Wiki Posts
Search

Spring Airlines tips

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Spring Airlines tips

I created a TR thread about my first experiences with Spring Airlines (9C) several years back:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...1st-tr-ft.html

I haven't flown them since, though I hadn't ruled out flying them either. But, I did it again today (SZX-SHA), and want to post a few tips that could save others a bit of hassle:

1. I found out I needed to fly SZX-SHA less than 24 hours ago, and all prices on Ctrip were I, which I was cool with. But, at about 9p last night, 9C flooded Ctrip with Y830 fares on all 5 of its flights. That's still more than what I usually pay, but thinking something was up, I went to their own website, and learned that their price was actually only Y550... a big enough savings to warrant attempting to use it

2. I subsequently learned that, while their Chinese website works fine when paying with Chinese credit cards, their English website is an atrocity; here's how to play it
a) Create an account BEFORE making a booking... you need an account to book tickets, and creating accounts midway through simply doesn't work
b) Choose a transaction currency other than CNY
-I know all of us are trained to transact in the local currency whenever possible, but this actually IS NOT an option (even though they make it appear to be)
-Don't waste any time arguing this point with the Spring people because they've been programmed with dogma that will make your head spin
-When using USD, my total price was actually cheaper than the CNY total price because they didn't hit me with the mandatory insurance

3. The first two rows on Spring flights now feature very generous pitch (they claim up to 39")
-they only charge (on my flight) Y35 extra for these... naturally these seats were all taken, but this is a complete no brainer use of Y35

4. There were 30 minutes of advertorial broadcasts during my flight today
-bring ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones

5. Only about 10 people on the flight bought the onboard meals (which, you order when booking)
-they smelled pretty good
-I liked the fact that the smell of 150 awful meals didn't permeate the cabin (the norm with other Chinese airlines)
-even though they try to get you to preorder water when booking, bottled water was free (perhaps because it was 35 degrees on the tarmac in Shenzhen, and they didn't want people having heat strokes under their watch)

6. I got a chance to watch the baggage handlers load the cart upon arrival at Hongqiao
-I'm not sure if they were Spring employees or not, but I was very impressed by the gentle/orderly way they handled luggage
-And, my bag beat me to the belt (fairly common in China, but is still a nice thing)

7. I would fly Spring to Hongqiao again, even if the price was the same as MU, ZH, FM, CZ, etc, simply because I like arriving at T1 (10 minutes closer to town)
-I haven't tried them from Hongqiao yet, which I'm guessing is an awful place to spend a delay (the building is seriously beat up these days)

8. As for longer flights like BKK and TYO, I'm open to it at the right price. However, I'd probably want some sort of meds to endure 4+ hours in those seats

9. The in flight exercises brought a smile to my face (very high participatioin rate); next time, I'll try to grab a picture

Last edited by moondog; Aug 2, 2015 at 3:54 am
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by moondog
I created a TR thread about my first experiences with Spring Airlines (9C) several years back:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...1st-tr-ft.html

I haven't flown them since, though I hadn't ruled out flying them either. But, I did it again today (SZX-SHA), and want to post a few tips that could save others a bit of hassle:

1. I found out I needed to fly SZX-SHA less than 24 hours ago, and all prices on Ctrip were I, which I was cool with. But, at about 9p last night, 9C flooded Ctrip with Y830 fares on all 5 of its flights. That's still more than what I usually pay, but thinking something was up, I went to their own website, and learned that their price was actually only Y550... a big enough savings to warrant attempting to use it

2. I subsequently learned that, while their Chinese website works fine when paying with Chinese credit cards, their English website is an atrocity; here's how to play it
a) Create an account BEFORE making a booking... you need an account to book tickets, and creating accounts midway through simply doesn't work
b) Choose a transaction currency other than CNY
-I know all of us are trained to transact in the local currency whenever possible, but this actually IS NOT an option (even though they make it appear to be)
-Don't waste any time arguing this point with the Spring people because they've been programmed with dogma that will make your head spin
-When using USD, my total price was actually cheaper than the CNY total price because they didn't hit me with the mandatory insurance

3. The first two rows on Spring flights now feature very generous pitch (they claim up to 39")
-they only charge (on my flight) Y35 extra for these... naturally these seats were all taken, but this is a complete no brainer use of Y35

4. There were 30 minutes of advertorial broadcasts during my flight today
-bring ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones

