/NZ.

The reason? It was just too generous. TPE-AUS/NZ is not really Asia and not short haul.

They are still allowing Business in combination with premium economy to Asian destinations like HKG/BKK.

Your best bet is to see what are the terms of the ticket. Can it be changed? Without cost or with cost? Call CI and see if the date can be rolled back 3/4 months even with a fee it would make it worth doing.

But definitely all newly issued tickets will just be economy in the future.

This is the main reason why they need the A350/B777 on the routes to AUS/NZ because its firstly nearly impossible to book PE to Europe when the first leg only offers Economy/Business. And also people will want PE all the way not just for the first flight if your starting from Europe/USA.
Thanks, tris06, for clearing this up. The change fee on my ticket is only $100 (maybe each way) but I'm guessing they would reissue under the new terms. I really don't want to work any longer anyhow -- unless my boss will pay the cost of moving up to business, I think. That would change my $1752 roundtrip ticket to $5500+. Even continuing the booking in PE and moving back a month raises the fare by $510, not counting any change fee (and it rebooks into B for the TPE-NZ legs.
tom
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:26 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Give your local (CI) office a call and let them know, you never know they may be able to organise it.

If no luck then nothing lost.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.