Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
When all is said and done, and it eventually will, does anybody in Malaysia realize what image of a 4th world country they will emerge with, and for reasons totally unrelated to the tragedy itself? Methinks any difference with the Congo is that any such situation would not have started being investigated by the Congolese and that the French, Belgians, Brits and Americans would have stepped in from Minute 1.
It depends on which account you want to see despite internal politics issues and smaller neighbouring country media wnted to portray Malaysia as un capable. Btw the following is the excerp of QA with Cmdr. William Marks of the U.S. Navy 7th Fleet on the Search for the Malaysian Jet

Q. Who organizes and coordinates the search-and-rescue effort?

A.This is all coordinated by the Malaysian government. They coordinate both the water-space and the airspace management. I give them a lot of credit. They have done what I would call an exceptional job. It’s like a big chessboard out there. It’s really like moving chess pieces around, and that’s 3-D. You have three dimensions, you have the water-space and the airspace.

If you don’t do a good job of it, there is a very real possibility of an accident. I give a lot of credit to the Malaysian government. They have a very well-organized plan. They track all these assets coming in from all these countries, they make assignments, and they’re very efficient, very professional.

http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/...tw-share&_r=1&
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by andrewwm
Malaysia SAR team may not have all the resources of the US but seem to be doing a reasonable job given the complete dearth of information about the flight.

However, their press handling has not been great. I don't see how that impacts whether or not the plane is actually found, only whether it satisfies uninterested international rubberneckers
Not talking about the press or busy-bee bystanders, but about the communication among and between interested parties, e.g. Vietnam and China SAR teams which, at this point, seem more than alienated and infuriated by lack of forthcoming-ness (hmm... ??) and say so in no uncertain terms.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Vietnam resumed full scale air and sea searches for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane on Wednesday, after announcing in the morning that it was scaling back pending information from Malaysia about a new direction of the multi-nation hunt.
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...er-temporary-s
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by maortega15
The passenger can be from a cruise. But I digress.
Lifejackets on a cruise ship don't look anything like lifejackets on an airplane.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by halls120
Lifejackets on a cruise ship don't look anything like lifejackets on an airplane.
I was referring to how the person was dressed/clothing. An airline passenger can be dressed the same way as a passenger on a cruise.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I starting thinking from day#1 the Malaysians have been withholding a large amount of info .. for reasons still unknown.

MAS is government owned, and it seems they were panicked into not coming clean in case it cost them passenger business and reputation.

Their own Military have tracked the plane almost OUT of their airspace heading WEST roughly to the mountain ranges near ACEH Indonesia direction.

Maybe it was shot down by Indonesia is one not totally implausible theory, if cabin was not responding to radio challenges.

Or, if that did not occur and plane was on auto pilot for whatever reason, or deliberately, it crashed in the remote mountains of ACEH BANDA.

It also seems more and more clear from what I have read, the 5 who checked in and were no shows may NOT have had all their baggage removed. Malaysia does NOT seem to have officially ruled that out.

Right now the millions of $$$ of resources and wasting days searching near Vietnam was all un-necessary it seems, and Chinese relatives being flown to India in error really does make MAS look worse still.

Vietnam is now sending annoyed messages that it now seems the plane was nowhere near their air space as first advised and early search efforts in that area were probably un-called for.

Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
[QUOTE=ozstamps;22509398]I starting thinking from day#1 the Malaysians have been withholding a large amount of info .. for reasons still unknown.

MAS is government owned, and it seems they were panicked into not coming clean in case it cost them passenger business and reputation.

Their own Military have tracked the plane almost OUT of their airspace heading WEST roughly to the mountain ranges near ACEH Indonesia direction.

Maybe it was shot down by Indonesia is one not totally implausible theory, if cabin was not responding to radio challenges.

Or, if that did not occur and plane was on auto pilot for whatever reason, or deliberately, it crashed in the remote mountains of ACEH BANDA.

