Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air China Auction Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
That's common practice on non-us carriers; protect value of premium cabins.
Then why have the bidding process in the first place?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jediwho
Then why have the bidding process in the first place?
As far as I understand it, the bidding thing is an opaque middle ground between offering upgrades for sale and possibly offering the opportunity to upgrade (at an unknown price). Note that airlines that really care about keeping premium cabins sacred tend not to play the auction game.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
As far as I understand it, the bidding thing is an opaque middle ground between offering upgrades for sale and possibly offering the opportunity to upgrade (at an unknown price). Note that airlines that really care about keeping premium cabins sacred tend not to play the auction game.
Also, it just could be the management that operates very differently. One thing I noticed is that both times, the jets were on the tarmac for 5 to 6 hours at least, which seems too long. I haven't paid close attention to the turnaround time for international flights but would think that the turnaround time would be a bit shorter than than.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:32 pm

Also, it just could be the management that operates very differently. One thing I noticed is that both times, the jets were on the tarmac for 5 to 6 hours at least, which seems too long. I haven't paid close attention to the turnaround time for international flights but would think that the turnaround time would be a bit shorter than than.
In CA's case, more often than not tarmac holds have to do with flow control in Beijing or airway congestion (i.e. factors outside of managerial control).
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:02 am

4/8/16 I'm flying (economy, L and S class) SFO-PEK-BKK. The reverse on 4/18/16. I noticed the following banner while checking my booking:

"+USD150, Upgrade Promotion from Economy to Premium Economy!More details, please click here. "

It took me here.

No mention of $150 Premium Economy upgrade. But I saw the 'Bid for Upgrade' on the left. So I bid $535 from SFO-PEK.

PEK-SFO was not offered so I assume it's too far out. I will up my offer on the return if I don't get it first time around.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by LuckyStrike
4/8/16 I'm flying (economy, L and S class) SFO-PEK-BKK. The reverse on 4/18/16. I noticed the following banner while checking my booking:

"+USD150, Upgrade Promotion from Economy to Premium Economy!More details, please click here. "

It took me here.

No mention of $150 Premium Economy upgrade. But I saw the 'Bid for Upgrade' on the left. So I bid $535 from SFO-PEK.

PEK-SFO was not offered so I assume it's too far out. I will up my offer on the return if I don't get it first time around.
Air China's Premium Economy is basically an Economy seat with extra leg room, that's about it. Hope you get the upgrade.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Has anyone received an upgrade under 1k? I know 1k is instantly accepted.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Air China's Premium Economy is basically an Economy seat with extra leg room, that's about it. Hope you get the upgrade.
To clarify. The bid was for a business class upgrade. The page had no info on premium economy. Air China's website isn't very good.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

It took me here.

Just curious, but did you credit your miles to UA or to Air China? I was never offered the ability to bid despite the fact that business class was probably 40% empty. I credited the miles to UA.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
:O $5000!!!! For an 1 way upgrade?
This is probably the fare difference to change the ticket to whatever business class fare they were selling as a walk up price.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If every pax gets invited to the bid invitation, then why should the pax book business class from the start?
So when a yield protection point of view it is better to not send this invitation to all pax.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:19 pm

Just curious, but did you credit your miles to UA or to Air China? I was never offered the ability to bid despite the fact that business class was probably 40% empty. I credited the miles to UA.
I used Air China. In fact I created an account just for this trip. It's my first time on Air China.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: N/A
I used Air China. In fact I created an account just for this trip. It's my first time on Air China.
Hi LuckyStrike, now it's 2 days before your flight, did you get confirmation from airline?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kun Yang
Hi LuckyStrike, now it's 2 days before your flight, did you get confirmation from airline?
Yes. I received an upgrade earlier today. About 2 or 3 days ago I got an email to modify my bid. I upped it from $535 to $590. Both bids were in the 'weak' range. This is for SFO to PEK. I still don't have an option for PEK to SFO. Just search the Air China site for 'bid'. It was under 'Promotions'.

"Congratulations, Air China has accepted your upgrade offer!

What to do now:

Your flight has been upgraded to Business Class. At the time of your check-in, you will receive a Business Class boarding pass.
You will also shortly receive a new e-ticket via email reflecting this upgrade!"
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
That's ridiculous $590 one way? :O

I totally can see them giving away F upgrades for 1k from J soon.

So $600 for an RT Economy + $1200 Upgrade = $1800 RT J fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.