Transit through Shanghai on Air China

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AB Gold, TK Elite
Transit through Shanghai on Air China

Hello,

I'm flying TPE-MUC via PVG.
I just heard that it is not possible to check my baggage through to Munich from Taipei. I have to get the luggage and recheck them again in Shanghai.

Has anyone had any similar experience? Or should I just change my transit point from Shanghai to Beijing?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I cannot answer this question completely.
However, please avoid Beijing at all costs - the delays at PEK are much worse than PVG.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by warakorn
I cannot answer this question completely.
However, please avoid Beijing at all costs - the delays at PEK are much worse than PVG.
PVG and SHA outdid PEK (with respect to delays) in a major way this past summer.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:06 am

I had no issues doing international-to-international transfer on MU via PVG earlier this year, but check with the airline. Transits in China are stressful in general.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I know I may be a bit lucky, but I've done countless international transfers in PEK and have rarely had any delay, worst one was only an hour on TK. I know PEK has that reputation but I certainly haven't fell victim to it.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
How is Chengdu? Looks like a lota flights will be going through there soon
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
IME, transits in Chinese airports are generally OK as long as it's with the same airline. Changing airlines turns the transit into a whole different game.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
How is Chengdu? Looks like a lota flights will be going through there soon
What do you mean by this? Can you offer any examples in which there are not better routings available?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by moondog
What do you mean by this? Can you offer any examples in which there are not better routings available?
I was reading an article a while back, they said they will soon have a lot of international travels into Chengdu, do they have any yet? Is it a better place to transit vs Beijing/Shanghai?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:06 am

I was reading an article a while back, they said they will soon have a lot of international travels into Chengdu, do they have any yet? Is it a better place to transit vs Beijing/Shanghai?
The Chengdu is spending a lot of money on incentives to lure flights in, but even if they were to take this strategy to the max, that still wouldn't amount to any sort of viable "hub". Tell me any proposed route, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to give you at least 2 options that are better for transit, including PEK/SHA if the Chengdu layover is sufficiently abominable.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:30 am

Geographically, Chengdu lay overs wouldn't make any sense for me since i'm always going to either HK,TPE, or SIN.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:05 pm

Geographically, Chengdu lay overs wouldn't make any sense for me since i'm always going to either HK,TPE, or SIN.
I'm in the same boat, and I'm hard pressed to think of any flight combinations that would make sense for those who aren't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.