Wiki Posts
Search

Air China Auction Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Can only bid for the long-haul portion

If $750 is rock bottom from IAD I assume it'd be atleast 1k from LAX because IAD-PEK is a new , (some-what empty) route.
LAX has two flights and is shorter.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
Great point. My think is it will be around $500.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by moondog
Good point! I forgot about that........
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: Many
How and where the auction takes place? During OLCI?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by bodory
How and where the auction takes place? During OLCI?
CA emails you in advanced

It's not an auction because you submit an offer to CA and they either accept it or they won't.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:50 am

Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:10 am

It's probably most useful to know several things about any successful/unsuccessful bid:

1. PhoenixMiles status
2. Original fare
3. Bid amount
4. Route

Those are some of the data points that CA says factor into whether a bid is accepted or rejected. The other factors (again, according to CA) are competing bids and the number of seats available for an upgrade. But those other two factors are a bit more difficult to track then the first 4. ('Route' is not actually mentioned by CA but of course required knowledge if someone is trying to determine the likelihood of making a successful bid.)

I'd also find it interesting to know if the winning bidders saw any open seats in J, although it's hard to say what, if anything could be read into that.

Again, I'm interested because I think I'd like to give this a try, but I'd prefer not to get stuck in Y on a TPAC or (more likely) stuck with costs & time associated with getting a refund.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:51 am

FWIW CA also offer onboard paid upgrade from Y to J on some selected routes. Price is 1000 USD one way with some current promos at 400 USD (MXP, ARN, HNL notably). Up to two seats per flights are available. Catering is Y though.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by bodory
Up to two seats per flights are available. Catering is Y though.
Catering being Y is a bit ridiculous.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Wonder if anybody have any other experiences with their bids on CA.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Wonder if anybody have any other experiences with their bids on CA.
Sorry, but for me I just haven't found an opportunity where it would be worth trying.

When I've looked at the Y fares on CA, the cheapest Y fare class that ensure I can credit 100% miles to UA is typically within a couple hundred (US) of BR PE. I know I can survive BR PE, particularly if I manage to have an open seat next to me. I'm sure I'd like CA J a good deal more than BR PE (although probably not quite as much as BR RL), but it's just too risky for me. I'd be quite happy to give it a go if I wasn't going to be limited to a single bid...
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Just an update. I flew Air China last week from LAX and back and never got an email with a link for bidding. I probably did make a mistake of putting my United FF number for crediting my miles and that could have been the reason why I never got the link.

I called them a couple of days before and asked if they had any business seats available and they said they had a few open and the upgrade was around $5000 per ticket. At the airport, I asked again if they had any business class seats available and that said they had a few. The business/first was probably 40% empty when I checked and this was both going and coming.

Very strange that they would allow so many seats go empty and not collect any additional revenue.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by jediwho

I called them a couple of days before and asked if they had any business seats available and they said they had a few open and the upgrade was around $5000 per ticket. At the airport, I asked again if they had any business class seats available and that said they had a few. The business/first was probably 40% empty when I checked and this was both going and coming.

Very strange that they would allow so many seats go empty and not collect any additional revenue.
:O $5000!!!! For an 1 way upgrade?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jediwho

That's common practice on non-us carriers; protect value of premium cabins.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
:O $5000!!!! For an 1 way upgrade?
Not exactly sure. On the phone, it was round trip. At the counter I specifically asked him for a one way but he could have easily quoted a round trip upgrade price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.