Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
VN: SGN-LAX in 2016, per IPO prospectus

Published in Sept 2014, from Page 67:
http://ibev2.vietnamairlines.com/IPO...pt14-final.pdf

North America: We carefully expand our presence in this market in order to maintain the efficiency of the entire network. In specific, to develop our trans-Pacific network, route from Ho Chi Minh City to Los Angeles will be inaugurated in 2016 while flights to San Francisco, Washington and Vancouver will be inaugurated when applicable.
Lots can happen (or not happen) in 1-2 years. I think the lynchpin to this plan is the FAA's acceptance of Vietnam-flagged aircraft into US airports, so VN must be optimistic the the issues can be worked out.

My own speculation:
  • The FAA will have to give VN their blessing sometime in 2015 to make the 2016 timeframe work.
  • SGN-LAX would instantly become VN's crown jewel route (sorry CDG).
  • VN would throw the best equipment they've got on this route if available, so an A359 (more seats than B788)... or may even push VN into acting on their MOU in regards to the A388.
  • I see SFO going A359, and YVR/IAD going B789.
  • SJC will try give VN the kitchen sink to win the route over SFO; would be more convenient to the expat & refugee population centered in San Jose, and SJC would love to have another Asian destination (in addition to NRT on NH).
  • I'm surprised IAH wasn't mentioned, perhaps an oversight? A B789 would work there.
  • Since launching SGN-LAX would require a bilateral agreement, I would guess that a US-based carrier would launch service to compete with VN. Obvious choice would be UA (they already fly via HKG). I'm putting my money on AA with a B789.

Just my insomnia-induced two cents.

Last edited by IceTrojan; Jan 1, 2015 at 9:30 am
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
I hope they serve Pho as a snack item in Business Class just like how CX serves wonton noodle soup and SQ serves fishball noodle soup
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: VN (PLA/Elite+)
Originally Posted by daniellam
I hope they serve Pho as a snack item in Business Class just like how CX serves wonton noodle soup and SQ serves fishball noodle soup
I think they will serve typical vietnamese dishes. On the outbound flights to Europe they always serve vietnamese dishes in Business Class. For example on my flight from SGN to FRA on Sunday they served - beside other meals - Pho ga (noodle soup with chicken) for dinner and Chao ca loc (congee with fish) for breakfast.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Looks like VN and the CAAV will get some help from Boeing:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...lights-us.html

And I'm betting pho will be on the menu as well... perhaps even banh mi for a mid-flight snack?

And give me Vinamilk yogurt!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.