[QUOTE]

Indonesia has indeed been rather silent about all this
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:22 am

It also seems more and more clear from what I have read, the 5 who checked in and were no shows may NOT have had all their baggage removed. Malaysia does NOT seem to have officially ruled that out.
Somewhere up thread a bit is a statement from MA stating that the 5 did not in fact check in at all, they were no shows. In that case there would have been no baggage to remove.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps
I starting thinking from day#1 the Malaysians have been withholding a large amount of info .. for reasons still unknown.
Or maybe the conspiracy theories are only in your head, and the Malaysians are doing the best they can given basically no information about where the plane went. The mystery is completely the result of a nearly unprecedented complete lack of contact with the plane, not because the Malaysians are hiding things.

Tracked WHAT plane. That is the crux of the issue. Just because you get a radar return does not prove it was the missing plane.

Where are you getting information about the plane's heading? All we have is information that RMAF Butterworth received an unidentified contact. There is no information that it was headed toward Banda Aceh.

Moreover, how would the Indonesian military shoot them down? Just more nonsense.

Ruled out. Please read the wiki. 4 pax were booked on the flight but did not check in. There were no checked in but no shows.

Right now the millions of $$$ of resources and wasting days searching near Vietnam was all un-necessary it seems, and Chinese relatives being flown to India in error really does make MAS look worse still.

Vietnam is now sending annoyed messages that it now seems the plane was nowhere near their air space as first advised and early search efforts in that area were probably un-called for.
Probably un-called for? Based on what information of yours?

Sorry, but just because you read sensationalist rumors does not give you the right to armchair quarterback the SAR effort. It's getting really old people coming into this thread with conspiracy theories based off of 2nd and 3rd hand reports who suddenly decide that they know more than the SAR people.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
This SAR is canonical example how you do not do SAR and how anything could go wrong went wrong.

After this there will be some very serious questions to:
- ICAO
- Malaysian authorities
- Military Command and Control centers and their operating procedures
- Airlines

It might sound too much exaggeration right now but I have a feeling that air travel from now on won't be the same as it was before.

Last edited by invisible; Mar 12, 2014 at 9:03 am
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by andrewwm
Based on what information of yours?
Based on Vietnam's own announcement yesterday they had ceased searching. Good enough for you?

They have started up again today it seems, at what intensity level I have my own thoughts on, but it seems more and more clear the plane had turned back well over Malaysia - for reasons none of us know.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by invisible
This SAR is canonical example how you do not do SAR and how anything could go wrong went wrong.

After this three will be some very serious questions to:
- ICAO
- Malaysian authorities
- Airlines

It might sound too much exaggeration right now but I have a feeling that air travel from now on won't be the same as it was before.
To answer you, the following is excerpts of New Yorks Times Q&A with Cmdr. William Marks of the U.S. Navy 7th Fleet on the Search for the Malaysian Jet

Who organizes and coordinates the search-and-rescue effort?

A.
This is all coordinated by the Malaysian government. They coordinate both the water-space and the airspace management. I give them a lot of credit. They have done what I would call an exceptional job. It’s like a big chessboard out there. It’s really like moving chess pieces around, and that’s 3-D. You have three dimensions, you have the water-space and the airspace.

If you don’t do a good job of it, there is a very real possibility of an accident. I give a lot of credit to the Malaysian government. They have a very well-organized plan. They track all these assets coming in from all these countries, they make assignments, and they’re very efficient, very professional.

http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/...tw-share&_r=1&
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:34 am

- ICAO
- Malaysian authorities
- Airlines

Major exaggeration IMHO
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex

- ICAO
- Malaysian authorities
- Airlines

Even though I do agree that there will be lessons learnt, I don't agree with the fact that the SAR needs to be improved.

First, the plane needs to be found. Then one has to understand what happend and why. After that, one can make conclusions. SAR can only be performed on information available.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Based on Vietnam's own announcement yesterday they had ceased searching. Good enough for you?

They have started up again today it seems, at what intensity level I have my own thoughts on, but it seems more and more clear the plane had turned back well over Malaysia - for reasons none of us know.
Where do you pick up that? From what i gather from CNN: Vietnamese teams will stop searching the sea south of Ca Mau province, the southern tip of Vietnam, and shift the focus to areas east of Ca Mau, said Doan Luu, the director of international affairs at the Vietnamese Civil Aviation Authority.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.