Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air China - Cancelled Flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Air China - Cancelled Flight

I book a flight in July on Air China. The last leg is from Beijing to Houston on Oct 27th. I got email last night that the flight was cancelled, a month after booking and two months before travel day. What could be the reason for the cancellation?? Certainly not weather, equipment failure or personnel.

Other than agreeing to rearrange my schedule to accommodate the change, what options/recourse/compensation are there?

Thank you.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by jchan0960
I book a flight in July on Air China. The last leg is from Beijing to Houston on Oct 27th. I got email last night that the flight was cancelled, a month after booking and two months before travel day. What could be the reason for the cancellation?? Certainly not weather, equipment failure or personnel.

Other than agreeing to rearrange my schedule to accommodate the change, what options/recourse/compensation are there?

Thank you.
It's been canceled 2 months in advance, sounds like a schedule change. You don't have any recourse and there is no compensation other than rebooking you to your destination. You'll need to call and see what they offer, in my experience CA isn't very forthcoming about moving you to other carriers, so they'll probably offer you SFO or LAX with a connection on UA from there.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Air China is reducing their flights for Winter from Daily to 5 weekly to Houston.

http://airlineroute.net/2014/08/21/c...fk-w14update1/
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Good Article!

It went from 4X frequency to 7X per week. After they realized it wasn't working I guess they figured 5X is better.

-------------

Compensation on a chinese airline? Good luck with that!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

While I know there are a lot of Chinese people in Houston, the daily 773 always did strike me as a bit of overkill. And, I doubt the UA really cares about helping them funnel traffic to it since they have 4 flights to PEK themselves.

In any event, winter service reductions on transpac routes have been common for as long as I can remember.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Thank you. Now at least I know why it is cancelled. I just hope they don;t decide to go down to 4X and cancel my flight again.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not call and see what they have to offer. Do some research, figure out what you want and call with the exact reroute. A change at SFO/LAX is hardly a major disruption as opposed to a 2-day delay for a non-stop.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
4X is too little
5X is just about right
7X was overkill

I have some dummy bookings at the end of the year incase I need to fly on an emergency so that was apparently affected by the schedule change also.

I guess the FA"s get the opportunity to tour Houston again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.