5. Only about 10 people on the flight bought the onboard meals (which, you order when booking)
-they smelled pretty good
-I liked the fact that the smell of 150 awful meals didn't permeate the cabin (the norm with other Chinese airlines)
-even though they try to get you to preorder water when booking, bottled water was free (perhaps because it was 35 degrees on the tarmac in Shenzhen, and they didn't want people having heat strokes under their watch)

6. I got a chance to watch the baggage handlers load the cart upon arrival at Hongqiao
-I'm not sure if they were Spring employees or not, but I was very impressed by the gentle/orderly way they handled luggage
-And, my bag beat me to the belt (fairly common in China, but is still a nice thing)

7. I would fly Spring to Hongqiao again, even if the price was the same as MU, ZH, FM, CZ, etc, simply because I like arriving at T1 (10 minutes closer to town)
-I haven't tried them from Hongqiao yet, which I'm guessing is an awful place to spend a delay (the building is seriously beat up these days)

8. As for longer flights like BKK and TYO, I'm open to it at the right price. However, I'd probably want some sort of meds to endure 4+ hours in those seats

9. The in flight exercises brought a smile to my face (very high participatioin rate); next time, I'll try to grab a picture

Thanks for the post and info/ I am curious on passengers on their flights, same as other airlines better or worse? (I have seem some really bad, infrequent flyers in China)I wanted to try them on KHH/TPE to PVG?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Taipei
Thanks for the post and info/ I am curious on passengers on their flights, same as other airlines better or worse? (I have seem some really bad, infrequent flyers in China)I wanted to try them on KHH/TPE to PVG?
They are definitely worse than even MU. But, I wouldn't dream of spending an extra 500 to avail of MU at my desired time (100, sure, but not 500).

As I mentioned in my 2012 trip report, 9c employees are really nice across the board; just don't try to challenge them on how crappy their English website is because that dialog will just leave you in frustration.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
I had the opportunity to fly with them a few years ago from SHA-SYX. The expression you get what you pay for was my experience. As for passengers, once the wheels hit the ground, they were up. If I remember correctly, the seats could not recline. Also, I hear they save money by not parking at a gate and always doing a remote. It may have changed though.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
I've flown them twice... HKG and KIX. Off-peak and winter seasons (in advance) they're relatively cheap flying to capacity-disciplined routes (Tokyo, Osaka, Seoul etc) but I found them rarely any cheaper internationally in the summer. The experience was alright other than a certain kind of odor in the plane.

The website is an atrocity through and through. Remembered giving up the first time and headed to a ticket office near People's Square to get it issued. That might be a good alternative if you're based in SH.

I've mixed feelings about SHA T1. On one hand it really is a pleasant airport to depart from an FSC (delays on KE/OZ/JL/NH are rare), but unless you get picked up by a hire car service or Uber, cab lines are atrociously long sometimes- less cabs drop by the terminal. The walk to the #10 Metro is also one of the more eccentric connections in the system.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:31 am
Original Poster

-the walk to line 10 from t1 is long, but still 3 minutes shorter than doing the same at t2
-for those of us who reside near line 10, t1 is great
-for those who don't, you're still ten minutes closer to town, and uber is easy as pie
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Thank you for your detailed report, moondog. As someone who is looking to fly Spring Airlines next year (for leisure), I really appreciate all the tips you have shared here.

Question: how can I book the first two rows of seats for Y35? I'm on their website right now and I keep seeing this pop up when I try to checkout:

Tips
Passenger name must be identical with name on I.D.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by happychic
Thank you for your detailed report, moondog. As someone who is looking to fly Spring Airlines next year (for leisure), I really appreciate all the tips you have shared here.

Question: how can I book the first two rows of seats for Y35? I'm on their website right now and I keep seeing this pop up when I try to checkout:
During the booking process (make sure you create an account first and select USD, if you don't fancy wasting 3 hours of your time), you will be shown a seat map, and MAYBE have the opportunity to a buy seat in the first two rows.

In my recent case, the good seats were already gone, so I just accepted what was offered at the airport (I could have paid small money to lock something else in, but didn't see any point in doing so).

