Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines - Business

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power

I noticed that there's not much in the way of trip reports for this carrier - there are a few out there, but no where near as many as there are for BR. Anyone have any recent experiences to share? I'm taking it in a few weeks.
Old May 14, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Where are you flying from/to?
Old May 14, 2015, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Good point gracall! Sorry about that.

I'm flying MNL-TPE-NYC on the new 77W.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by TGGDEL
I'm flying MNL-TPE-NYC on the new 77W.
MNL-TPE you'll be on 333 in the mornings or 738 in the afternoons. Services are typical of CI/BR regional flights, welcome drinks, packaged trail mix, hot towels, 2 choices of meals, NC headphones...etc.

Biggest advantage on the 333 is its new(er) configuration w/VOD compare to the conventional seats w/o VOD on the 738. For the same money, I'd choose the morning flight every time for more leg room and personal space.

Have not been on the 77W. SFO gets no love till this fall.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

We are on the morning flight, but it says its a 737... will report back on the 77W then.
Thanks!
Old May 14, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™
Originally Posted by TGGDEL
I noticed that there's not much in the way of trip reports for this carrier - there are a few out there, but no where near as many as there are for BR. Anyone have any recent experiences to share? I'm taking it in a few weeks.
I gave up flying Etihad 18 months ago to fly CI and I do 3 round trip a year all of which have been faultless. I really do like the service, the food in fact the whole experience. I have not been on the 777 but I'm sure you are going to like it.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:33 pm

Really insignificant and somewhat irrelevant data point for the op but they're the only chinese based airline that has correctly translated my Fujian chinese surname into the corresponding mandarin version and addressed me by name using that when speaking to me in mandarin. Impressive. (To me) Just trying to highlight that I think CI is a rough diamond
Old May 17, 2015, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://thedesignair.net/2014/11/05/t...november-2014/ has a pretty good report for a short-haul test flight (but with some long-haul features).
Old May 17, 2015, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
Really insignificant and somewhat irrelevant data point for the op but they're the only chinese based airline that has correctly translated my Fujian chinese surname into the corresponding mandarin version and addressed me by name using that when speaking to me in mandarin. Impressive. (To me) J
Shouldn't come as too much of a surprise because the native dialect of Taiwan is a very close relative (or essentially the same) as the Fujian dialect on the other side of the strait?
Old May 17, 2015, 4:36 pm

J on their 77W isn't too bad.

Apparently they have a turn-down service; I say apparently because from what I've heard you have to ask for it (it was never mentioned or offered during the flight I took). The seat isn't too uncomfortable to sleep on, though. I don't recall them distributing slippers, which was really confusing especially when Y/W had slippers.

There's snacks and stuff in the mid-cabin galley, as well as Nespresso and tea bags. I had work to do and then sleep to catch up on, so I didn't really check out the stuff there.

Dinner meal service has a soup starter, then they bring out the main entree. Salad and fruit are in hilariously (imo adorably) cheap-looking plastic bowls, everything else is on pretty and fancy chinaware.

Power outlets and IFE controller are, irritatingly, located in one of the side bins. If you're in the center seats, CI opted out of privacy dividers, so you'll have to leave the side bins open if you don't want to see your neighbor.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Shouldn't come as too much of a surprise because the native dialect of Taiwan is a very close relative (or essentially the same) as the Fujian dialect on the other side of the strait?
The hokkien dialect is close both sides of the strait. I know i ought not to be surprised but I still thought it was a nice touch, and very smooth
Old May 19, 2015, 3:46 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I wrote a report about CI 77W here (nb shorthaul not longhaul). The same report also includes BR 77W shorthaul, which is a useful comparison.
Old May 19, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
The hokkien dialect is close both sides of the strait. I know i ought not to be surprised but I still thought it was a nice touch, and very smooth
Same dialect as Xiamen but not in Fuzhou though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.