Last edited by moondog; Aug 11, 2015 at 1:26 am
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
I just tried to book it last week for TPE-PVG and was having trouble having my US issued credit cards processed. All 3 attempts (2 mastercards, 1 visa card) ended up with a big "Failed". I then gave up and took a flight with other airlines. A few days later, all 3 charges went through so now I'm in the process of getting refunds. I was a bit concerned since I did not screen shot the "failed" page and I did not receive any communication emails from Spring throughout the process. During the call, CS did confirm that it was not ticketed and will request the finance department to issue refunds. They really need to improve their ticking process.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
moondog - wondering if you can provide some assistance? Looking to book Spring Plus TPE-PVG. The 'plus' fare seems to be quite cheap - USD80 v USD62 for regular. However, once the booking is completed it doesn't seem to reflect 'plus' class anywhere - that only appears on the main page with the fares (ie more legroom).

I get to the credit card page, but can't get access to a seat map to confirm it's spring plus. I don't want to book without certainty. When am I supposed to see the seat map?

Ultimately however, what's your advice - Spring Plus for ~USD140 a/i or Air China economy for USD177 a/i?
Old May 1, 2016, 12:29 am
Original Poster

I have yet to score spring plus, but unless things have changed, you select plus during the seat selection phase of the booking.

As for your question about 9C v CA, I would probably go with CA for that price difference simply because they endorse to other airlines. $177 is still a really good fare for that route.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
I have yet to score spring plus, but unless things have changed, you select plus during the seat selection phase of the booking.

As for your question about 9C v CA, I would probably go with CA for that price difference simply because they endorse to other airlines. $177 is still a really good fare for that route.
thanks.... but... where is the seat selection phase supposed to be? after credit card payment? if it's supposed to be before that, I'm somehow not being offered it. I expected it to be before payment in case there were additional charges (ie for those who bought regular economy).

I think you're right though, CA probably going to be the better option.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
thanks.... but... where is the seat selection phase supposed to be? after credit card payment? if it's supposed to be before that, I'm somehow not being offered it. I expected it to be before payment in case there were additional charges (ie for those who bought regular economy).

I think you're right though, CA probably going to be the better option.
I haven't booked a Spring flight in about 3 months, but the seat selection process was before the credit card step because the seats, including plus, had different prices on them. After you select seats, the seat fee gets added to the total. I'd be a little surprised if they were doing things differently now...unless they're hoping to push middle seats. In the event you decide you want to go with Spring, send me a message about your specific flights, and I'll take a look.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks moondog. I sent you a PM, but I also decided to do a dummy booking PVG-HKG. That booking indeed brought up the seat map after entering the passenger details. So it looks like a glitch for flights ex TPE (any maybe other outstations?)

Interestingly, when selecting spring plus PVG-HKG it gives you front row VIP free of charge, but wants an extra USD7 for row 2. Wonder what would happen if you didn't pay for seat selection.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Thanks moondog. I sent you a PM, but I also decided to do a dummy booking PVG-HKG. That booking indeed brought up the seat map after entering the passenger details. So it looks like a glitch for flights ex TPE (any maybe other outstations?)

Interestingly, when selecting spring plus PVG-HKG it gives you front row VIP free of charge, but wants an extra USD7 for row 2. Wonder what would happen if you didn't pay for seat selection.
This is further evidence that they don't care a great deal about their English website (they're not alone), and their Chinese website dislikes foreign credit cards....so we're caught between a rock and a hard place.

I would never book plus/VIP without being able to select a seat because I've never been on a flight in which all of those seats were not occupied.

In the PM I just sent you, I raised the question that selecting the SpringPlus fare could be a prerequisite for gaining access to VIP seats (something I hadn't thought of previously).

More data points would be appreciated. I highly doubt that Spring will improve its website for our benefit, so we have to play the ball as it lies.

ETA: It appears that I have met my PM quota, so my message to you didn't go through. Following is the content I wanted to send:

I just tried two dummy bookings:

1. selecting the cheapest fare (I always choose this one or the next bucket up if I have a lot of luggage)

2. selecting SpringPlus

In the case of #1, I get a seat map showing plus seats for a $10 upcharge, but they are all taken. (This is the drill I'm used to.)

In the case of #2, there is no seat map prior to the credit card step, as you noted.

It never occurred to me that choosing the SpringPlus fare might be a prerequisite for selecting plus seats because, as mentioned above, I always see these seats on the seat map with prices when I go for the cheap fares.

Anyway, I noticed that the fare jumps to $130 after you add the taxes. Is $177 the round trip price for CA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.